AKS MK3 Octavia vRS Project

IbizaAlex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gave it its first oil change at 200 miles to the Millers 5w40 Nanodrive.  Oil temps now run around 5 degs lower.

20160514_124908_zpsgniotqje.jpg

Peron intercooler all fitted.  Not a 5 min job!

20160514_110321_zpsuihz1dge.jpg

20160514_171715_zpsbphw47qr.jpg

20160514_171733_zpsb4qz8joy.jpg

Intake side all complete.  BMC panel filter, Revo Carbon front section, and Turbo Technics intake pipe.  Get a little more induction noise now too.

20160519_115922_zpstnyvog9l.jpg

Forge short shift kit with 42DD solid cable ends.  Transformed the shifting now.

20160518_203051_zpsul9zvmln.jpg

20160518_211224_zpsfhosuwvp.jpg

• Like 4

Added the vRS 230 front sill trims.  One latest ones that come with the 220 are rubbish.  I think that Skoda got their left and rights mixed up on the fitting kits!  Coated them both with Gtechnic C5.

20160525_192655_zpsznifvh12.jpg

Added the vRS rear trims too.

20160517_095328_zpsadgwp6hb.jpg

• Like 2

How hard do you need to be driving a vRS to get any benefit from the oil cooler and oil type changes. Mine sits at around 105 DegC on a normal motorway cruise. Surely that's going to be well inside the designers normal range? I haven't had a car before that I even knew what the oil temperature was so not too concerned. Like the splitter though, who's the supplier?

How hard do you need to be driving a vRS to get any benefit from the oil cooler and oil type changes. Mine sits at around 105 DegC on a normal motorway cruise. Surely that's going to be well inside the designers normal range? I haven't had a car before that I even knew what the oil temperature was so not too concerned. Like the splitter though, who's the supplier?

Oil temps over 120 degs is when you need to look at getting extra cooling.  Thinner weight oil will get thinner the hotter it gets and then lose protection.  The 5w30 also mists when its hotter so burns off through the PCV system.  The 5w40 doesn't do that as easily.

I drive hard and know the benefits of using a higher quality oil.  The Millers Nanodrive is about the best oil money can buy.  Contains fullerene molecules. 

The splitter is from a UK company called Maxton Design.

• Like 1

Lovely! How's the Ride on the H&R Monos?

Ride is great.  The original suspension is way too soft for a so called performance version.  The H&R doesn't jump around and bounce.  Far more feel and confidence inspiring.  Comfy too.

How big is the weight difference between those alloy arms and standard version? Trying to understand here what is gained from changing them?

Small weight saving over the pressed steel versions.  Every little helps.  The advantage is the caster increase and superior bushes.  No extra harshness, just a car that goes where you point it.

• Like 1

This is fantastic. And reading through previous posts you've answered God you know your stuff. Wish I had the knowledge. Solid work man

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

And Alex is a damn good fabricator

I do try :)

Wow this is awesome, where did you get the suspension parts? I'm finding it tough finding parts

I own a company called AKS Tuning.  This is our new demo car so all the bits you see are ones we supply.

Prepped the new front calipers ready for install.  This stuff should help protect them from the brake dust and corrosion.  The joys of full on race calipers where real paint adds weight!

20160611_194200_001_zps9wmeep2b.jpg

Test fitted the new rear calipers to make sure they fit.  Sent them off for refurb in the same grey as the fronts.  310mm vented discs.  Very happy that they don't have the electronic handbrakes!

20160616_192234_zpsgrhwgyp4.jpg

Subtle mod.  The wiper blank from 'Kill All Wipers'.  Perfect fit.

20160616_195810_zpslis6exkx.jpg

The one thing I couldn't have been more disappointed about with the car is the standard seats.  WTF were they thinking.  No lumber support, soft, they sit too high, leather sags.  Rubbish.  I wish I hadn't wasted the extra on the electronic adjustment and memory.  So a set of Recaro Wingbacks were sourced and fitted to make sure I get on with them (I also have them in the old car) before I send them off to be retrimmed to match the rear seats.  I can now go round corners without swapping into the passenger seat or have to use my knee against the centre console.  Far more supportive and comfy.  Yes I have lost the electronic adjustment, but they are heated still.

20160617_203559_zpsiwahv2gu.jpg

20160620_202956_zpspbmglraz.jpg

Old and new.  Love them both.

20160618_090544_zpsdwsavqtt.jpg

• Like 3

I own a company called AKS Tuning.  This is our new demo car so all the bits you see are ones we supply.

Awesome will check out ur company :) do you do a club discount?

• 2 weeks later...

what are the brakes your fitting Alex?  6 pot on the front, is that on the same disc or bigger?  And some 1 pots on the rear on larger discs, what are the rear calipers and are you confident the set up will have the right brake balance?

what are the brakes your fitting Alex?  6 pot on the front, is that on the same disc or bigger?  And some 1 pots on the rear on larger discs, what are the rear calipers and are you confident the set up will have the right brake balance?

The fronts are AP Pro5000 6 pots on the 362mm AP discs.  Rear are S3 with the 310mm discs.  Even the current balance with the tiny rears is ok.  Tyres become the limiting factor to stopping.