North Coast 500

JamboDave

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bud,

Not sure of campsites, but near every wee village has a site with facilities. Worth a stop in Durness, it's magical, and smoo cave is there. There's a really unique shop there to which sells things you can't get elsewhere, like fair trade crafts. Best village on the coastline.

Might add the camera van is patrolling and hiding up that way regular up NW. Take care and have a good run.

G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

If you truly want the adventure...

You can wild camp in scotland. Be more than 50yards from the road, pack it in, pack it out, avoid open fires.

Be camped before sunset, that's sunset of the spot ( campsite ) ground, not your head. The midge will get you as soon as there is shade.

Wash with a morning dip in the rivers & lochs ;)

It's definitely on my 'to do' list - this year would be good as well :thumbup:

Have a plan to take my Mazda - just a fair trek of motorways to get there first! Might plan a non-motorway route to get me up there :)

• Administrators

It's definitely on my 'to do' list - this year would be good as well :thumbup:

Have a plan to take my Mazda - just a fair trek of motorways to get there first! Might plan a non-motorway route to get me up there :)

Avoid Glasgow/Stirling band any time between 3pm and 7pm. I caught it at 3:30 the other day and took a 2hour hit to my day. Caught it at 6:15 the day before and took a 1hr hit. It's crazy, made some of it up once north mind ;) Watch out if zipping up the A9 and if coming back down as you head to cumbria on the m-ways.

Really M-way and cruise at 70, the goal is north of the flatlands, relax till you need to focus :)

• Administrators

Been planning on doing it on the push bike for a while. It is just getting the right opportunity when the sun is out and the midges not.

Any time after May :) The midge can't keep up in a breeze or above 4mph. Although some seem to.

Would be really nice on a bike too. Prob harder than the alps though as many many more indistinct hillocks.

Avoid Glasgow/Stirling band any time between 3pm and 7pm.

Oh yeah, know what you mean - I know it well! Have family up that way.

Would be really nice on a bike too. Prob harder than the alps though as many many more indistinct hillocks.

Yeh the French very kindly seem to keep Gradients constant and pegged at app 10%!! 

Most of my training these days is in the Dales or Forest of Bowland so constant undulations are pretty common place :)

drove from Wick to ullapool via durness 

the ullapool to wick via lairg on saturday !!

absolutley beautiful day .. 23 degrees all day ! 

views and the roads are unbelievable ! will be doing this regularly i think !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful roads.... I've done the route at various times over the years... just not all in 1 trip and before it was known as NC500

• Administrators

Anyone want to do this, this weekend/early next week?

I have a vRS230 on loan as of tomorrow for the week. Need to be up and back to Sheffield thu/fri to wed/thu.

I can get you on the press insurance etc :) Will be a bit quicker than the 5day camping itinerary plan... can discuss.

I'll be going clockwise and grabbing some of the outlier Munros too I think for one of the days. Got to get some video too :D

• Administrators

Done some planning today, it's around 1300 miles.

A lot of driving, not too much, but getting close to it.

Then I've got to do the video/story bit... after a bit more planning I'm not sure I can do it, not with a few other things I must get done this week.

I still want to do it all and I reckon we should firm something up for later in the year. Given sep/oct is ideal weather too. I can be up there to see a client and kill two birds, or 700 miles on business ;)

Done some planning today, it's around 1300 miles.

A lot of driving, not too much, but getting close to it.

Then I've got to do the video/story bit... after a bit more planning I'm not sure I can do it, not with a few other things I must get done this week.

I still want to do it all and I reckon we should firm something up for later in the year. Given sep/oct is ideal weather too. I can be up there to see a client and kill two birds, or 700 miles on business ;)

45p/mile off the tax bill? ;)

• Administrators

Definitely off the tax bill but also out of my own pocket... robbing colin to pay colin.

I like the idea of meeting up along the way and enjoying the sections. I've got a few ideas for spots to film/camp (50m off road) from a quick run around on google maps.