Roomster Scout ride quality

Does anyone else out there think the general ride of the Roomster Scout in really harsh on the standard 16's. 

Would a change to 15's lessen the 'crashy' ride over the suburban rally stage otherwise known as Birmingham roads?

Yes!  Especially if your tyres are Turanzas.

Scout tyres are both wider, and have lower profile than tyres fitted to other models.

I found them unacceptably harsh and noisy on mine

The ride quality of my SE is unbelievably better. 

If I were to buy another Scout, the very first thing I would do is to fit a set of standard wheels & tyres.

• Like 1

Phew, not just me then! 

As well as complaints from wife and child, I'm also finding the rear of the car unpredictable and prone to pogo in bends.

Looks like some 15's are required - I thought about keeping the 16's to refit for the sake of originality come sale time, but do people really care that much? 

Hi there B1ackb1rd,

My 15's are now shod with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, MUCH quieter than previous multi-V pattern tyres, and lower rolling resistance, so more MPG.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi there B1ackb1rd,

My 15's are now shod with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, MUCH quieter than previous multi-V pattern tyres, and lower rolling resistance, so more MPG.

Richard

Good news. Just need a set of 15's before I find myself divorced ... 

Well mine came with 19/55/15 steel wheels and the ride is ideal. Not too harsh, not too soft. Now I am running on Pirelli P1 Verde and I am quite happy with them. The only minus of specific 195/55/15 dimension is the ridiculously high prices, while 185/60/15 are about 100 to 150 euros cheaper per set (4 tyres). Very tempting to do so but then I am afraid of loosing that great balance between comfort and grip / stability.

Edited by stratosg

Checked my tyre pressures today; 36 fronts and rears !

I've adjusted to standard 2.2 bar front, 2.2 bar rear - the drive to work tomorrow will be interesting 

• 7 months later...

Well resurrecting this interesting thread as I want to know if there is any major security / safety issues if I replace my 195/55/15 tyres with 195/60/15 ones, as the 55's are ridiculously overpriced.

So to make myself clear, beyond speedometer erratic measurement will there any other risks? I am well aware that I have to follow manufacturer's guidelines etc. I also asked Skoda in facebook and I am waiting for their answer.

Thank you in advance. 

Have you then also checked the 185/55R15 tyre dimension? I think that would be more reasonable (Golf mk3 size, isn't it?).

I believe the 195/55 was only fitted to the VR6, but also a dimension now seen on new Polo and Fabia, right?

(Maybe Roomster sub 1.2TSI engines has this listed in filler cap.)

Edited by WAUOla

I replaced Turanzas (came with car) with new tires. I chose Hankook K115 VentusPrime2 in the same size as originals 205/45R16. Ride is much smoother and more quiet. 

2016-09-06%2B18.28.09.jpg

2016-09-06%2B18.28.29.jpg

+

Yes I thought about changing my SCOUT wheels to a smaller size ,but was concerned about insurance implications.

Has anyone approached their insurance company about the issue and were they understanding?

We all know how they will find anyway they can ,to refuse a claim.

There was something recently in the press about notifying your insurance if you changed to winter tyres,but in the end the powers that be ,said that wasn,t necessary.

Anyway just a thought to ponder.

I will keep to my existing wheels and tyres ,and keep the tyre pressures to the minimum specification.If we has good normal roads the Scout rough ride thing,would not be an issue.

• Like 1

+

Yes I thought about changing my SCOUT wheels to a smaller size ,but was concerned about insurance implications.

Has anyone approached their insurance company about the issue and were they understanding?

We all know how they will find anyway they can ,to refuse a claim.

There was something recently in the press about notifying your insurance if you changed to winter tyres,but in the end the powers that be ,said that wasn,t necessary.

Anyway just a thought to ponder.

I will keep to my existing wheels and tyres ,and keep the tyre pressures to the minimum specification.If we has good normal roads the Scout rough ride thing,would not be an issue.

I discussed with insurance when I changed my standard Scout 16" alloy wheels for Roomster 15" alloy wheels with winter tyres. 

The issue was 'are they designed for this model' and 'rolling diameter' 

Both questions easily dealt with - and I'm now enjoying the joint benefits of higher profile tyres AND better grip under 8 degrees C

Have you then also checked the 185/55R15 tyre dimension? I think that would be more reasonable (Golf mk3 size, isn't it?).

I believe the 195/55 was only fitted to the VR6, but also a dimension now seen on new Polo and Fabia, right?

(Maybe Roomster sub 1.2TSI engines has this listed in filler cap.)

In that dimension you mentioned, the prices are also ridiculously high. I do not get it. And in FB manufacturers do not respond to that question since September. I also asked Skoda in FB, no response from them either.