What to buy...

This summer I'll be replacing my Swing FM to something better. The car in question is a 2013 Fabia (vRS), but this will be applicable to any model and I hope it can turn out useful for more of us :)

I bought the car last autumn and I have replaced the Swing three times, but changed my mind and gone back to the original on all three occasions. First was a Pioneer x3-something-dab, second was an rcd310-dab, and third was an rcd510-dab. All of them bought second hand. All of them bought because I didn't want to spend a lot of money and thought I could live with something low - mid range. To put it short, I was wrong. None of these units felt good enough for me. The Pioneer was like an 80's movie made in 2010. Horrible interface and design. Could never get the car integration 100%. Sound was good. Appradio (app mirroring) was a joke.

Rcd310 and Rcd510 was just as expected. Sound was worse than the Swing, which I think sounds pretty good. None of them were 100% compatible with steering wheel, probably just needed a recode. Ended up selling the 310 a bit cheaper and the 510 for a bit more than I paid.

Right now I am using the Swing, but with an android tablet mounted in front of the display (with magnets) and I use it as sort of a head unit when I'm in the car. Works better than any of the other units, but I want something permanent and excellent.

Contenders are:

* Columbus dab+, as new as possible. Ideally I would like the Columbus from the new Skoda models, but they are completely different from the old ones and probably not compatible?

* Top of the line Android unit with 100% compatibility (steering wheel, parking sensors, bluetooth, air condition etc)

* Kenwood 525DAB or 521DAB (same requirements as Android, and app mirroring from iPhone or Android)

* Something else...?

How has your experiences been with regards to replacing the stereo? Anything that should be avoided? Do you have anything to recommend?

• Like 1

I'm happy with my Columbus, but it shows its age when it can't support video other than DVDs and with the method of upgrading the navigation maps. It is the cheapest and safest choice however.

The Android units have much more to offer but are usually made in China in all aspects including aesthetics. They rarely match with the car's 'feeling'.

The Kenwoods are top notch when it comes to sound quality, features and built, but are very expensive and also don't fit with the car.

It really it is your choice to make. All of them will work with your Fabia, although they may need an adaptor or something. The new Columbus (MIB II) may work but will it physically fit to the Fabia?

Having had a Kenwood DNX525DAB for over 9 months, sound wise it's great (with the speakers upgraded) but there are various niggles with it that don't make it perfect especially considering how much it costs. I don't think I would have bought it knowing what I do now - yes, it's good but not worth the money.

The Chinese Android based head units look good on paper but how reliable are they in the long run?

Have you thought of keeping the Swing and upgrading the speakers as the OE ones are pretty basic to improve the sound quality?

Cheers,

Andrew

It all depends on what you are after.

I bought a 'no-name' Android head-unit back in 2014. It was surprisingly plug and play. Most of the things worked - steering controls, PDC display etc; the climatronic panel on mine is the old type so I never got the climate info on the screen, but it should work on the face-lift climatronic panel .The screen was a large 8" and very good display quality plus the touch screen was very responsive. The best part is the maps are free and you can update them anytime you want through a WiFi connection. You can use any navigation application from the play store and most of them are free.

While it was good, I could never get it to work with the Skoda amplifier in my car, so the sound was worse off than the audience head unit that came with my car. And the button back-lights on mine did not match with the green hue on the other buttons on the dash. No maxidot compatibility and the Bluetooth interface was not exactly great either.

If you want 100% OE integration (like matching button back light colours and maxidot functions), I suggest getting a Skoda head unit. The Android ones are very advanced in functionality and you can customize them according to your needs.

I sold mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm on the fence on what to get next. Here are a few pictures of the unit I got:

LzNGccy.jpg

OistAip.jpg

YHCtg2E.jpg

S1G5wdY.jpg

sXVVK9w.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input so far :) I want "everything". I want the compatibility of a Columbus with all the features of an Android HU... How does bluetooth work with the Kenwood and/or Android units? My Fabia has the external bluetooth-receiver. Will it continue to use this? Did you get directions and other info on the maxidot with these units?

Thanks for the input so far :) I want "everything". I want the compatibility of a Columbus with all the features of an Android HU... How does bluetooth work with the Kenwood and/or Android units? My Fabia has the external bluetooth-receiver. Will it continue to use this? Did you get directions and other info on the maxidot with these units?

Hi

From my research, I do not think such a unit exists (i.e. android with the full functions of Columbus).

But I have come across an Android unit demoed by a German Youtuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goUZKUoMN1s

From what I have seen in the video that looks like a very impressive unit. It is made by a company called Audio-sources from China (they have been around from a while making VW look alike radios for a good price). The unit shown in that video is one of their android models running on a custom firmware developed by Russians - link

Cheers

Did anyone try the Newsmy VW/Skoda/Seat version of their carpad? Seems to be one of the best regarded units on xda-developers, and should integrate fully with our cars, even with maxidot apparently.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Newsmy-NR5261-01-android-4-4-quad-core-car-dvd-8-inch-for-For-VW-GOLF/1579037_32604903068.html

Only thing I'm worried about is the bluetooth stuff. I'd really like to keep using my current integrated bluetooth-receiver, but suspect I can only do that with a VW/Skoda stereo.

• Like 1

Any use for what you're looking for.......?

http://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-GPS/GA5153F.html#photo

Maybe... There are so many different Chinese HU's. Been looking at the VW/Skoda version of the Newsmy Carpad 3 as it seems to be one of the most popular ones on XDA-developers, but unsure if I can get an addon (or monkeyboard) to enable dab+ for it.

And what about bluetooth? As far as I understand, from factory, the bluetooth-module is not part of the stereo, so if I install an android HU and use the included bluetooth, can I just unpair and "block" the built in one and have no more issues with it? Maxidot, steering wheel phone controls etc. will not get confused by this?

And what about bluetooth? As far as I understand, from factory, the bluetooth-module is not part of the stereo, so if I install an android HU and use the included bluetooth, can I just unpair and "block" the built in one and have no more issues with it? Maxidot, steering wheel phone controls etc. will not get confused by this?

Yes, the Bluetooth module is separate to the HU (under driver's seat on UK spec car).  I disconnected the wiring connector and tucked this into the hole in the carpet and removed the module for safe keeping (so I could fit a fire extinguisher under the driver's seat).  The phone option no longer appears on the maxi-dot display and the steering wheel buttons for the phone no longer operate so I have to use the screen on my Kenwood HU for the phone.  May be other HUs interface to the car better than the DNX525DAB but for the number of times I use the phone whilst driving, I'm not too bothered.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

After pondering for a long time and looking at several android-based offerings, I might go for a Columbus with led, ssd and dab+, and mount my 8" samsung tab beneath the stereo somehow. That way I can use that for waze, spotify, obd2 connection etc. while keeping a stereo-system that's 100% compatible.

No matter which Android HU's I looked at, there's always something that isn't completely compatible with the car, and the bluetooth-stuff is a deal breaker for me I think.

Edited by Aslak

• 3 weeks later...

After pondering for a long time and looking at several android-based offerings, I might go for a Columbus with led, ssd and dab+, and mount my 8" samsung tab beneath the stereo somehow. That way I can use that for waze, spotify, obd2 connection etc. while keeping a stereo-system that's 100% compatible.

No matter which Android HU's I looked at, there's always something that isn't completely compatible with the car, and the bluetooth-stuff is a deal breaker for me I think.

Well... Changed my mind again and ordered this (not from this place though).

http://www.erisineurope.com/index.php?id_product=93&controller=product

Ordered with dab+, 4g usb modem and also came with a (probably cheap and useless) backup camera.

30-day money back return, so if I'm not happy it goes back.

It would have been a Columbus if they had cost half as much. I really don't want to pay 6-700 euros for a used dab-unit which hasn't gotten any new features the last, what, six-seven years?

• 2 months later...

Well... Changed my mind again and ordered this (not from this place though).

http://www.erisineurope.com/index.php?id_product=93&controller=product

Ordered with dab+, 4g usb modem and also came with a (probably cheap and useless) backup camera.

30-day money back return, so if I'm not happy it goes back.

It would have been a Columbus if they had cost half as much. I really don't want to pay 6-700 euros for a used dab-unit which hasn't gotten any new features the last, what, six-seven years?

Hi aslak, How is this unit working for you since you installed it?

I'm very interested in something similar with a good sat nav and rear camera.

Hi! Here are some of my experiences in random order...

The install was easier than I expected. It has the same connector on the back as the original units, so all I did was plug it in. There are also a bunch of other connectors for amps, sub etc. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside the dash and reception is spotless. The FM radio uses the original antennas without any adapters, but reception is worse than with the Swing. Apparently this could be due to signal amplification, or lack there of. Not sure, I mostly use dab anyway. DAB does work fine, reception isn't quite up to an OEM install, but that's probably down to the crappy antenna which came with the unit. Haven't bothered replacing it yet. The dab-app is also limited, but works fine. Guess that's due to the Chinese not having DAB themselves?

Sound quality is worse than my Swing (which actually sounds very good), it's almost like there's a sound system in the car which the Swing uses but the Android doesn't know about. A dealer did say to me once that the VRS has a DSP/sound system, but I don't think it does. After installing an alternative firmware/rom and playing around with audio settings and effects, it sounds tolerable.

The screen is nice and bright with good resolution (8", 1024 x 600), although it's placed slightly deeper in the unit than I expected. Thought it would be flush with the dash but it's about 1cm "behind" the frame. Touch response is great, no issues.

Steering wheel controls works out of the box, but can be reconfigured if needed.

The original firmware only let me use 1gb for app installs, so that filled up quickly. This is not a problem on the rooted/unofficial firmware. I do however notice the unit becoming slower the more apps are installed, so I try to keep to a minimum (Spotify, Waze, Facebook, a couple of others).

For navigation, iGO was included in the package and works fine, although I prefer Waze. Haven't gotten a sim for the 4g stick yet, so I'm using wireless tethering on my mobile when I'm in the car.

Bluetooth: Disconnected the bluetooth-module under the right front seat, then connected the phone to the Android unit. Works fine.

MFD will display input selection, but no details. No NAV display. This might be doable, but I haven't read up on it.

When cold booting, it takes 20-30 seconds to start. You can set a timeout for how long the unit stays on, sleeping, after power off (key removed). Default is three minutes, max is two hours. I set mine to max. I'm told the reversing camera should work instantly, but I haven't installed mine (yet?) so I can't really confirm that.

Supposedly the stereo utilizes two mics. One built in and one external. I mounted the external to the right of the steering wheel, in the dash. No issues with phone audio quality.

Interface looks pretty basic. I'm not really 100% happy with any of the home screens available, but they work fine. I'd prefer something like the Blaupunkt Cape Town interface/launcher. Of course, this is Android, so you can make whatever you want your launcher. As default UI is a little bit 90's. No flat design here.

If you're doing lots of stuff at once, it can get laggy, but that would happen to any unit I think. I can listen to dab with sound processing, while using Waze and check mail at the same time with no issues. No split screen though.

I think that's about it. Are you curious about something in particular? I'll answer what I can :)