yowzah, something called an EGR, just cost me £1,100

As others have said," driving like a nanny" is one of the causes which I had Skoda say to me at 50000 miles , forgot actual figure but it was very expensive.The mechanic first tried cleaning it but it did not last and when going back they said it has seized again.I now drive different.

• 8 months later...

I feel your pain, i got stiffed for £800+ had a word with the dealer about it,not interested in any goodwill,they said i should take it up with skoda which i did ,skoda said i should take it up with the dealer?

So no joy! Wouldnt mind but the water pump went at 50000( egr at 70000) car wasnt 5 years old! Full dealer service history as well. As much as i like the car 2012 1.6 tdi i will be reluctant to get another skoda.

So no joy! Wouldnt mind but the water pump went at 50000( egr at 70000) car wasnt 5 years old! Full dealer service history as well. As much as i like the car 2012 1.6 tdi i will be reluctant to get another skoda.

Interesting - my similar 2012 1.6 tdi needed a new water pump at 57000 miles. It went from a small coolant loss (which I topped up) to pouring out rapidly in the three mile journey to the Skoda dealer.

The timing belt also needed replacement because of coolant contamination.

Good news is that I have an independent insurance policy which covered this in full. Since then I have had new rear wiper motor through the insurance policy.

I had called the the insurance company before taking out the policy to get it confirmed that EGR failure is covered. They agreed it is.

The reason for taking out the policy is that EGR replacement is so expensive and that, in my view, once the diesel gate fix has been applied, the risk/gamble ratio is in my favour. I note your EGR failed around 70,000 miles.

So far I am in profit and I also don't need to do the timing belt this year. Part of my decision to buy the policy is the hard line taken by Skoda on goodwill, even on four year old cars with full Skoda service history.

Hi pikpilot,my coolant did the same,i noticed the level was down and i kept topping it up,then it just went completly,so new pump ,timing belt and pullys,the egr went and as im sure you know skoda and the dealers washed their hands with it,the skoda mechanic at the dealership told me that they were well aware that the egr was an issue as they had been told by skoda to expect this to be a common problem!!! £860 odd. Have you heard of these problems now occurring with engines that have had the fix? Thats all i need!

By the way do you mind if i ask what insurance policy you took out as i like the sound of that,i bought a skoda purely because i thought i was buying reliability,to be honest i think all blinking cars have their issues nowadays,too damn complicated,now ive got the airbag light up on the dash,it never rains but it pours!!

Cheers ian.

Have you heard of these problems now occurring with engines that have had the fix? Thats all i need!

By the way do you mind if i ask what insurance policy you took out as i like the sound of that,i bought a skoda purely because i thought i was buying reliability,to be honest i think all blinking cars have their issues nowadays,too damn complicated,now ive got the airbag light up on the dash,it never rains but it pours!!

Cheers ian.

The increased risk of EGR failure after the "fix" is purely my deduction after reading many on-line threads about the options available to VAG to improve emissions without AdBlue. More exhaust recirculation is an easy option and perhaps confirmed by your quote that Skoda believe EGR issues will become a common problem.

I will send you a personal message later today about the insurance policy as I belive I may have enhancements not commonly offered.

EGR's and DPF's are a common weak spot across all manufacturers, not just Skoda, and as has been mentioned, probably the most likely cause is how the car is driven so you can't blame the manufacturer for that.

I would say the majority of car users do not have a clue what an egr or dpf is and purely buy a diesel car because of the mpg claims even if they are low annual mileage users. Car dealerships have a lot to answer for in this regard. They should recommend the correct fuel type but typically do not.

With regard to the OP topic he has not been ripped off. As mentioned he was given a price and chose to accept it. I don't know Sisbury's hourly rate but what is the breakdown of the bill? The labour is most likely the biggest part.