Fabia vRS front anti roll bar bushes, changed but still knocking

So I've had knocking from the front left for a few years now, had many shops check what's the issue but "everything is tight", until recently when it started knocking from the left even when hitting bumps with the right side. I immediately suspected the ARB bushes as the ARB connects both sides. Rising the front of the car, mild shaking with hand shows noticeable movement on the left side.

So off to the local parts store, searching with VIN number they found 18mm are the ones I need (dirt cheap, something like 2 EUR per piece), but to make sure we measured the ARB which is 20mm in diameter. The seller assured me I need the larger ones so he sold me the 20mm bushes (3,5 EUR per piece).

First I noticed the worn bushes were actually smaller diameter (although worn on one side to 20mm). Fitted these with not much trouble only to find out that now the right side is knocking even louder than the left was before.

Could it be the bushes are just too large to fit snugly around the ARB? I also noticed the ARB was significantly corroded on the right side hence the knocking.

The ARB is the uprated one luckily, no plastic sleeves, just 20mm bar all the way with metal stops.

I've already bought the 18mm ones, will post feedback once I change them (again...).

Change the drop links next since its also linked to the ARB and your pretty sure thats whats giving you the problem.

They are also quiet a cheap part only costing a few Euro id imagine.

+1  also --can only speak for rear ARB   but the factory bushes are approx 2mm smaller than the bar when new  whereas poly bushes seem to be to size,  I asked on here about this but got no opinions

+1  also --can only speak for rear ARB   but the factory bushes are approx 2mm smaller than the bar when new  whereas poly bushes seem to be to size,  I asked on here about this but got no opinions

Polybushes don't crush, standard ones do, hence the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Am using 16mm standard bushes for 18mm front ARB (-2mm rule :-) > just like advised in spare parts catalogue.

Fits fine, replacement- easy, lasts +/- 90'000km.

No crushing of bushes noticed- just bores gets a bit oval after years. Still no noticable wear on ARB after 210'000km.

I prefer to check them when swiveling car left/righ with pushing just above rear door-to-roof area; and with wheels to left/right full lock bouncing ARB can be noticed on eye and ear.

• 3 weeks later...

Change the drop links next since its also linked to the ARB and your pretty sure thats whats giving you the problem.

They are also quiet a cheap part only costing a few Euro id imagine.

You were right, turned out the right drop link was busted, changed both L&R and now the car is quiet as it should be. Couldn't believe that after only two years they went out, the original ones lasted for nine years!

I've left the 20 mm bushes, will see how long they will last.

Cheap pattern parts no doubt. I had similar when I had mine changed within a year to 18 months they went again so I fitted some Meyle had ones and all is well.

Am using Lemfoerder (alias Boge/Sachs = ZF group) parts for suspension repairs- no prob's with them, too.

+Have suspicion that OEM is Lemfoerder too.

OEM drop links (those, from conveyor) lasted 5 years / 120k km.

You were right, turned out the right drop link was busted, changed both L&R and now the car is quiet as it should be. Couldn't believe that after only two years they went out, the original ones lasted for nine years!

I've left the 20 mm bushes, will see how long they will last.

Glad that sorted it :)

Cheap pattern parts no doubt. I had similar when I had mine changed within a year to 18 months they went again so I fitted some Meyle had ones and all is well.

I have Meyle HD ones on mine too. They seem very well made - and the rods are thicker than the standard ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the droplinks that went bust after two years were Lemforder, now I installed Febi Bilstein; IMO, all of them look identical.

• 1 year later...

Merle HD all the way! Thicker, stronger, last longer. They are apparently also easier to tighten as they have a spanner grip to tighten/hold still easier. Make sure they are well TIGHT THOUGH, AS WITH ANY AS THEY WILL STILL RATTLE IF EVER SO SLIGHTLY LOOSE. 

• Like 1

In my case the ARB bushings and droplinks went bust. I hear that already one "new" droplink is giving way... Lemforder and Febi Bilstein are no good, will try the Meyle HD next.

I have fitted cheap drop links, but they have only lasted 18 months. I have heard good things about Meyle HD ones. They are thicker and come with a 4 year warranty. Where is the best place to buy them (excluding FleBay)?

On 23/08/2017 at 19:52, Jim H said:

I have fitted cheap drop links, but they have only lasted 18 months. I have heard good things about Meyle HD ones. They are thicker and come with a 4 year warranty. Where is the best place to buy them (excluding FleBay)?

Google shopping shows a few alternatives. Also, Amazon. Check parts numbers match from the Meyle site.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

To refresh the post, I've installed the Meyle HD stabiliser bars, they really look massive, at least 50% thicker than regular ones. I've also completely rehauled the suspension (new shocks etc) but again loud knocking is audible, and this time I suspect it's the bushes I've put up year and a half ago.

The seller gave me 20mm bushes for the 20mm ARB. You guys all mentioned they should've been 18mm (the -2mm rule), seems they wore out prematurely.

Now I'm ****ed because after all this expense the car is still knocking, when will it ever end :(