Stage 2 cr170

Evening all

Been thinkin about remapping the vrs again cr170.. it already has stage 1 dsg and stage 1 engine map which I've had for a year nearly from revo...

But now I'm use to the power I'm thinking what next can I do to get few more horses from the octy and was thinking stage 2 but for another 450 quid is it worth it for another 15bhp say and I also lose dpf... as I like having the dpf knowing no black smoke is coming from the exhaust...

What's everyone thoughts and has anyone done stage 1 and then 2

Thanks kelby

• Like 1

if you dont want any smoke you need to keep the dpf , like you say if you have the dpf gutted like i have the car will smoke when you boot it as its now a straight through exhaust ,

but the problem is you need the dpf removed to go past stage 1, it all depends how far you want to go if you want to fit a hybrid turbo at some point its worth it but if all you want is the extra 15bhp its a lot of money for not much gain . 

My DPF has gone i am mapped and no smoke...Unsure on the map though 

But getting to 70mph is scary ;)

Look on my Build thread i have video's of straight through exhaust...

Edited by vrsRo55

Well I want more than 15 bhp really but don't wanna go to mate as will look at new car next year... I don't know what stage 2 will get I'm guessing at another 15bhp or is it more??

Well that's what I heard mapped correctly you shouldn't get any black smore as it's a sign it's trying to regenerate.

How did you find stage to compared to stage 1 worth the change

Is there such thing as a stage 2?

I reckon if you are free flowing...ie DPF gutted and boxes deleted,then apart from panel filter.Your pretty much done.

Adding a bigger turbo or front mount i/c is just going to slip the clutch...Also don't think anyone has truely cracked the injector side of thing's.

I'm happy with what i have,I've owned a few tweaked diesel's and the VRS is very good,especially the cr170 lump.

I reckon mine's pushing over 200bhp but doesn't feel that torquey really.

When i have sorted the suspension,i will get it to a rolling road and possible remap.

• Like 1

Evening all

Been thinkin about remapping the vrs again cr170.. it already has stage 1 dsg and stage 1 engine map which I've had for a year nearly from revo...

But now I'm use to the power I'm thinking what next can I do to get few more horses from the octy and was thinking stage 2 but for another 450 quid is it worth it for another 15bhp say and I also lose dpf... as I like having the dpf knowing no black smoke is coming from the exhaust...

What's everyone thoughts and has anyone done stage 1 and then 2

Thanks kelby

How do you find the revolution map?
  • Like 1

How do you find the revolution map?

I find map great it's aggressive at low speeds but at higher speeds above 50 it just surges and surges 20mph at a time when your on it...

General driving very nice smooth just like driving it normally

Is there such thing as a stage 2?

I reckon if you are free flowing...ie DPF gutted and boxes deleted,then apart from panel filter.Your pretty much done.

Adding a bigger turbo or front mount i/c is just going to slip the clutch...Also don't think anyone has truely cracked the injector side of thing's.

I'm happy with what i have,I've owned a few tweaked diesel's and the VRS is very good,especially the cr170 lump.

I reckon mine's pushing over 200bhp but doesn't feel that torquey really.

When i have sorted the suspension,i will get it to a rolling road and possible remap.

I see so you haven't got it mapped yet...

Stage 2 is dpf delete and mapping it out which releases some horse's.. mine dsg so should handlet etc power

Stage 2 for me on the 1.6tdi was bigger turbo, s3 intercooler, hard pipework kit, stainless downpipe/dpf delete joined to a non-res Milltek system.

It can be mapped to be smoke free, if your pushing it for max power then you will get some smoke under full throttle.

I would reccomend the diwnpipe from Darkside Developments mated to the Milltek system, sounds fantastic but is quite cruising, best of both worlds :)

A GTB2566VK would fit and with the above mods up to 350bhp :)

Edited by DarrellGB

I'm unsure if it is or not but i would have thought so.

The DPF was gutted by previous owner.So can only think it was mapped at same time.

When i floor it the diesel does get used pretty quick.so i'd like to think it is mapped,no proof though.

I have had a few occasion's where people can't get past if you get me.

130 it tends's to slow down 50-100 pretty quick almost savage.

Can easily get 58mpg too.

Edited by vrsRo55

Should have read Revo. Predictive text

I find map great it's aggressive at low speeds but at higher speeds above 50 it just surges and surges 20mph at a time when your on it...

General driving very nice smooth just like driving it normally

• 2 weeks later...

Although my CR170 isn't DSG it's still running Stage 1 200+ brake. I reckon, from your initial post, your in a similar situation to me. I'm very much used to the power/torque of the car now and although not bored by any stretch, do wish it had more kick.

However, the offset in terms of price vs performance in that your gaining about a 7.5% increase just isn't worth it IMHO.

Personally, I'd leave it as it is.

• Like 1

Agree ^^^^

I'm concentrating on handling now.Amazing how much more use power is when handling is sorted.

It's pretty good standard. I am going 20-30mm lower trying springs on new shock's first.

Then ARB and some poly bushes.

Spacers also.

In future FMIC silicone hose's.Hybrid maybe.

I plan on keeping the car.

• Like 1

That's right I'm at the same point not bored as sometimes I think blimey this quick just wish it was about 230 250bhp and that would be a very quick diesel.. I think I won't bother with another map as it's not worth the little bhp increase that you get...

Handling is an option but wife loves the ride and doesn't want it ruined...

Might just plod on with it for more doing little bits here and there and look at audi a6 3.0 biturbo 320bhp standard and will get that mapped

It's funny mate because I was having a chat with my old man and we were discussing the power/torque of the CR and we agreed 250 brake would be a nice round number. Unfortunately, due to the car's limitations (didn't fully realise upon cars purchase), you'd need to spend ridiculous and I mean ridiculous money to get that sort of power.

Shane really as it would make your driving experience 100 times better. When people ask me what it can do I just smile and say it's a diesel and I don't do drag races. That way, I'm reminding myself why I opted for it in the first place.

At the end of the day, whatever decision you make will be right for you I'm sure, even if it means in the future getting a much more powerful motor.

I went straight from standard to stage 2 with dpf delete. Haven't looked back. Best thing I did. I'm pushing 220bhp and 327ftlb. Very very little smoke if I'm honest. Soot releases when booting it but clears up in a flash. Obviously I could have got more but we decided to keep to the lower end figures of a stage 2 for various reasons.

450 pound to gain 15 horses is a waste in my opinion though.