Longest wearing tyres

MillsyVRS

Is there an average sort of distance to expect from a good set of tyres if looked after on an average sort of car? I appreciate there's a lot of factors that come in to it, how soft or hard the tyre is etc, but I am close to replacing the Hankook Ventus Evo K120 I've got on at the moment and I'm pretty sure they must have done a good 35000 miles (well, 3 have, I got a puncture in one so had to put the newer Evo 2 on) . Obviously I had them swapped around and stuff, but wear wise have been brilliant on my Fabia MK2 vRS and are just getting down to the markers now.

Can this sort of range be expected or have I done quite well?

Amazing longevity on a Twincharger.

You obviously have a well set up geometry / alignment since many Mk2 Fabia vRS have tyres wearing unevenly on the front and rear.

Also you are clearly not a wheel spinner.

Many on the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx or Continentals are well worn before 15,000 miles.

The Pirelli Zero Nero that Skoda have fitted to the cars with Pulling Left last longer, but then have poor traction in the wet even with plenty of tread.

Do you think those tyres you are going to change have been on from the car coming from the factory.

ie when did you get the car and with how many miles, or have you had it from new?

I've had the car since new and it came with Pirelli P Zero Nero's which as you said were rubbish in the wet and could be easily spun and get the TC flashing even on dry roads. Plus they were noisy and not as good as the hankooks on fuel.

I'm pretty certain I got no more than about 20,000 miles out of them. Even if it was closer to 25,000 in approaching 60,000 now so Hankooks have done well. And I don't drive like miss daisy, they've certainly had some fast starts off the line! I do try and avoid using brakes when I can, and just ease off the gas instead and roll to a stop instead sort of thing.

Could be a bit better in the wet though.

• Like 1

I have had all sorts of tyres on vRS , Winters, Summers, All Seasons and managed to wreck them on

pot holes and ironworks or actually mostly other drivers in my cars have.

Seldom do tyres get long enough to wear out before they get sidewall damage in my household.

The very cheap Tigar Syneris i have on now in 205/40 R 17 have been very good, good in the cold and wet and this week in the sun and heat.

I am going to get ones in 205/45 R 17 next.

I have on rims already sets of 215/40 R 17  in either Dunlop Sport Maxx, Pirelli Zero Nero and Maxxis AP2 if i want to change, but the Tigar are doing well.

Much Cheapness, but i reckon super value, and strong.  Traction is good as well which is the most important thing.

http://atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/tigar-tyres

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/tigar/syneris

(Michelin own the Tigar Company & Factory. Not saying they are Michelin's, just that they are not ditch finders.)

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I'm amazed at how long you can make a set of tyres last!  I currently run Rainsport 3's on my cars and really rate them as a good all round tyre but won't get anywhere near that mileage out of them.  I thought I was a careful driver and looked after my tyres but hats off to you Millsy, you win hands down.

The longest ever lasting tyres I'm aware of is a set of Pirelli P6000 my mate had on one of his cars.  I forget how many miles they had done when he took them off but they still had 5mm of tread left and he'd covered a huge amount of miles.  The trade off was scary handling, especially in the wet.

Edited by skinnyman

I'm amazed at how long you can make a set of tyres last! I currently run Rainsport 3's on my cars and really rate them as a good all round tyre but won't get anywhere near that mileage out of them. I thought I was a careful driver and looked after my tyres but hats off to you Millsy, you win hands down.

The longest ever lasting tyres I'm aware of is a set of Pirelli P6000 my mate had on one of his cars. I forget how many miles they had done when he took them off but they still had 5mm of tread left and he'd covered a huge amount of miles. The trade off was scary handling, especially in the wet.

Not looking to start a competition lol, I was just genuinely interested to know if it was fairly normal or if the tyres are good or I've done well to look after them! Maybe I should scrap the goodyears I was thinking of getting and get another set of the old Hankooks I've got on at the moment!

I don't really rate Pirelli's! Expensive and haven't heard much good about them so far.

• Like 1

I currently have a set of Toyo Proxes on mine because they came with the wheels I bought and had them about 2 years now but the front needs replacing as my tracking is out slightly.

May stick with them as my local tyre place has them in stock instead of ordering in causing me to wait

Michelin have a model of tyre which are branded as being able to do 20% extra mileage, although not sure what sort of figures they use to get that.

Will see how long the next set of tyres lasts!

I've managed to get ~35,000 miles out of a pair of Michelin Energy Saver Plus. They started life on the back and then rotated to the front. Still had a little life left but not enough to risk.

It's a MK1 Fabia PD100 so no thrills, and I tend to run higher tyre pressures for economy. No uneven tyre wear.

Without buying plastic ones from China, your best bet is probably Michelin. They used to fit them on the old mk1-2 polo's when they were new, and they were known for never wearing out. My mates still got one somewhere, dated 1980.

• Like 1