Insuring 2nd car/weekend car

Hi.

Was wondering what majority of people are doing in regards to insuring a 2nd car for purely weekend use / track use.

Is there anything specific made for this situation?

Are there such things as limited mileage policy for example taking too and from garages and to tracks?

Any help will be appreciated.

As I'm weighing up options on getting a 2nd car for track use.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Can't help but interested in the replies you get.

Thinking about a weekend toy at some point which would only do a few thousand a year.

• Like 1

I believe that there are limited mileage policies available. I know my Capri is on one albeit under classic car insurance. But it does mean that you can get some silly prices, I know of one guy who had a 3,000 mile policy with agreed valuation, which cost him a grand total of £70 a year! Though AFAIK in those situations, especially with classic cars, theres no NCB applied.

I'm sure one of our helpful sponsors will be around soon to help out!

• Like 1

I think it's common with bike insurance to have more than one on the policy and it not costing much more than the insurance for the highest risk vehicle. Simply because you can only ride one at a time. Current bikers might know better.

Edited by Aspman

I have the Eunos insured under classic car insurance, on a limited mileage policy. £90 a year.

Typically, 'classic' is considered at 20 yrs or old from point of manufacture, but it can different between cars and also insurers.

Mine's with Footman James.

• Like 1

I believe that there are limited mileage policies available. I know my Capri is on one albeit under classic car insurance. But it does mean that you can get some silly prices, I know of one guy who had a 3,000 mile policy with agreed valuation, which cost him a grand total of £70 a year! Though AFAIK in those situations, especially with classic cars, theres no NCB applied.

I'm sure one of our helpful sponsors will be around soon to help out!

To be fair, for £70, having no NCB is not exactly something to cry about ;) ;)

• Like 1

I have the Eunos insured under classic car insurance, on a limited mileage policy. £90 a year.

Typically, 'classic' is considered at 20 yrs or old from point of manufacture, but it can different between cars and also insurers.

Mine's with Footman James.

I also insured my eunos through footman james, I paid £90 a year too..... they were very good.... I could have added £35 to that and been insured for 5 track days a year.

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 2

£165.79 to add my Mk1 Fabia vRS to a multi car policy with Aviva as a normal use car same as the octavia (obviously no track intention though). That was with them mirroring my NCD for it. Good thing is I can take either car and am not restricted by low mileage. 

• Like 2

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have a number of schemes that should cater for this type of risk.

Regards,

Dan.

Will call you when i get back from holiday.

Be looking to insure both with you if a good deal is there.

Cheers

I also insured my eunos through footman james, I paid £90 a year too..... they were very good.... I could have added £35 to that and been insured for 5 track days a year.

Think it might have been you who suggested them to me Sharky :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping someone can maybe give me some clear guidance on car insurance, I'm sure I must be going wrong somewhere.

At the moment I currently own 3 cars. Initially, last September I had one car, but have since inherited 2 more. In September last year we owned (still do) the Fabia mk2 vRS. Since then, in February I took on ownership of my daughter's Fiat 500 as she didn't want to see it leave the family when changing her car (that's the problem when you start giving them bleedin names), and in May I inherited my dad's VW Golf following his sudden passing away.

All of my NCB is allocated to the policy on the Fabia, I have taken out two new policies for the Fiat and the Golf, with no ncb on either. I'm paying just over £200 for the Fiat (fully comp) and just under £300 for the Golf, again fully comp. Neither the Fiat or the Golf will cover many miles, maybe less than 4k per annum each.I'm finding it hard at the moment to go between the two to make sure they are kept moving so to speak.

Surely there has to be an easier and less expensive way for me to insure the cars? Would I have been able to add one or both of the recently received cars to the Fabia policy and saved money?

• Sponsor

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We could probably help out with a multi car policy due to the low usage. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Another angle for this is something like where I'm at. I have my standard Fabia Monte Carlo insured in its own policy, but I also have the Octy which is pretty much standard but stripped out, with the aim to lower it and do various other things. At the minute I'm sticking it on Tempcover for a couple of days at a time to avoid a £1000+ premium but at just under £100 per couple of days it will soon work out at little to no difference if not more and I can't drive it on any other days. I need to make some phone calls at some point I think.