Tyres, Videos, Mirrors for Octavia

G'day from Sydney

I've recently purchased a 2nd-hand 2012 Octavia 118TSI :)

A few questions for you seasoned Octavians:

1. Tyres:

It came with Bridgestone Turanza ER300 all corners. As Murphy's law would have it, I got a nail in the sidewall of one of the tyres - can't be patched.

Wgat tyres do you all use/recommend? Note that it doesn't get frosty cold here so the Michelin Alpin etc are not for me

2. Columbus system:

a) Surprised to find it plays DVD videos via the optical drive. Further surprised that it doesn't seem to be able to play videos via SD card, or any other file formats on a DVD disc. Is this true, or are there any special cases that do work? In SD mode, there is a large Video button on the display, but it's greyed out - seems like it has some sort of digital video capability?

B) TV tuner - possible to add an Aus TV tuner? Any idea of cost?

3. External side mirrors:

A friend's octavia has auto folding mirrors. Mine doesn't....is there any way to retrofit this at reasonable cost? ie so the mirrors fold in when holding the remote control's Lock button down.

Thanks folks

AS

Tyres I can't help you with, personally as long as it's a known brand then I'm sure most are fine for normal road use. Plenty of talk over in the tyre zone about various options on the MK2 Octavia and others: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/213-tyres-zone/

As far as I know, the Columbus can only play from DVD's, the SD card is purely for music and nothing else. It is possible to add a TV tuner to the Columbus (RNS 510) but I think it was only an option in Europe. Not sure if Australia broadcasts a similar TV signal or not but there are kits like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131792744199 which should be easy enough to add.

Auto folding mirrors are certainly possible as a retrofit as I've done it. Cost comes down to two things, where you source the new mirrors from (used vs new) and if your door controllers currently support folding mirrors. If you have a VCDS scan that'll tell you the part number for the door controllers and therefore if they need replacing.

• Like 1

Mine originally came with those Bridgestone Turanza tyres on. I had another pair fitted when they needed replacing but was never overly impressed with them.

I had some Goodyear Efficient Grip performance fitted yesterday. They were cheaper than the Bridgestones but have better fuel, wet grip and noise ratings and they feel much more planted and "grippy".

Thanks folks

"If you have a VCDS scan that'll tell you the part number for the door controllers and therefore if they need replacing"

..by 'door controllers', do you mean the rotary knob for side mirror adjustment? Mine don't have the 'fold mirrors' symbol... does that mean this dial would have to be replaced too?

VCDS - from a quick search, this is a cable I'd need to purchase, it seems. Is there anything I'd need to look out for before buying one? Any preferred version?

Re. the tyres - I walked into my regular tyre place intending to come out with my wallet  $300 lighter and a couple of new Michelin PS3 fitted. Just so happened he had a slightly used Turanza ER300 sitting there on his tyre rack :)

So I now have a full set of matching tyres, and I'm only $50 worse off woo!

I find the ER300 slightly quieter than the Goodyear Eagle F1 I put on my old Octavia. The F1s filled me with confidence in the dry or wet (and they looked great doing it) - the Bridgestones are yet to convince me, simply because I haven't driven them very hard as yet, or in the wet.

Edited by andresampras

Auto folding mirrors are certainly possible as a retrofit as I've done it. Cost comes down to two things, where you source the new mirrors from (used vs new) and if your door controllers currently support folding mirrors. If you have a VCDS scan that'll tell you the part number for the door controllers and therefore if they need replacing.

...oh and langers, did you get your mirrors online by any chance? Have you had any issues with them?

For a FL Octavia the micro-CAN is good or if you're ever likely to scan older cars a hex-CAN is the better option. If it's a genuine cable it'll hold its value and can be used on newer cars too. You might even find a local forum member who will help for beer tokens.

The door controller is behind the door panel and there is one per door. Not all versions fitted to the front doors are compatible with folding mirrors and will add a big expensive if needed. I always forget the mirror switch, I barely use mine as I tend to fold with the keys. It'll probably be the cheapest bit!

I got one mirror from eBay and switched all the plastics from my existing unit. The other I got cheaply from another member as it was for a LHD car so I had to switch the base to make it useful.

Not had any issues since fitting :-)

langers Is Ross Tech the best way to go for the micro-CAN?

watching this video is getting me all excited :)

Anyone out there have a spare micro-CAN? :)

might start another thread...

Rosstech is the only way to go if you want VCDS as they own it. The cable you buy contains the license for the software.

There are some other third party solution but VCDS is by far the best and worth the money.

Might be worth dropping a message to zei20t http://www.briskoda.net/forums/user/96695-zei20t/ as they are listed as being in Sydney with a hex-can :)

Thanks guys

I'm on the lookout in Sydney for a loaner VCDS cable. Might cough up the $250 eventually if I can't convince someone to lend me theirs. Just need to figure out how to justify it to the wife...