Mark 1 diesel intermitant loss of power - new to forum

Hello All - I'm new to the forum and looking for some guidance.

I have an 05 Skoda superb 1.9 diesel which I had for around 9 months.  It's just coming up to 240k miles and on the whole is a great car and mostly bomb proof.  However I get an intermittent power loss problem, maybe every 6-8 weeks. I don't get any error codes on the dash (maybe I need to plug in a OBD1 as these may not show on the dash?).

It feels as if the turbo is not spooling up or an intercooler pipe has popped off. However the problem can sometimes resole itself whilst I'm driving after a few miles or sometimes it last longer but normally when I go back to the car after it's been turned off and normally it's ok again.

I know the car has been serviced and looked after (I know the previous owner) I do know however that the past owner had issues with intercooler pipes popping off and he had modifications done to prevent this.  I have since seen a split in another charge air pipe which I've had replaced. I'm fairly confident that all the hoses are in place and secure and when I have a loss in power I can't hear any whoosh of air escaping anywhere (assuming the turbo is pooling up).

When I get the loss I notice this around 1900rpm upwards. It's sluggish after that. ie throttle input doesn't correspond to rpm rise. Could this be MAF sensors?  Is this a common issue? 

Window/Passenger door.  The window on my passenger door was becoming dodgy ie the glass was moving inappropriately as if it's coming out of the sliders  mechanism for the electric window. This was not corresponding with button input.  Then I find the central locking was becoming intermittent on this door leading game to think this may be electrical connections associated with this door. Now the door is stuck locked so I can't get the door card off to investigate. Any ideas how I can get the door open?

Many thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like your turbo is sticking and going into overboost and then limp home.

As for the window issue, more than likely a broken regulator but the other issues with CDL could be water ingress into the passenger footwell where the control unit is.

All pretty well covered so there should be some reading for you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI all - thanks for the replies. I can't get the codes but took it to the garage this morning.  They reckon it needs a new turbo solenoid but need to strip it down to get the part numbers.   I'm surprised that an 05 superb has variable vane turbo??? I also didn't think it would have an EGR valve.  Anyone know the part number for the solenoid

reg: P? 05 KNN

They also think that the passenger door needs a new latch which they have priced at £130.  It only cost me £700 so do you know of any aftermarket alternatives?

I assume there will be a thread on here about cleaning out an EGR myself. I'll look for that.

Cheers Rich