Park Assist or Rear Camera

Expatman

Just speccing up a new Yeti to replace my 2012 model. I have park assist on my current Yeti and although it is useful sometimes I am wondering if I would be better off going with front & rear parking sensors and a rear view camera rather than park assist. 

Anyone had experience of both? Which did you prefer and why?

I use my park assist very seldom...BUT when I need to get into (or out of) a very tight parking space,  it is absolutely FABULOUS,  and I'm so glad I specified it.  It gets the angles of attack spot on every time...its not a matter of being able to SEE so much as getting the angles, timing etc just right,  which the park assist does admirably.   In  normal situations I never feel the need of cameras to judge where the front and back of the car are... especially as the all-round sensors that come with the park assist tell me when there is an obstruction.  So I'd go for PA over cameras every time.

I've never used a rear camera. When we bought the first Yeti, for my wife, I specced Park Assist, as she works in an area where parking is a problem. When we got mine, I copied it. I find it invaluable a lot of the time when manoeuvring, as it tells me when I am close to things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never used the park assist on mine, apart from the demo at the dealers when I collected the car. I used to have a rear view camera on a previous car which I found more useful than parking sensors.

If the park assist hadn't been included as standard I never would have chosen it.

I've never used the park assist on mine, apart from the demo at the dealers when I collected the car. I used to have a rear view camera on a previous car which I found more useful than parking sensors.

If the park assist hadn't been included as standard I never would have chosen it.

Was it difficult placing the car using the rear view camera and also, did it give you much peripheral vision?

Was it difficult placing the car using the rear view camera and also, did it give you much peripheral vision?

These are VW but very similar.

photo4.jpg

Additional-VolkswagenRearViewCamera-1.jp

I had both camera and park assist on my Tiguan. I tried park assist to see how it worked, then never used it again. The camera was invaluable.

When I specced my Yeti I opted for front parking sensors (rear ones were standard) and the rear view camera.

I prefer the Yeti Camera on the Amunsen II as it has a wider field of view than my Tiguan... In fact I can even see a bit of the rean number plate! 

The picture above shows, in yellow, where the car should end up with the steering wheel at that angle. The Yeti one doesn't show the yellow box but I prefer it as it's brighter and a wider angle.

IMHO the Park Assist is a bit of a novelty but a camera is essential.

The park assist is a gimmick but it does work well, and I do use it quite a lot, just because it's there !

I would agree the rear cam is useful, but it's quite a basic one. For instance on my other car (a Ford) the rear cam display includes target lines that show where your car will go (similar to the yellow box in the pics above); these move when you turn the steering wheel and can be quite useful. The Skoda one doesn't have these. That said, it's perfectly serviceable but a shame you don't get more for what is quite a pricy option.

Edited by skodanick
  • Like 1

I am also going through this quandary, Park Assist or Camera ... by better half who should be obeyed wants park assist, but I would prefer the camera, but wont drive the Yeti often, to me it seems daft doubling up and specifying both.

However my youngest daughter will also drive the car, and she says camera, because that's what the car she learned in was fitted with, so the question .... Does anyone have both fitted to a Yeti and have any opinion, one, other or both?  :think:

I am also going through this quandary, Park Assist or Camera ... by better half who should be obeyed wants park assist, but I would prefer the camera, but wont drive the Yeti often, to me it seems daft doubling up and specifying both.

However my youngest daughter will also drive the car, and she says camera, because that's what the car she learned in was fitted with, so the question .... Does anyone have both fitted to a Yeti and have any opinion, one, other or both?  :think:

On my new spec'd Yeti I've opted for both on the basis that there are situations when one or the other would be usefull. I've had the Park Assist on my previous two Yeti's.

• Like 1

On my new spec'd Yeti I've opted for both on the basis that there are situations when one or the other would be usefull. I've had the Park Assist on my previous two YeT

Hello ernieb, so what are the pros and cons of the system, is it as good as the reviews claim it is or is it just a nice to have option?

I have both in my Yeti, but only ever use the camera and even then it's usually just a quick look once I've actually parked. Or when I'm getting out of a tough parking spot (as a third check after the two mirrors).

I've never used the park assist (came bundled as part of the tech pack I added to the Yeti).

Edited by willl
  • Like 1

Hello ernieb, so what are the pros and cons of the system, is it as good as the reviews claim it is or is it just a nice to have option?

The Park Assist is standard on the L&K the rear camera was an option. I tend to use the PA when manoeuvring rather than parking. As an example I was parked in the road this morning, clear front and back. We were out for a walk around the Cromfrod Mill area in Derbyshire, on our return we were blocked at the rear and very tight on the front. Using the PA I could get a good idea of the space I had in the front to pull out. Agreed I'd have got out without the assist but it was good to have at the push of a button.

As we often park off road I figured that having the rear camera, a relatively low cost option, might be a usefull option to eyeball any likely obstruction at low level, tree stump, broken fence post, etc. Looking at YouTube videos and stills, as posted above, seem to give a reasonable view of the space available. Im not sure how things are where you live but I find increasingly people have little idea on how to park a car, leaving it at an angle, across the bay lines so any potential aid is worth a punt in my book. It also seems that low level reversing cameras and PA systems are becoming more and more standard with options of a high level camera.

• Like 1

Im not sure how things are where you live but I find increasingly people have little idea on how to park a car, leaving it at an angle, across the bay lines so any potential aid is worth a punt in my book. It also seems that low level reversing cameras and PA systems are becoming more and more standard with options of a high level camera.

Thanks for that info its useful and makes sense.

Parking beside me seems to be  .... hit the car in front and behind as hard and as often as possible to create space, then leave the poor soul that actually lives there no chance of extracting their car without further damage :no: .... way of the world and I'd guess typical of the modern don't care disposable society, but I digress and rant. :blush:

Well I guess she whom must be obeyed will have access to my wallet and it looks like both options are now back on the cards. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Understand the 'rant' and I guess many on this forum will agree with the sentiments you've expressed above. I'm amazed at the people who don't seem to be able to park at a garage filling pump with the car being at an obtuse angle cutting off any likelihood of getting past them. That's life I guess.........

Just speccing up a new Yeti to replace my 2012 model. I have park assist on my current Yeti and although it is useful sometimes I am wondering if I would be better off going with front & rear parking sensors and a rear view camera rather than park assist. 

Anyone had experience of both? Which did you prefer and why?

Did you come to a conclusion Expatman ?

We've had the car over 2 years now and never use the park Asst (since trying it out for the novelty factor) but always use the camera and parking sencers,Asst came with the car but I would never consider paying for it as an extra

Did you come to a conclusion Expatman ?

To be honest I am more confused than ever. I tried a neighbours car with reversing camera and it had the 'lines' showing where the car would go on the existing steering lock, seemed to be useful in getting the trajectory of parking right; not sure if it would be so useful without the lines. On the other hand I rarely use Park Assist because I can generally park quickly and tidily without it, but when I do use it then it does park the car in seemingly too small spaces.

If pushed then I would say that I am tending towards the camera because I think that overall it would be more useful on a daily basis to be able to see what's behind me when reversing than using Park Assist once in a blue moon.

Still not made a final decision yet! 

• Like 1

If you can park in a spot which looks too small I'd be looking for marks, when I got back, left by the vehicles either end who 'feel' their way out.

To be honest I am more confused than ever. I tried a neighbours car with reversing camera and it had the 'lines' showing where the car would go on the existing steering lock, seemed to be useful in getting the trajectory of parking right; not sure if it would be so useful without the lines. On the other hand I rarely use Park Assist because I can generally park quickly and tidily without it, but when I do use it then it does park the car in seemingly too small spaces.

If pushed then I would say that I am tending towards the camera because I think that overall it would be more useful on a daily basis to be able to see what's behind me when reversing than using Park Assist once in a blue moon.

Still not made a final decision yet! 

Eventually decided to defer buying decision until late 206/early 2017. Having had a quick check of alternatives to the Yeti there seems to be a multitude of new models due over the next few months from Audi, Seat, Peugeot, Volvo etc. and I am wondering if it makes sense to buy a 9 year old design Yeti rather than wait and get a more modern alternative, new Yeti is not due until 2018 so too late for me. I think Skoda have left the launch of Yeti 2 18 months too long. Not saying I won't choose another Yeti but feel I must check out the opposition before deciding, I suppose it will come down to cost benefit analysis with personal preference thrown in.

Eventually decided to defer buying decision until late 206/early 2017. Having had a quick check of alternatives to the Yeti there seems to be a multitude of new models due over the next few months from Audi, Seat, Peugeot, Volvo etc. and I am wondering if it makes sense to buy a 9 year old design Yeti rather than wait and get a more modern alternative, new Yeti is not due until 2018 so too late for me. I think Skoda have left the launch of Yeti 2 18 months too long. Not saying I won't choose another Yeti but feel I must check out the opposition before deciding, I suppose it will come down to cost benefit analysis with personal preference thrown in.

Seat is interesting, but will arrive a bit late for me, I would never have another French car again, ever!, Audi I blow hot and cold on , and I've been dyed in the wool Volvo since birth, and I have one already so always like my "other" car to be another marque ..... the current Yeti fits the bill and the time/space required.

I would never have another French car again, ever!,

Was it the auto in a Peugeot?.

They seem to have given up on their version and now use the Aisin which is good news.

Edited by Ryeman

I would never have another French car again, ever!,

Was it the auto in a Peugeot?.

They seem to have given up on their version and now use the Aisin which is good news.

Nope, Renault Espace IV that was the nail in the coffin, 2 Clio's and 3 Espaces.  Espace IV a fantastic car when it worked, but only worked for about 3 weeks at a time without something breaking and visiting the dealer .... £18k of warranty claims in 30 months on the last Espace and they still would not accept vehicle rejection ....... I'm off to sulk at the memories :swear:

• Like 1