Towbar re-coding?

Llanigraham

the loom I  bought and had fitted was not by Westphalia, but by a company based in Telford, a Westphalia clone I suspect(can't find the info currently) but do remember it being substantially cheaper than the pukka job!

Coops  -  I presume the Westphalia box is a distribution job, the box I refer to had a series of led's on it , these cycled into action as the programming progressed.

It was however part of the fitters kit!

Edited by Frenchtone
  • Like 1

So far PF Jones have been excellent, and I suspect quite embarrassed about the whole thing.

I have no complaints about them at all. 

Apart from them using incompetent fitters!

Surprised you rang the fitter actually. I would have been straight onto PF Jones as it is ultimately their responsibility and I wouldn't have had that fitter anywhere near my car again!

Having mine fitted on Friday. Should have been done about a month ago but the company rang to say one of the fitters was off sick and I've been on holiday and busy since.

Fingers crossed I don't have any problems - not expecting to as they look very professional and do a lot of brand new Yetis for the local dealer.

Didn't want to use a mobile fitter (my dealer does) as I had visions of my bumper and trim etc. being put on the drive! And I prefer having it done in a proper workshop environment.

Edited by VAGCF

Coops  -  I presume the Westphalia box is a distribution job, the box I refer to had a series of led's on it , these cycled into action as the programming progressed.

It was however part of the fitters kit!

I suspect you are right, it's all in with the loom

One week later and still no response from the fitter!

Not really surprised.

You feeding this through PF Jones? That's who your contract was with.

^ as above, I suspect you had to pay PFJ for the fitters tel no so your contract is with PFJ and as such their responsibility to get it sorted!

Bon chance mon brave!!

• Like 1

Graham, what are you doing! Particularly after your response from the fitter.

As I and others have said this is for PF Jones to sort out and they need to know about this incompetent and customer unfriendly fitter.

I dropped my car off at Mota-Bars this morning and they are a delight to deal with, which is as it should be. And they said it will be about 3 - 4 hours, not the 6 hours that your "fitter" took. Of course they have fitted many tow-bars to Yetis (the local Skoda dealer using them) so have obviously got it off to a T.

Edited by VAGCF

In fact, just had the call to say it's all done now, so only two and a half hours!

Edited by VAGCF

I am being careful here, for obvious reasons, but PFJ have told the fitter to get in touch with me, and yes, my receipt from PFJ shows a £70 re-coding charge has been paid.

I think you're being very tolerant!

As I said I wouldn't have that guy back anywhere near my car. I would insist that they got someone else to rectify it. He doesn't know what he is doing and has a bad attitude problem.

I know they have probably paid the guy and want him to put it right but it's their mistake that they use him not yours.

I agree, I would be insisting on them sending a competent tech without the attitude this guy seems to have. Remind them that their otherwise apparently impeccable reputation is being tarnished by both this guy and their response to your situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I am being careful here, for obvious reasons, but PFJ have told the fitter to get in touch with me.

I would have no faith in that after he has already hung up on you once and he has probably already had a blast from PFJ.

If he came back I'd want to watch what he does, with a third party.

• Like 1

Personally I would be giving them 48hrs to code it correctly otherwise you want either the full £70 coding back (and get someone with VCDS to code it) or they pick up the dealers cost to code it (trouble is most dealers are just as useless at coding them) 

Edited by Gizmo68
spelling
  • Like 3

I probably wouldn't be tempted to get someone with VCDS to have a go in case there's something else wrong with the installation.

I would insist that PF Jones complete their contract, preferably using another fitter, but it's their responsibility to get it right.

If someone with VCDS has a go at it and it subsequently turns out that there's a missing connection or a chafed wire (even months later) PFJ could argue that a 3rd party had interfered with their work and they then might not cover it under their guarantee.

Exactly, if he cocked that up there's no telling what the rest of his work is like.

I'd like another fitter to sort it out or if the original fitter does it to watch what he does with a third party present.

The problem is that PFJ don't have another fitter anywhere near me.

One of the joys of living so far west!

I thought you said the original fitter was double booked which is why you ended up with that idiot?

Also it would be worth a drive to get another fitter to do it....and PFJ can pay for the fuel.

Don't they realise the damage this is doing their reputation? Are you a member of a caravaning forum and mentioned it on there?

Edited by VAGCF

I suspect the reason the first fitter didn't want to come is because he is based in Derby!

I do wonder how many sub-contractor fitters they have; obviously not enough!

yeah, probably, but he is apparently on several bar suppliers books, he told me he always tries to string together several to make an economical trip, ie picking 'em all up and keeping his travel time to a min!

I suspect the reason the first fitter didn't want to come is because he is based in Derby!

I do wonder how many sub-contractor fitters they have; obviously not enough!

That could well be the case - on both counts!

If they are going to sub-contract out, which is understandable to provide nationwide fitting, they should at least take control when things go wrong and make sure the customer is left satisfied and gets what he has paid for. Otherwise what's the point in going to them - you may as well go to any Tom, **** or Harry plucked out of the Yellow Pages! 

I wonder if they have had other complaints about this guy?

Edit: Censorship is a bit strong isn't it! 

Edited by VAGCF