Engine Oil Level

bakili

Hey guys

Had my 1.6 tdi serviced yesterday, engine code CLHA. Wasn't sure how much oil it will need refilling as nothing is stated in owners manual. So filled with 4.3 litres measured level and added about 0.4 ltrs, so total 4.7ltrs. After reading various forums, 4.6 ltrs is correct capacity.

Left car overnight and checked oil level first thing before starting engine. Level was above area A marked on picture (just on top groves).

Took in for run until engine got fully warmed, parked on level ground and waited 5 min before checking oil again. Had very unclear reading, half of oil was in area "A" on dip stick, half above area "A".

Is it over filled?

934597c3ea8629f1f64e7fbaa1efca97.jpg

I want to keep oil in area "A" as it says in owners manual if car used on long motorway journeys. I am going in few days for 5000 miles road trip.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The old flat dipstick was the best, always gave reliable results, now they have changed the design it can be hard to tell with clean oil as you seem to get oil all over the plastic part and then have to try and guess what the level is and usually results in about 2 or 3 dips to convince yourself that the level is ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone tell if dipstick on CLHA on Octavia will be identical to Mk7 Golf with same engine code? I am away from home and only nearest dealer to me is Skoda.

The correct time to check the oil is after use then leave for a few minutes then check the level.

That may be why it was over the top mark if you checked from cold. Mine also reads past the top mark if I check after it's been sat a while.

True, I have also noticed small crack on dipstick just above max level mark.

You might want to get that changed. Peugeot / Citroen have a nasty habit of snapping the ends off the plastic dipstick and leaving it in the sump! It was never a problem but as I have car OCD I never liked it when I had a customers car with the end missing in the sump! Why did they ever change from good old fashioned metal dipsticks? If it ain't broke don't try and fix it car designers! Oh and by the way I used to work for Peugeot / Citroen I've never been silly enough to own one!

I have car OCD as well, so got it changed ASAP. New stick is slightly different colour but looks identical.

Edited by bakili