Brake dust and ceramic pads.

One of my pet hates is brake dust and constantly cleaning wheels covered in it.

I notice ECP stock "ceramic" brake pads by ATE and Textar. Both claim substanially reduced dust and last longer than a standard pad. I note they are not recommended for performance applications. Used with standard discs but twice the price of standard pads.

Very few reviews around but one more comprehensive post I read reckoned he didnt notice any difference in dust quantity apart from the colour and that the braking performance was quite different to standard and cautioned their use.

Anyone got real world experience they can offer comment on?

Edited by xman

I've had textar e pads on the front for the last 7k miles, I have noticed less dust, much less than the oem pads that were on until 78k.

I have since had my wheels powder coated black. I have not noticed any change in performance, car still stops quickly when needed, but i'm not heavy on the brakes - hence still on original front discs at 85k, and first pad change at 78k.

The dust on the original pads drove me crazy, especially with the standard silver wheels, which was my main reason for changing

• 2 weeks later...

If it ain't dust and eat disc, it doesn't brake. Brake system converts kinetic energy to heat. How do you expect braking performance without dust? 

I had ATE Powerdisc with their so called ceramic pads...they dust as every pad but they brake very well but you need racing brake fluid because lots of heat goes to brake fluid.

I've white alloy rims and they are always gray or black due Ferodo DS2500 pads but they brake like hell ;-)