Fuel economy

Never really bothered really accurately checking before but just done 3,750 miles to and from as well as in Italy and averaged 62 mpg brim to brim on return. Never went over 130k speed limit which is about 80 mph and used cruise control whenever possible. Some slow speed hilly driving mixed in but bulk was on autostrada and French motorways. 2013 CR 140 with 63500 kilometres now. Car thinks it did 4.2 Litres per 100K which is the way it is measured here which works out at 67 which I think is averagely misleading for a VW based product.I was well pleased with the 62 though.

• Like 2

I do mainly about own driving and get 38 - 40 mpg 

Mines is a 140  DSG and 4X4 Combi though and I usually dont spare the horses...

Would like to take it on along run to see what it could get  :nerd:

Get Fuelly and start see what you are doing all the time 
http://www.fuelly.com/

Edited by DEL80Y

Achieved an indicated 67.4 on my 120 mile trip home from Wales yesterday - mixture of B roads, A roads, Dual Carriageways, Motorways, all driven at the allowed speed limit. Allowing for the usual 10% optimism of the trip computer I suppose that 62 ish mpg would be realistic.

Dave

Edited by drefaldwyn

I only got my 2.0 SE 140 last week and was happy enough with the 50+ mpg then I checked the tire pressures and all were  low (not great with 18 inch alloys).  Now I'm getting 60+ with mixed driving, although I spend a decent amount of time on motorways.

30.5 after my first fill up (that was measured by fuelly, not reading the display)

Display read 31 after that so its pretty close. Had 39 the day I bought it (drove it 475 miles home...)

• Like 1

37mpg average at last fill up. Display read 37.5 so not bad. (1.8TSi with ECU remap, cat-back 2.5" s/s exhaust, oil catch can & 'Africa' plate instead of PCV valve). Runs on LPG so effective fuel cost is 48% of petrol, so effectively a petrol car that does 77mpg on cost vs petrol!!! (Dispensing with the OEM exhaust/silencers gained 2-3mpg on it own).

I keep the details in a spreadsheet, I know #%^ etc, but I do like spreadsheets. Jan 2014 mainly using She'll Nitro, as of last fill up several weeks ago I am averaging 42 mpg. I am not convinced that the maxidot readout is accurate, often shows high 50's. This could of course be accurate and the true mileage is evened out with winter around town travel.

53 mpg over 6000 or so miles. My urban/extra urban mix varies wildly from month to month - but probably averages about 60/40 in favour of non city driving.

The onboard fuel consumption readout tends to show better than actual. This seems to be a VAG thing going back years. Based on two fillups since I bought my car, it's under-reading by 14 % i.e. the readout (for l/100 km) is 86 % of the actual consumption. This is a little shy of 1/6 so roughly speaking, 6.0 on the dash equates to ~7.0 actual (the correct value is 6.97).

The easiest way to calibrate it is reset the MFA2 memory when you fill the tank. Check the consumption average (CA) the next time you fill the tank. Then calculate the actual average (AA) for that tank in the usual way. The actual consumption is 100 %, so divide the difference between the two values by the actual to get the percentage discrepancy. In other words: Error=(AA-CA)*100/AA Rounding the error off to a convenient fraction helps with doing the mental arithmetic on the road if you're so inclined :)

If you're still working in mpg, then the actual mpg figure will be lower than the reported value. It's probably easiest to consider the computer value as 100 % here from the point of view of doing the mental arithmetic on the road. So the Error=(CA-AA)*100/CA

• Like 1

Woohoo just back from caravan so 2 trips on the Motorway over 100 miles there.

And got 513 miles for 56 litres of fuel.

Fuelly tells me my best yet at 41.7 MPg :nerd: 
They do Ok on the long runs then :D

Mine developed a bit of a drink habit in France - heavily laden with people and stuff - lowest was about 38mpg :sweat:  

Er I also developed a drink habit involving green 75cl bottles of delicious liquid :devil:  

We both seem to be recovering now back in blighty:-

Re the Superb - The very long run seems to have cleared it out somehow - Think this next tank full going to be about 48mpg

Edited by bigjohn

The onboard fuel consumption readout tends to show better than actual. 

The onboard fuel consumption readout on my old Superb I 1.9 pd was (er still is) somewhat on the pessimistic side  

The in-car trip 2 readout on mine is approx. 10% better than it really is when using my actual mpg on Spritmonitor.de

This is roughly the same as my previous Fabia vRS and the wife's current Fabia vRS both read so seems like the norm to be approx. 10% out?

The in-car trip 2 readout on mine is approx. 10% better than it really is when using my actual mpg on Spritmonitor.de

This is roughly the same as my previous Fabia vRS and the wife's current Fabia vRS both read so seems like the norm to be approx. 10% out?

Three different cars - three different on board computer discrepancies 

1) Superb I 1.9 pd - about 8% pessimistic

2) Superb II 1.4tsi - nearly accurate compared to Spritmonitor

3) Fiat Panda 1.2 - over reads by about 10%

Can't comment on my Octavia 1.4 16v is it doesn't have an on board computer (this even has keep fit window winders - remember those?)

Very noticeable difference in my fuel economy in recent weeks since the summer has arrived! Even with the aircon on more often. I reckon it's improved by over 5%. One of the factors presumably being less resistance on the engine with the higher temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very noticeable difference in my fuel economy in recent weeks since the summer has arrived! Even with the aircon on more often. I reckon it's improved by over 5%. One of the factors presumably being less resistance on the engine with the higher temperatures.

And also the use of a couple of tanks of summer diesel compared to the winter diesel you'll have been running for the last few months?

• Like 1

And also the use of a couple of tanks of summer diesel compared to the winter diesel you'll have been running for the last few months?

Yes, I agree, very much so.

• Like 1

Is petrol the same between winter and summer?  - obviously it won't suffer from diesel waxing

When in France I though that the petrol over there seemed to have a different smell? Not sure if they have other additives

Edited by bigjohn

Still averaging 66-67 mpg in my twin-door Greenline. I checked the calibration of the odometer again on the motorway the other week going all the way up the M1 and it is amazingly accurate compared to GPS. Last two weeks I got 810 miles out of tankful which although it isn't a record for me, its still pretty good.

• Like 1

With 12 days of mixed driving done with mostly A roads and Dual Cartridgeways the 140CR lump is averaging 42mpg...

By compassion partners 1.6tdi Ecoboost Focus averages 46mpg along the same route to work.

We have had 70+ out of the focus on a long run so I think the 42mpg is pretty reasonable and would expect to get high 50s on a good run when everythings properly warmed up

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have covered approx 26,000 miles in my 2013 Superb 140 Estate 4x4 L&K Auto

Computer says av 47.5mpg whereas brim to brim average is just over 40 mpg in general driving

Not unhappy with the 40 mpg for a big 4 x 4 Auto but goes to show how optimistic the computer is