Coil Overs

Sooo, as the title says really, talk to me about coil overs. My Mk 1 Octavia vRS is in need of new shocks, very floaty on the front, and I am pretty sure one of the rears has gone as well :(

Looking through everyone's favourite auction site, there is a bewildering array of choice......

Now, here comes the crunch - I don't really want anything too hard and crashy (roads round here are diabolical) and not really bothered about slamming it to the deck (potholes, drains, speed bumps etc).

So with this in mind, can you lovely people clarify a couple of points for me?

First, they state a lowering range of 20-60mm - is this compared to a standard Octavia? So in effect, on it's highest setting it would be the same height as a standard vRS?

Second, they state that the shocks are uprated 20% over standard? - as above really, is this compared to standard?

Finally, setting them up. Do just compare the length (ooer) with the original ones that are being removed, or do you have to measure from wheel centre to arch and adjust until they are level left to right?

Lot's of questions I know, but after coming from a Discovery where it was +2" shocks and springs, it's a whole different board game..........

TIA

• Sponsor

The lowering ranges will usually be quoted from standard factory height unless specifically listed for the VRS model which is what you'll need really to ensure they have the ARB attachments on the front shocks.

It's best to measure from the centre of the wheel to the arch and go off that or measure the threads on the actual coilover units.

If you're happy with a set height then a good quality springs and shocks kit may be a better option for you and also provide a better ride quality.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

What's you're budget? AP's give a nice ride

May have solved the problem now. Been doing some cross referencing and research at work and may have found a full set of gas shocks with all top mounts and new links for the front for £170 delivered.

I was looking at coil overs as they were a cheaper option initially than standard shocks