Dashboard mulfunction

Greetings.

I own a Skoda Octavia Mk2 1Z(BXE) 1.9 TDI 105hp.

So here's the deal.

My Dashboard has been malfunctioning for quite a while and was causing the car to start for a while ( when i turned the key) only to turn off after 2 seconds

And honestly i couldn't even imagine it was dashboard related until today where i tried to turn it on and almost all indications where on(and some where flickering) and also had the "beeping" noise.

Anyway long story short. I had it transferred to the mechanic which he unplugged and re plugged the dashboard and it was then working.(the vehicle was able to start up)

Nevertheless he diagnosed it was damaged and decided to take it apart to potentially "fix" it.

Turns out there was nothing that could be done by him. But here's the thing, after the dashboard was re-assembled and put back the fuel and engine temp gauges weren't working at all.

Obviously it's insanely stupid to drive your car without been able to see the engine temp and with a generally damaged dashboard that has an immobilizer malfunction so now i need a replacement.... and this is where the tough part comes...

I cannot find a spare dashboard with the same s/n as mine and neither i'm willing to buy it brand new since it costs 1200Euros(rather outrageous)

So my question is this.

What are the dangers if i get a dashboard with a different Serial(OEM?) than mine.

(assuming someone can re-program it)

Don't worry too much about the part numbers.

You just need a cluster from a PD diesel car pre facelift (prior to 2009).

And as above it may be a good opportunity to upgrade if your car doesn't have the maxidot display:

Maxidot.jpg

I bought mine for £50 off ebay then paid £60 to have them coded in and mileage corrected (as it was a used part with more miles on than my car).

Edited by Phil-E

Don't worry too much about the part numbers.

You just need a cluster from a PD diesel car pre facelift (prior to 2009).

And as above it may be a good opportunity to upgrade if your car doesn't have the maxidot display:

Maxidot.jpg

I bought mine for £50 off ebay then paid £60 to have them coded in and mileage corrected (as it was a used part with more miles on than my car).

Thanks for the input Phil.

My vehicle doesn't have a maxidot indeed.

Thanks for the input Phil.

My vehicle doesn't have a maxidot indeed.

Then use this as an opportunity to upgrade!

You can get them for about the same cost or slightly more than a standard dash and the coding costs the same for both. It's a much better looking dash and provides more options/info. For instance with maxidot if you have a bulb out instead of just telling you there is a bulb out it tells you exactly which one isn't working.

Phil

• Like 1

Then use this as an opportunity to upgrade!

You can get them for about the same cost or slightly more than a standard dash and the coding costs the same for both. It's a much better looking dash and provides more options/info. For instance with maxidot if you have a bulb out instead of just telling you there is a bulb out it tells you exactly which one isn't working.

Phil

+1.  If you need to remove and replace the dash, you'd be daft not to mate. It's a much newer looking and fancier option - I have mine here ready for installation, just got to make the trip down to see Ed!