Cars/MPV's big enough to sleep in?

Looking at the options as do a lot of away weekends and sleeping in a tent is no fun.

Considering:

Peugeot 5008 - 2015 onward- seems to have loads of space but depreciation is bad.

VW Golf SV - 2015 onward (folding flat front passenger seat - gives 2.4m load space)

VW Touran- 2015 onward- not looked at yet

Any recommendations must be sub £20k and prefer diesel

I while ago I tested my Forester and because the front seat back lays down flat, it's easy to get a long sleeping mat and bag in. You have to level it out a bit with your pack, but it's doable.

I would rather sleep in a tent though. My backpacking tent is a Vango Banshee 200.

Edited by Huskoda

Part of being out in the field is the social aspect sitting round a fire pit or watching a movie out the back of my mates T5, having a couple of beers. But getting into a tent at the end of the night is getting a little tiresome, never get a decent kip.

I'm looking at a multi purpose vehicle for 300 odd days of the year just about 15 nights a year or so are away with my hobby and planning to do a few more away weekends. Tends to be on a campsite with electric hookup etc so not full blown rugged camping.

Edited by Defenderben

I while ago I tested my Forester and because the front seat back lays down flat, it's easy to get a long sleeping mat and bag in. You have to level it out a bit with your pack, but it's doable.

I would rather sleep in a tent though. My backpacking tent is a Vango Banshee 200.

How have you found the reliability of the Subaru as I have considered the boxer diesel version?

I don't think there is such a thing as a car that is comfortable to sleep in! With the possible exception of the Austin Maxi as I'm sure the front seats recline totally flat (think BL used to advertise this feature...). Also, maybe a Renault 16, but that would be even harder to find than a Maxi...

I remember five of us trying to sleep in a VW Sharan in a lay-by in the Netherlands in 1997 - we tried to find a hotel but they were all fully booked as it was a national holiday - don't think I slept a wink! One of the guys tried to sleep outside (I remember it was May as we listened to UK General Election results coming in on the radio) but was spooked by the attention of some cows in the adjacent field :D .

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 2

Get a 9 seater Vivaro/Transit/Transporter, when you go away whip the back seats out and chuck a mattress in it. Spent a lot of time in my mates Vivaro, genuinely impressed at how nice it is to drive, economical and comfortable. He has a crew cab, the rear is racked out so no room for sleeping but he's kipped on the rear seats a few nights before and got a good nights sleep. 

• Like 1

I slept in my Favorit once. Wouldn't recommend it, but it's doable! :thumbup:

I was amply lubricated by alcohol, though, which definitely helped. :D

• Like 1

One of my colleaues told me when he was an on site newbie back in the day, they got paid an over nigjt allowance for getting a hotel. He and all the lads, had old astravans as company vehicles. Said a single matress fit perfectly in the back, so they slept in the vans and pocketed the allowance.. so.... a mk1 octy combi and rip the back seats out :D

Accord Tourer?

Rear seats fold flat and it's a big long car. I got a sofa in mine.

Some good only thing with the estates is a bit of headroom. Looked at a Civic tourer the weekend, was long enough but just a bit too low.

XC90's are a bit pricey and too juicy for my liking.

Citreon :) surprised it doesn't bend in half with that wheelbase.

Thinking taller.

Was also trying to find a Caddy Maxi Life but fairly scarce down this way.

Currently in negotiations with my local VW dealer looking at Golf SV and Touran: they are offering pretty good money for my current Golf ATM

Edited by Defenderben

Some good only thing with the estates is a bit of headroom. Looked at a Civic tourer the weekend, was long enough but just a bit too low.

XC90's are a bit pricey and too juicy for my liking.

Citreon :) surprised it doesn't bend in half with that wheelbase.

Thinking taller.

Was also trying to find a Caddy Maxi Life but fairly scarce down this way.

Currently in negotiations with my local VW dealer looking at Golf SV and Touran: they are offering pretty good money for my current Golf ATM

T5 crew cab?

Something along these lines?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272252299962

I dont get why you'd look at cars if you're buying it to sleep in tbh? Cars are okay for a one off, but theres not really enough room if its a common occurance?

Or you could do the whole hog? Something thats designed to be slept in?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162066348538

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

XC90 can fit a double mattress in the back!

Really, might just get a single flat on floor,

Better off with a V70 or XC70, rear seats fold flat and there massive inside

Have slept in back of an older one once at a car show as tent was fecking freezing

• Like 1

Standard double is 4 1/2 ft so 1350mm ish. According to tinternet xc90 is 1130mm between the inside of wheel arches.. would you get it in the arch to back front seats if folded flat? 1460 across back seats..

Standard double is 4 1/2 ft so 1350mm ish. According to tinternet xc90 is 1130mm between the inside of wheel arches.. would you get it in the arch to back front seats if folded flat? 1460 across back seats..

I think ive just forgot how big the boot on my XC90 actually is as its always full of crap,

Really should tidy it out, might find the top off my trolly jack then

The Touran might be big enough but wouldn't have a flat floor. The seats don't fold flat and if you remove the rear seats the floor isn't flat either so some modification would be required.