Yeti's Pug choice: the new Peugeot 3008

Peugeot have now updated the 3008 to be a Nissan QQ clone and thus can now finally also be considered if you were looking at a Yeti:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-peugeot-3008-reborn-suv

Pretty predictable generic SUV styling I'd say.

peugeot_3008_1605styp_001_0.jpg

peugeot_3008_1605styp_002.jpg

peugeot_3008_1605pc_012.jpg

Decent futuristic interior but I've never been able to see the dials properly in ANY Pug with the binnacle ABOVE the steering wheel like that. Utterly daft in my view.

peugeot_3008_2016_310_fr.jpg

peugeot_3008_2016_311_fr.jpg

The HUD is a must have for me now.......I couldn't go back to the old ways but for some body shapes I could see there could be problems.

Way back when I was in my late 20s I used to get a fibrositis like pain in the shoulder/neck area but strangely I haven't had any for decades which I put down to the modern and much more supportive seats, and a lower wheel suites me.

What I found in looking at Yeti alternatives was the inability to specify 4WD, and a DSG ( or similar automatic). Lots of 2WD in both petrol and diesel with an automotive but not 4WD. Where they were available the effiency was pretty poor even on the manufactures numbers and the CO2/VED were much higher.

• Like 2

This looks like yet another car "designed" to have an appalling rear quarter view from inside.

Which is why I love the Yeti. It's one of very few cars left with a decent glass area that allows great all-round vision and only a tiny blind-spot at the D pillar (and I tried out several of the competitors before buying my Yeti No 2).

• Like 2

This looks like yet another car "designed" to have an appalling rear quarter view from inside.

Which is why I love the Yeti. It's one of very few cars left with a decent glass area that allows great all-round vision and only a tiny blind-spot at the D pillar (and I tried out several of the competitors before buying my Yeti No 2).

What others did you try? I am in a quandary as to whether buy a new Yeti or go for a more modern alternative. I have deferred any decision until late 2016 because I am not sure if it makes sense to buy a 9 year old design while there are newer alternatives with more up-to-date technology coming on to the market this year. However, I do agree about design and I like the large rear window and good visibility of the Yeti.

• Like 1

Depends if you think the more up to-date technology is more important than the rest of the package?

For me, the practical shape, the layout and quality of the interior and the way it drives etc. are pretty much spot on for what I want. And until the next big tech. i.e. driverless (I don't like cruise-control much so I certainly won't like that!), I don't think there is much lacking that you can't spec?

• Like 2

I was parked up between a Freelander and a new Discovery Sport over the weekend (in Hafren) and the Yeti is surprisingly smaller and narrower than the both of them.

I was parked up between a Freelander and a new Discovery Sport over the weekend (in Hafren) and the Yeti is surprisingly smaller and narrower than the both of them.

And yet the internal dimensions are very similar as far as I can see.

Discovery Sport is a lot bigger!

I'd not looked at a new one only the older version and I've previously owned a Freelander which was relatively small in the back. (Nice enough car etc. but so unreliable breaking down repeatably when I critically needed a reliable car)

I'll have a look at the new Sport when I'm next passing a dealer.

Land Rover stand aloof on pricing out here and have no intention to lower themselves to competing on price.

The Sport is twice the price of the top spec Yeti and with a reputation for less than stellar reliability it just shows you how desirably trendy it must be regarded by the loaded.

SPEEDSPORT. Thanks for an interesting post it was good to read your reviews they appear very fair and unbiased which is all most people need,just wondered if you had considered or looked at the Hyundai/Kia options which are a similar option?

Anyone looked at the Suzuki Vitara S?

Honest John praises it and as it has a 1.4 turbo petrol engine and can be had with an auto box it could be appealing. Prices look good as well.

I think there's a thread about the Vitara in the general car chat section. It does look good.

Hmmm, looks good but no heated seats. For my wife that's a deal breaker!

Hmmm, looks good but no heated seats. For my wife that's a deal breaker!

Suzuki have a good record for reliability out here but I guess that's in part down to NOT having heated seats and they do try to keep thing as simple as they can get away with.

The majority want toys over simplicity and that impacts sales.

Anyone looked at the Suzuki Vitara S?

Honest John praises it and as it has a 1.4 turbo petrol engine and can be had with an auto box it could be appealing. Prices look good as well.

Checked this out 3 months ago. It's a pricey for what it is but if you are considering the Yeti 1.4 L&K it could be an option, I preferred the Vitara , more options and engine choices. I'll go back and look again when I'm closer to the end of the PCP.

Fred

Suzuki have a good record for reliability out here but I guess that's in part down to NOT having heated seats and they do try to keep thing as simple as they can get away with.

The majority want toys over simplicity and that impacts sales.

I agree about the toys but I remember the time when a car heater and windscreen washer were luxury extras! My wife has a back condition and finds heated seats a great help to ease any discomfort. 

Checked this out 3 months ago. It's a pricey for what it is but if you are considering the Yeti 1.4 L&K it could be an option, I preferred the Vitara , more options and engine choices. I'll go back and look again when I'm closer to the end of the PCP.

Fred

Looked at a Vitara today and while it was initially attractive it did seem to be much bigger than the Yeti outside but about the same size inside. I didn't think the interior was as nice as the Yeti either, at first look impressive but everything seemed a bit "hard" - particularly the dashboard, and dark with too much black plastic. Anyway the lack of heated seats rules it out (see above). 

SPEEDSPORT. Thanks for an interesting post it was good to read your reviews they appear very fair and unbiased which is all most people need,just wondered if you had considered or looked at the Hyundai/Kia options which are a similar option?

Back in late December when I was looking, dealers were telling me that the Kia (and the Hyundai whose underpinnings they share) were due to be replaced but couldn't tell me when. I stopped looking at them at that point. Having said that I thought both of the cars I looked at (sorry, I've not kept a note of the model designations) were rather "scratchy plasticy" inside and the fit and finish generally wasn't brilliant. I didn't test drive either manufacturers' vehicles. I know they get good press and can be very well equipped, but a bit like the Peugeot 3008, they didn't excite me.  Maybe I've never recovered from driving an early model Sportage, which I thought was absolutely dreadful, though you still see plenty on the roads, so someone must like 'em.

• Like 1

I see they've ruined the looks of the Dacia Duster now.

It used to look fairly plain and honest looking which was fine but have now tried to update the looks in line with other SUV's and have fitted the most hideous of grilles and headlights - like some sort of throw back to the 80's.

I've seen a couple recently and they look awful.