Prang :(

Hi,

The mrs got rear-ended this morning in her 2001 estate. Fairly low speed, but enough to bend the bonnet of the offending vehicle.

I've not seen it yet, so this is all second hand info, but she's reporting that there's a dent in the tailgate, and the bumper isn't sitting right at the sides. Also the boot isn't closing like it should and sometimes won't open.

Given the age and value of the car, insurance would write it off.

Does anyone have any experience of the kind of damage a collision like this would cause, and whether it's repairable? eg Is there a rear cross-member that bolts on (or similar)?

I'll have a look tonight, get it inspected properly, and have a chat with the yoot about how he wants to proceed. Might leave the lecture about stopping distances for another day. :(

Cheers,

Iain

The Rear bumper is an outer skin that bolts on under the rear lights and inside the rear arches, the impact will have pushed it forwards and prob damaged the crash bar that's underneath the bumper, main thing is if has kinked the rear 1/4 panels it's gonna be a swine to repair.

Accepted bodge method would be bumper off, crash bar off, hammer the back panel straight, second hand crash bar then maybe a second hand tailgate.

As to if the car is worth it, 100% wont be in the eyes of the insurer, just boils down to how much you want to keep it on the road?

I'm afraid until you start stripping the bumper off you wont see the true extent of the damage.

Not forgetting the boot not shutting/opening as it should. May be something as little as the lock mechanism being slightly out of line. May be much worse. I hope it is easily fixable for you regardless!

JRJG

Personally I would let the insurance company write it off, negotiate a settlement to keep the salvage then repair it using a big hammer and secondhand parts and pocket the change.

If that's not possible or you don't fancy it then let the insurance company do their thing and just go and buy another one with the cash.

Whatever happens you must notify the insurance company at the very least to cover your back, the 'yoot' is highly unlikely to have enough money lying around to pay for the car.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Will know more later, but I don't think the rear quarter panels are kinked. Happy to use the big hammer / second hand parts approach (have done so before). Is the crash bar common with the hatchback and/or any VW/Seat cars (for hunting scrapyard purposes)? Is it part number 6Q0813146 in the parts catalogue?

I've notified the insurance company. As it happens, the perp is also with them. They're saying this makes it a lot simpler, but I have a feeling it will make them disinclined to get us the best possible deal, particularly if it comes to injury claims (sore head and neck; probably not worth claiming for anyway).

Cheers,

Iain

If your wife hasn't attended hospital then you're batting on a sticky wicket regarding PI claims, the incessant horror of ambulance chasing firms calling you is a high price to pay, I didn't claim because the slight neck stiffness is frankly no worse than that experienced after sleeping in an awkward position and I would have had to grossly exaggerate the impact it had on my daily life to make a claim. No thanks, money isn't free when obtained dishonestly.

• Like 2

Thanks for the part number, and the offer of one :) I'll check it out and let you know. I need to take it for an estimate first anyway, for insurance purposes.

Re the injury - I've said to get it looked at just on the off-chance that it gets worse. If nothing else to put it on (medical) record that an ailment was registered today. Not expecting to claim for it, but if the worst happens there will be evidence that it started today. Totally agree with the dishonesty of false claims.

Had a look at the car last night. It's taken a fairly hard whack to the rear, but held up admirably. The rear slam panel had been pushed forwards a bit, as well as the wheel well floor, which was causing the tailgate to fail to latch. I managed to knock that back with special tool number 1.

Turns out boyo is a mechanic, so he's offered to look at the car, repair it (he's already ordered a crash bar for it), and put it into his body shop to get the dent sorted. So, if he's good to his word, that's a decent result for all I think.

Some pics below. Full size originals here

Cheers,

Iain

post-128351-0-28523700-1464335599_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-82050400-1464335599_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-28570300-1464335600_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-76839500-1464335600_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-31544200-1464335601_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-38366600-1464335602_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-75728300-1464335602_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-37368900-1464335603_thumb.jpg

post-128351-0-42207700-1464335639_thumb.jpg