Water light flashing red.

Hi folks, have a problem with my skoda. Its a 2003 skoda fabia 1.4 mpi, it needed a new thermostat as it had a leak from the housing, so i replaced it ( cheap ebay stuff), did that about 3 month ago, then last week the water light beeped 3 times at me about 10 to 15 seconds after starting the engine. Its like its telling me am low on coolant but iam not. What could be the problem?

Firstly, a disclaimer!! I'm no mechanic and don't know the petrol version of Fabia :p

That said, the expansion tank is known to fail, so could need replacing (cheap and easy)

Another thing to consider... Not sure if you have a vacume box above the drivers suspension strut in the engine bay, but my vRS does and some spanner monkey (sorry mechanics!) lent on mine, which severed some of the wires and caused the same warning light and sound.

null_zps7cf8098d.jpg

• Like 1

Probably needs the expansion bottle replacing as it will come with a level sensor in it and seems to be the way people approach this job.

• Like 1

You can test the wiring by simply pushing a bent paperclip into the sensor plug and shorting it out, if the light continues blinking then it's the wiring, if not then it's the sensor and you must replace the tank to replace it.

^ Agree, except you do need to cycle the ignition off and on again or the light will keep blinking even if the paperclip does successfully imitate a 'happy' level sensor.

Thanks for your help mate, changed the coolant tank and its all cleared. Do you know what EVAP emission control system incorrect flow code-P0441 means?

Could be a faulty purge solenoid. It's right next to the coolant header tank...

6677999.png

s_l225.jpg

Also the purge canister could be exhausted as they have a finite life. Canister is located above the driver's side rear wheel arch liner.

Edited by TMB

Ok i will replace that if the code comes up again. It went away once i changed the coolant tank

Could be the wires or bad connection at the plug. Check the pipes are not perished as well.

Edited by TMB