Multiple electrical problems - help!

Hi everyone,

Please allow me to present a puzzle and I hope someone has some advice as I imagine all of these issues are linked.

We have an Octavia 1.9tdi year 2000. We lent the car to a friend in need for over a year and has since returned the car with electrical goblins so we don't know how or when they started. 

- When driving at night with headlights, the lights very occasionally flicker off/on for half a second.

- Lights flicker off/on occasionally immediately after using the indicator

- Using headlights and switching to high beam and back to headlights after more than a few seconds leaves just sidelights on. The only way to get the headlights back on is by turning the car off and starting up again.

- The air con stopped working last week, nothing comes out of the vents.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! 

Light's problem may de down to the indicator switch as it also looks after the full beam for the headlights - may just need taken off and cleaned with electrical cleaner.

does the car have Xenon lights or just standard halogen lights - if Xenon it could be the ballast resistors.

Air-con - are fuses OK or does it need a re-gas?

Thanks, will have a look at that.

We've just got standard lights installed.

Air con - going to check the fuses, just wanted to mention it in case it made sense alongside the other issues. The gas was re-filled about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks again!

Light's problem may de down to the indicator switch as it also looks after the full beam for the headlights - may just need taken off and cleaned with electrical cleaner.

does the car have Xenon lights or just standard halogen lights - if Xenon it could be the ballast resistors.

Air-con - are fuses OK or does it need a re-gas?

Seconded in full.

I second the indicator stalk for the light fault too. When you say no air out of the vents do you mean no fan is running or it's not cold? If the fan isn't running I'd be checking the fuses or may even be the rheostat on the blower fan, but if not cold it could be the common fault of the clutch seizing on the AC compressor causing it to not pump the refrigerant around the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indicator stalk... had this on my cordoba - got the stalk replaced as electrical contact cleaner did bogall. 18quid plus labour. and very very occasionlly it occurs with my current octavia, not enough to annoy me just yet though...

Have you tried running the self diagnostic on the AC unit? I dunno how as i cant remember but i do recall it being discussed before...

Edit for typos... i cant spell tonight at all!!

Edited by mac11irl