DPFs and all that

Stubod

Hi,

As per previous post, thinking of changing from Octavia to Yeti, but undecided about engine options. Spoke to a chap today with a 2.ltr 120 hp diesel 4X4, but he advised he had already had to pay £1k, for a dpf replacement, (and had only =covered 30k miles!....)..so a bit worried. Are there any diesel engines that do no0t suffer this problem?...(I have the 1.4 TSi which I love, but thought it may be a bit small for a Yeti (caravan to tow). Really fancy a bigger petrol, but again put of by reliability issues of the 1.8.

I tow a 900kg van with my 2.0L 110bhp diesel. Next van will be 1200kg. I thought about the 1.2 petrol that would "cope" but wanted more. I do about 7/8,000 a year of which 1/4 of this is towing. 10 mile return trip to work, a few 500 mile round trips a year to see elderly mum, a 50 ish mile run every month or so. I have had no problems.

Colin

55k miles and no apparent issues with the DPF. Just the occasional regeneration every now and then.

Hi,

As per previous post, thinking of changing from Octavia to Yeti, but undecided about engine options. Spoke to a chap today with a 2.ltr 120 hp diesel 4X4, but he advised he had already had to pay £1k, for a dpf replacement, (and had only =covered 30k miles!....)..so a bit worried. Are there any diesel engines that do no0t suffer this problem?...(I have the 1.4 TSi which I love, but thought it may be a bit small for a Yeti (caravan to tow). Really fancy a bigger petrol, but again put of by reliability issues of the 1.8.

I tow with my Yeti but don't do too many solo miles nowadays

so I use premium diesel as I did with my previous Yeti.

I cannot give any guarantees but my first DPF took me

completely by surprise as the premium fuel seems to burn

more cleanly

Hi,

They don't do a 120 bhp, either a 110, 140 or 170, and now a 110 or 150.

However, the main thing to take into account with the DPF is the type of journeys you are doing. If you are doing lots of short journeys then potentially you are building up problems. They prefer long journeys where everything gets good and hot.

As long as it gets some regular longer runs the DPF seems to cope fine with shorter journeys. Most of my regular mileage is from a three mile commute, with just one or occasionally two long runs a month. So far no DPF light, though I interrupt regens quite frequently. The Yeti will be four years old in a fortnight, and will have done just shy of 50K by then. It's just had a service & second MOT and only 10K since last time - did nearly 14K the year before.

Mine does lots of short runs during its 10k miles per year (now 50k miles total) longish runs about twice a month and the very occasional very long run. Occasionally interrupt regens but no DPF light and no perceived problems. Always use premium diesel fuel such as BP Ultimate.

Aside from the cardiopulmonary and cardiovascular diseases, and lung cancer. :)

And the insurance implications, and possible MOT ones if done incorrectly.

Just offering a cost effective alternative, mine does have DPF and SCR with Adblue injected before the SCR, which is post DPF, unlike your old polluting, bunny rabbit killing diesels ;)

Just offering a cost effective alternative, mine does have DPF and SCR with Adblue injected before the SCR, which is post DPF, unlike your old polluting, bunny rabbit killing diesels ;)

Llanigraham,s Yeti is one of the latest model Yeti,s with the Euro6 engine. He part/ex the old one not long ago.

Tony

100,000 miles in the old 170 hp TDI yeti with nary a problem with the DPF. Mostly short trips into town with a weekly 20 mile on A-roads and a monthly 150 mile round trip on motorways to the city.

The new 150 TDI should handle short trips even better: The new cooling management system and closer connection to the catalyst and DPF means much faster heat-up of the engine. The SCR catalyst also allows higher combustion temperatures and more efficient fuel useage, as the SCR means that less EGR is used, so fewer unburnt HC.

All in all, the 150 TDI engine seems as capable as the old 170, except for the very top HP - but is much more complex.

• Like 1

It's all been said, the only thing to add is to be particularly wary of older low mileage used cars. You may wish to be wary of them unless you know that the low mileage has involved occasional long trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Err?

So does mine!!

I've now got a 150 Darrell.

Edited by Llanigraham

Sounds like I could do with one of those - save me sitting up all night shooting them!

• Like 1

I am of the understanding that the older PD/dpf combination wasnt the best, but there are less reported problems with the newer CR engine/dpf combination.

Me and the wife have VAG diesels (1.6/110bhp & 2.0/140bhp) and neither of us has had issues (both on 55k ish) - hers does around town work mine does 80 mile commutes each day.

Mine does lots of short runs during its 10k miles per year (now 50k miles total) longish runs about twice a month and the very occasional very long run. Occasionally interrupt regens but no DPF light and no perceived problems. Always use premium diesel fuel such as BP Ultimate.

Same experience here with my 2010 140, except I always use supermarket fuel except when filling up on motorways or in out-of-the-way locations.