Fabia I - Chain or Belt?

Hi all, 

I posted a while back about the Octavia, but in the end circumstances dictated something somewhat different. I ended up with a 163,000 mile old '52 plate Fabia Classic. It drives nicely, and has all stamps in the book up to 158k (I am planning to do a full service myself over summer including bushes, as it's eating tyres for fun and definitely needs a suspension refresh). However, in the book it makes mention of a cambelt change. I'm a bit confused, as reading online suggests that the 1.4 MPi 8V is a cam chain? I'm just wondering what the reality is, so I can factor this in for servicing. 

I'll post some pictures up soon - recent purchases always make me nervous!

Have a look under the bonnet, its fairly obvious when its a belt as its usually encased in plastic whereas a chain is encased as part of the engine as its lubricated by oil

1.4 MPI 8 valve is a timing chain. They are notorious for rattling as there is no tensioner. Never heard of one breaking though.

Edited by TMB

I'll have a look under there over the weekend. If it's a cam chain I'll be glad, as I can spend the belt-change money I'd budgeted on other stuff. Does anyone know of any real common weaknesses? As yet, I know there's an oil leak somewhere (I'm keeping it topped up) so I'm planning to do the head gasket and the sump gasket for peace of mind, and do a full service. With parts and bushes, is there anywhere specific that you would recommend? I do my own work, but I'm new to VAG ownership and I'd like to do this properly :) 

If it's a cam chain...

Unless it's the 1.4, 16 valve engine it's a chain like I already said.

Unless it's the 1.4, 16 valve engine it's a chain like I already said.

Nice one, I'll put the horrific thoughts of belts and related failures out of my head! 

Thanks for the info, it's a big help. 

Back to parts, are there any preferred sources around here?

Check that oil isn't leaking from the crank pulley oil seal (timing cover end) as it's quite common. Had to replace the seal on mine when I first got it.

Seal is part number 047103085

Check that oil isn't leaking from the crank pulley oil seal (timing cover end) as it's quite common. Had to replace the seal on mine when I first got it.

Seal is part number 047103085

I'll have a look into that. If anything it'll likely be that, the car is relatively high mileage so anything common will probably have gone. Thanks for the advice, you've probably saved me ages trying to pin it down!

Also, how big a job/what sort of price would I be looking at to get this done, if it's too complex to be done on the drive?

It's not a difficult job really. You remove the driver's side front wheel and plastic wheel arch liner. Remove alternator belt. Place some wood and a jack under the sump and support the engine. Remove the top engine mount and lower the engine enough to allow access to the crank pulley bolt under the wheel arch. Lock the flywheel and undo the crank pulley bolt and take the pulley off. Carefully prise out the old oil seal and drive the new one in level with the timing cover face. Put a smear of grease on the crank pulley oil seal surface and refit it. Put it all back together :p

As for prices in a garage, I have no idea as I do all my own car work (and I don't trust anyone else with my car).

Edited by TMB

What is the best method for locking the flywheel?

According to a service guide I've obtained, there's some kind of screw-based lock on the gearbox casing. I might be wrong, but hopefully someone can throw some light on it :) 

I locked my engine by putting it in fifth gear and putting a pipe wrench on the driveshaft. However, as you say, I think I once saw someone mention a bolt you can remove but I'm not sure. I think the member called Tech1e knows as he used to be a Skoda master technician.

That's the one! I'll see if I can source one, otherwise I think the pipe wrench might be the way to go. How long did the job take you when you last did it? I'm probably not going to get 5 minutes to myself for a while so I'll make sure I set some time aside. 

That's the one! I'll see if I can source one, otherwise I think the pipe wrench might be the way to go. How long did the job take you when you last did it? I'm probably not going to get 5 minutes to myself for a while so I'll make sure I set some time aside. 

Took me about an hour I think.

Took me about an hour I think.

Excellent! I'm on a long drive tomorrow, so I'll fill the oil up and pinpoint the leak - if it's this then I might even be able to do it on the weekend. Is there anything particular to watch out for when doing it? I remember having a real problem changing just the headlight bulbs on my old SportKa - although when I did them on the Fabia it was a 5 minute job. I'm just hoping the rest of the car is as easy to work on!

Is there anything particular to watch out for when doing it?

The crankshaft pulley bolt can be pretty tight (tightening torque 100Nm)

When extracting the old seal you need to be careful not to damage the timing cover. Some people drill a hole in the seal and screw a self-tapper in and pull on that. However, mine came out using a screwdriver. Getting the new seal started in the hole can be a bit awkward but just try and get it in nice and square. I used a bit of wood and a hammer.

You will need a T25 Torx bit to get the wheel arch liner screws out.

Edited by TMB

Thanks for the advice. I have an old torque wrench laying around in the garage, so I'll break that out. I'll see how tight the seal is and then do either, although I think I might go for sticking a screw in it. With regards to the new seal, I'm thinking a large socket and a rubber mallet, if that might work? 

I think I have some Torx bits so I'll see if I can dig them out and have a go at it.

I have to say, for such a small engine it's quite torque-y - it pulls a damn site better than the 100 brake 1.4 engine my girlfriend's 207 has, although that might be something to do with weight! 

Edited - at least I think it's supposed to be 100 brake, it moves slower than this and slower still than mum's Mii (60bhp).

Edited by JJBaxter

Yeah a socket will work I think but it will need to be pretty big.

They are quite torquey. Just need to plan overtakes a bit :D