Any ideas when the emission cheat refits might start?

Both our cars are 1.6 engines. I cant see how the fix will work without any effect. If they want to buy them both back off me they are more than welcome.

I would prefer swap for the latest fully loaded model ;)

Edited by jafo

My local French Skoda garage suggested not to have it done voluntarily. They did one they had for sale with the "approved at the time mods" and the results were terrible. He did say the approach has changed since but they are not going to voluntarily modify any more until VAG get their finger out. I said if it was compulsory I would have mine remapped after. Their response was good luck, the mods are so restrictive that remapping will be very difficult if actually possible. No idea whether that is correct or not but not a nice thought.

Edited by niveketak
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

US emissions regulations are much more stringent than EU ones and it's likely that a lot of the TDIs with the cheatmode there simply can't be brought into line in a cost effective manner without causing a loss of performance. Given the generally litigious nature of Americans, and the fact that these vehicles are now worth a lot less, VW have had to bring forward a cash settlement as well as allow customers to sell their car back. This is coupled with the fact that many states there won't allow the cars to be used without being emissions compliant.

Over here, the fix is feasible and is unlikely to have any meaningful impact on vehicle value.

We had a letter from Skoda this week saying the fix was ready.

It's going in on the 9th to have the fix installed. 30 minute job they said.

We had a letter from Skoda this week saying the fix was ready.

It's going in on the 9th to have the fix installed. 30 minute job they said.

Greetings,

Mine was booked in for this morning. At the time of booking they quoted 30 to 60 minutes, as per the letter, and agreed to wait for the deed to be done but when I got there they said 90 minutes. I actually got the keys to the car back after 130 minutes.

Ok they had washed and valeted the car (as per 's post here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403832-emissions-cheat-latest/) but as far as I know no health check was done (although to be fair I was so glad to get out of the place I forgot to ask - they didn't mention it ONLY the wash) and certainly there is no Skoda Goodie Bag. As for a courtesy car, as I didn't book one when I booked the car in, they hadn't got one for me.

So BEWARE of a garage saying 30 to 60 mins as it dould be easily double that. Maybe it's just me  and i was unlucky. Maybe James is wrong (although he obviously has inside knowledge).about the goodies. Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself growing old by 2 hours and doing nothing except watching daytime TV.

As for the car now after the refit/map/program, it seems at the moment to be no better or (more importantly) no worse. I've done my usual drive round of around 30 miles mixed travelling trying to emulate the usual driving style, and fuel consumption according to MFD is the same as usual. Now it could be psychological, or indeed there was a fuel problem before the software update, but when I used to accelerate form about 5mph with foot to floor in second gear there was a slight time lag before the engine picked up. That seems to have gone. Still, I'm away pulling a caravan next week so that will tell all.

AndyW

So BEWARE of a garage saying 30 to 60 mins as it dould be easily double that. 

AndyW

Thanks for the information.  

We too will be towing a caravan on the 16th so the outcome should be evident then.  

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

As stated a couple of posts above, I've been away and after 10 days towing the 'van, I can only say that (psychological or not) the towing felt the same as before both in general feel and acceleration times.

According to the MFD, driving with the 'van (around 1150kg) averaged 32 mpg and touring with just the wife (slightly less weight) averaged 61 mpg - total MFD average for the holiday 42 mpg and brim to brim (3 fill-ups) a fraction over 40 mpg. Based on previous similar journeys, the fuel consumption in not worse but better by just under 4 mpg on total trip.

One thing I did notice, and it could be me being lazy because the weather was quite warm to put it mildly and the aircon was working overtime, was that I stalled the car a couple of times in traffic WITHOUT the van on the back. I've not done that for a long time. The car seems to want a couple more revs to get going than it used to, but then don't we all?

I've read on other posts about the car being more noisy after the "fix". I hadn't noticed it but now I've read that it may be noisier I'm wondering whether it is. I think it does sound different but that is no doubt because I usually have the radio/CD/SDCard playing and, to test if it's more noisy I turned the media off. Sounds the same to me with my normal driving conditions i.e. the media on. So happy days.

To sum up, in my opinion, the fix hasn't done me any harm, the car I'm not certain about but it seems to have survived and maybe perked it up a bit. Time will tell.

AndyW

nb - hopefully not related, but the rear wiper (combo) seems to have developed a mind of it's own - wiping when the engine starts, but only after the lid has been opened then shut. It usually stops after a few wipes, but it's annoying on a dry and dusty window for obvious reasons. Also while this is happening the washers don't work but come back after a mile or so. I've quickly searched the forum and couldn't find anything related and still being in holiday mode unfortunately I can't be a***d. If it's there I apologise - If someone can direct me I'd be grateful.

Why did I have it done? Good question. I thought about this since the scandal broke. I read virtually everything on this board (I did eventually get bored), I read everything Google could find, I spoke to my old contacts in car manufacturing I know from my time supplying to car plants. All the info given was (and probably stiil is), in my opinion, at best speculation and at worst prevarication. There was little of substance. I decided to go for it.

It's certainly not a legal/mot requirement at the moment. The DoT certainly seem to be happy as far as I can tell, because VW et al are sorting out the problem,

As for Drive the and Vehicle Standards agency, they say they are "the government agency responsible for monitoring vehicle safety recalls and defects in Great Britain". We all know this is not a recall, safety or otherwise, and so is not a legal requirement BUT it could be classed as a defect, in which case could the DaVS make it a legal requirement at some stage? Although probably not an MOT requirement.

This is obviously pure speculation on my part, very much like a lot of the bumph that's been written - again in my opinion..

As I've said before, my car is going as well as it did before, other problems are nothing to do with the software issue.

AndyW