Water temp dropping to 75/80

Typical!

Left for half term hols today, 3.5 hour drive to Porthmadog, over the hills through Bala and I see the temp dropping from 90 to 75/80 on the long downhills. Got a bit worried.

Then it climbs up slowly again to 90 on the straights.

Never seen this behaviour before.

I guess I need to change the thermostat as it's not closing fast enough.

I'm out here for the next 7 days with a lot of driving plannned.

It should be ok for the moment shouldn't it?

I won't be able to change it for another week until we get back home.

Any recommendations to which one?

thanks

It is indeed a sticky thermostat mate tricking the ecu into over cooling when engine isn't under load to keep it warm (sounds like it anyway). I expect your mpg has increased as well?

Should be ok until then, always be a risk but if it's just a bit sticky you should get through it.

Edited by YellowCar

It could be a dying CTS too... mine only shows 90 when running mway speeds or stopped in traffic.. all other times - 75-80 at a push..

and thats after fitting a new genuine thermostat when it started doing it...

Edited by mac11irl

I'm going to provide zero assistance to this thread, but I read it last night, went to bed and then woke up at silly o'clock because I had a nightmare consisting of driving along in the Octavia and then watching the temperature needle drop to 75/80 degrees and then rocket to over 100 degrees! I best lay off the cheese and hope the car doesn't give me any grief now. :D

Hope you get the problem fixed.

• Like 2

Luckily the last 2 days of holiday driving around West Wales has been trouble free. Temp stuck at 90 through the Welsh roads and bank holiday traffic through Barmouth and Abersoch. A/C on full at times and a lot of stop start traffic and other times steep hill climbs.

But I will still change it once I get back as it's probably a sign it's on its last legs.

Back home now after 9 days of travelling. Skoda was great apart from this hickup. Did several hundred miles.

Temp stayed steady for the M54/M6 trip back home. It only dropped on those long down hills in Wales and also takes a bit to warm up

I will order a new thermostat this week and get it put in hopefully next weekend.

Leave you with a pic of my skoda on Black Rock Sands nr. Porthmadog.

post-118772-0-28958700-1465160331_thumb.jpg

Replaced today. All working as it should now. Went for the Gates.

OMG that bottom bolt holding the housing pipe on was almost impossible to reach. Took me forever to get that out. Alternator basically blocking the access. Would have been easier taking the alternator out first!

cheers guys.

while I was at it I removed the throttle body to clean out. Was a bit of gunge but not too bad.

Next job is to change the ATF.

Edited by Brit24