Yeti won't start

jekyll

Yeti, 2012, 2litre diesel 140' se spec... Shock, horror, the other day my loved yeti wouldn't start, got the rac out and he diagnosed an instrument cluster problem! Rac recovered yeti to my local dealers, two days later they diagnosed an instrument cluster fault. They say it needs replacing at just under £1000!

Has anybody else heard of this problem.. Ve had the yeti from new and always dealer serviced.

I would recommend calling Shark Performance. They deal with a lot of instrument cluster problems and it will hopefully save you some money.

Is there any noticeable to the instrument display? If that is the problem it seems strange, I'd have thought more of an ECU problem.

These will be MUCH cheaper, worth giving them a call to see if they are aware of that sort of problem and if they can fix it for their standard charge of £150.

http://www.cartronix.co.uk/manufacturers/product/173-skoda-yeti-speedometer-repair-dashboard-instrument-cluster-panel-failing

I would recommend calling Shark Performance. They deal with a lot of instrument cluster problems and it will hopefully save you some money.

+1 for that, they've developed solutions to most common faults at a fraction of what the dealership are quoting, give them a call.

Is there any noticeable to the instrument display? If that is the problem it seems strange, I'd have thought more of an ECU problem.

These will be MUCH cheaper, worth giving them a call to see if they are aware of that sort of problem and if they can fix it for their standard charge of £150.http://www.cartronix.co.uk/manufacturers/product/173-skoda-yeti-speedometer-repair-dashboard-instrument-cluster-panel-failing

The instrument display was dead, other electrics worked! Rac man told me that the immobiliser is part of the instrument cluster, I thought it was an excuse problem.

I'll give them a call. Cheers

As you have a full dealer service history have you asked the dealer if there is any 'good will' available from Skoda. Clearly this shouldn't fail so soon and is a known if not common issue. Failing that, a new display from a breaker? There is also a thread somewhere on someone who refurbishes displays, but of course you will need to get your car moved elsewhere for the work to be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you have a full dealer service history have you asked the dealer if there is any 'good will' available from Skoda. Clearly this shouldn't fail so soon and is a known if not common issue. Failing that, a new display from a breaker? There is also a thread somewhere on someone who refurbishes displays, but of course you will need to get your car moved elsewhere for the work to be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a good will offer from Skoda, still expensive though!

I have heard of a few instrument cluster failures. The way modern cars work is that the ECU, cluster and some other modules (not sure what Skoda use but typically Signal Acquisition Module (SAM), Body Control Module (BCM) or General Electric Module (GEM)) work together on a CANBUS and all need to respond appropriately in order for the immobiliser to deactivate and allow the car to start. It's an anti-theft system that means a thief can't just rock up with an ECU and a matched key and steal your car.

So sadly, yes, a failed cluster would stop the car from starting.

If you buy a 2nd hand cluster you will need to get it reprogrammed to work with your car. Which may not be as straightforward as you think as sometimes these units are hard coded to the originating vehicle and to allow it to work in another car often means swapping EPROMS which require very good soldering skills.

• Like 1