Problem with idle 1.8 tsi

Hi everybody. I have a problema regarding my idle RPM. I have just an error, p0507 idle higher than expectat. I changed everything except TB and the intake manifold. When the motor gets hotter my idle speed is just crazy. When the wheels are rolling, it reaches 1400RPM, but when i stop the card, it just stays at 950RPM. This is the only error that im having. I changed the PCV valve, and some sensor that control the small valves inside the intake manifold. My car is a SO2, 1.8 tsi, 2007, with 160hp. I read something about a idle control valve, but i dont know where is it. Can someone who had the same problem with mine, explain how can be fixed? i would really appreciate. 

LE1: it seems i also have another code error
LE2: i read everything on the forum, about this problem, but nothing could posibly fix the error.

2 Faults Found:

001287 - Idle Control System RPM 
P0507 - 000 - Higher than Expected.
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 17
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 125065 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 14:29:52

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 969 /min
Load: 12.5 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 99.0°C
Temperature: 33.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

004759 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!) 
P1297 - 000 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 4
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 125798 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 11:33:43

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1074 /min
Load: 18.8 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 33.0°C
Temperature: 19.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.351 V

I found this on the ROSS Tech wiki site.

Maybe you should try the diagnosis at the bottom to see if that causes a better idle?

------------------------------------

Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Power Loss
Possible Causes
  • Leaking Hoses and/or Pipes between Components
  • Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249) faulty
  • Diverter Valve faulty
  • Throttle Body dirty
  • Vacuum leak
Possible Solutions
  • Check Hoses and Pipes between Components
  • Check / Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
  • Check / Replace Diverter Valve
  • Check / Clean Throttle Body
  • Check for Vacuum leak(s) including PCV system
Special Notes
  • Did anyone install an extra (wrong) dump valve?
  • When found in the NAR 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve
    • If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.
  • When found in the 3B B5/B5.5 Passat 1.8T, check the PCV "bleeder valve" for example part number 06B-103-245
    • One way to troubleshoot the problem is to pinch closed the vent hose under the coolant bottle, that attaches to the bleeder valve and see if the idle smooths out.

It could be the hoses or the crankcase breather. Check or vacuum leaks.

i changed the pcv as i told you in the first post. i didnt found anyone in the whole bucharest to perform a smoke test. how else can i check for vacuum leaks?

You can spray some throttle body cleaner around the hoses. you have to be careful as it ignites and you only want to do a little at a time. You should obviously avoid the air intake at the front too.

Have you tried to clean the throttle body?

Yes. i cleaned the throttle body, not just one. It is cleaned and adapted. Moreover i did spray body cleaner around the hoses, but the engine didnt respond by shaking or whatsoever. Any other advices? Thanks for replying UdayP.

Have you also changed the diverter valve?

Cleaned the EGR valve?

I think you might need a new throttle body. Do you have a friend or someone you can swap throttle body's with?

I tried with 2 TB from dismemberment park. Nothing has changed so i might think that the TB is doing just fine. As far as i understood, the problem is before the intake manifold, not on the turbine so i dont know what to say about diverter valve. EGR valve? should i clean it? The car is on petrol, its not diesel.

Edited by AlexRadu22

My Mistake, no EGR clean in that case.

Try changing the diverter valve for a while and see if that helps.

Other than the vacuum hoses, TB, PCV, DV im not sure what else. Are you able to remove and clean the intake manifold?

Other than all of the above, I am really not sure.

I didnt clean the intake manifold, but i changed the intake gasket, the orange sponge, that comes around the intake manifold. It was a little dirty but not so much. Thank you very much for you advises. Can it be from the computer bord?

The last step would be to replace the ECU. I remember I had a similar problem on my old mk4 1.4 golf. It gave me tons of trouble. I couldnt root cause it, it would have low idles and sometimes cut out. I changed almost every sensor, cleaned everything up to the fuel injectors, replaced the TB and PCV. One issue it had was oil used to leak past the piston rings and it would go through a lot of oil in that case. I was cleaning the PCV and TB every 6 months.

In the end nothing would cure it, sometimes a long drive on the motorway would help its idling. This led me to believe that there was either blockage somewhere in the system that was cleared on long drives. It also had no air mass sensor.

The ECU was fine since it never had any other issues.

Maybe you could replace your Air Mass Sensor too?

Maf sensor seems to be good. It indicates 4'mg/s as i recall. I changed the sensor that control the little throttles inside the intake manifold. I changed the valve but i didnt put the same code vale as the original one. Could that be a lroblem ?

How clean were the flaps when you opened the intake manifold? I believe there have been issues reported about the condition and function of these flaps.

Maf sensor seems to be good. It indicates 4'mg/s as i recall. I changed the sensor that control the little throttles inside the intake manifold. I changed the valve but i didnt put the same code vale as the original one. Could that be a lroblem ?

Which valves are you referring to? the flaps inside the intake manifold? or the Diverter Valve (Dump Valve)?

• 2 weeks later...