Anyone help? Fabia mk1 central locking problem

I've looked through all the forums and cant really see anything to help - I replaced my fabia drivers door central locking mechanism with a genuine unit as the microswitch had failed. All seemed ok but now it will lock the doors from the drivers side but not unlock them except the drivers. The door lock switch on the armrest on the drivers side wont work either. 

I have had the lock out and tried turning the motor manually, it will lock all doors but not unlock.

All doors unlock with central locking when the key is used on the passenger side.

Could I have disturbed a wire? Or fuse?

I've had the rubber door wire protector out and all the connectors are in correctly. 

It's driving me nutty!

I tried a new part, which didnt solve the problem, so went to a vw beakers and bought a good second hand part, fitted it, it still won't unlock but will lock. And to make matters worse when I reconnected the battery the dash warning lights arent working with the ignition on, and now it will start then cut out within a few seconds ! Help!