100k fabia vrs hybrid fitting advice

Hi I've currently got a 100k silver furby vrs that has oil and filter change every 6 months and full service every 12.

I'm planning on fitting a gt1752 turbo as everything on car has already been done ready for it. EGR delete, uprated seat sport fmic and hard pipe kit, 4 bar map sensor fitted etc.

My actual question is with the miles of the car, is there any crucial things to check when fitting new turbo that should be done service wise.

I plan on changing the oil feed pipe as a given but should I remove sump and thoroughly clean it and oil pick up etc or not needed?

Cheers

If you have changing the oil and filter every 6 months I shouldn't think you should need to clean the sump out. New oil lines as you said would be a good move though. Don't forget that an oil change after changing the turbo is never a bad idea either.

JRJG

Thanks for replies. I'll be doing a full service before I get to fit the new turbo anyway then I'll drain and change again at the same time.

Does anybody know what checks are completed by main dealer on high mileage servicing. As I have owned petrol turbos in the past they check valve clearances etc, what sorts of things do they check on diesels?

Lol at thinking 100k is high mileage :)

Cambelt should have been done by now but otherwise nothing at all to worry about.

Possibly the clutch may need upgrading but it shouldn't be worn out yet

Will be fine, a few things i'd change at the same time are oil feed pipe and oil return pipe, Darkside sell braided pipes for both of these and they are bang on

Will you be changing anything with the exhaust, 2.5" downpipe and a new gasket would be ideal

Hi guys, this will unfortunately be on hold now, and I'll explain:

Car is remapped already however tonight, when WOT it cut out like it went into limp with a little jerk but no lights came up. Pulled over and tried to start it but it just kept turning.

Pulled bonnet catch, lifted it up and the heat was immense. Looked at coolant, no loss there, pulled dip stick and there was some oil vapour as can be expected, oil level was ok. Next I plugged vcds in and no codes stored at all. Went back to engine, pulled oil filler cap more vapour came out more like steam from a kettle. Tried turning it over and it struggled for a while then started but then cut out. Curiosity got the better of me by this point so I pulled off the oil filler cap again and started it and it ran without cutting out except it was like a train, smoking like hell from the filler. So at this point I tried fitting the cap again and when I did it cut out a few seconds later.

My conclusion is I've knackered the headgasket and exhaust is getting into the crankcase and or the turbo is seized not causing a vacuum to such the oil vapour reducing the pressure and or I've blew the piston rings.

What are yours thoughts, really need help with it.

Sucked something up the air intake and blocked it ? It would then be drawing air thru the breather pipe instead maybe.. worth removing the airbox and trying it again

I've just gone to check the car with vcds since towed it home and I've got maf signal implausible fault code. So I think I'm gunna rip all intake pipes and inlet manifold off to see is one it's blocked somehow and or if turbine is seized

Turbo has disintergrated I've just whipped off air box and on the inlet side to turbo above the air filter there are shards of turbine! I will get a picture put up soon

Edited by Rowlyvrs

Will I still need to get head off to make sure no shards got in there or will checking the inlet manifold be enough to check? Also is it worth ripping off the sump to make sure no particles got into the oil through the oil return pipe?

No, the intercooler will have trapped everything, you may need a new one if you can't get it all out. Clean everything inside and out, it'll be in the pipework as well.

Edit: The oil pipes will be fine, the impeller is on the end of a shaft that runs through the oil bushes, the shaft will still be in there so fragments can't get into the oil or the engine.

Edited by sepulchrave

Few photos of damage to turbo turbine. No fragments found in inlet so it'll mostly be in the intercooler hopefully. There was a couple hundred ml of oil in lower boost pipe when removed and exhaust side turbine seized. I suspect shaft has snapped due to too higher egt's causing oil to cook and loose it's lubrication. Hope rest of engine still ok at this point.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Will be fine, a few things i'd change at the same time are oil feed pipe and oil return pipe, Darkside sell braided pipes for both of these and they are bang on

Will you be changing anything with the exhaust, 2.5" downpipe and a new gasket would be ideal

To answer your question on exhaust it's already got 2.5" decat and straight through exhaust no mufflers to a tip on the end

Can I just ask what your opinions are on the engine as I said before it was bellowing out of the oil filer cap when I managed to get it to run, but the exhaust side of turbo was seized so I'm guessing it was exhaust gasses coming out of there what damage could this of done and how has the exhaust gasses even managed to get in there, blowing past piston rings? Is it worth taking valve cover off and whipping injectors out and examining the pistons with my boroscope?

Dude, stop guessing, replace the turbo, clean everything out properly and all will be well. There is no way for shrapnel to enter the engine unless it got through the intercooler by magic.

Sorry I know but at the end of the day I don't want to get my new hybrid and then find out something else is wrong/broken :-S.

Still dunno why how the oil filler cap was releasing all that smoke just seems wrong to me is all.

On another note would it be worth while doing the elephant mod or get a catch can to avoid clogging my newly cleaned inlet and should the original oil cooler be sufficient to keep oil cool when I'll be running 200hp?

So guys I'm ready to turn the car over finally after refitting everything however I've been told I need to prime the new oil lines I've fitted. How do you do this? Can I just unplug the injection wiring loom then crank 3 or 4 times for 15 seconds with a good break In-between so starter can cool down?

So guys I'm ready to turn the car over finally after refitting everything however I've been told I need to prime the new oil lines I've fitted. How do you do this? Can I just unplug the injection wiring loom then crank 3 or 4 times for 15 seconds with a good break In-between so starter can cool down?

Yes.