Up GTI .... will there be a Citigo version ever?

vrskeith

^^^

I still miss mine - sort of regret selling it (it was mint and much more fun than the MKI Fabia vRS I bought as a replacement ). Only 123bhp but then it only weighed 995kg - 0-62mph was 8.2s - it was like a mosquito about town.

Edited by Brian69

there are some nice new paint colours available.

I agree.

Personally like the Honey Yellow Metallic with Black roof and mirrors, 17" Polygon alloys and all the extras apart from sunroof.

Circa 15K before discount though!

Not that I've been looking (in case the wife reads this :D)

Not be long before the tuning companies get their hands on the new up! To give it the power it deserves

Marketing and you want people to pay more for something that plebs are not able to buy cheaper.

Worth starting a Face Lift Citigo thread as there is no Citigo vRS on the cards.

Just some facelift stuff without facelifting.

You can only order the 1.0 TSI engine on the High Up! model though which is a bit mean by VW.

I think this was expected and if Skoda do the same will only be in the SE-L model with the turbo engine.

worth a read http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/up/17405/turbocharged-volkswagen-up-goes-on-sale-from-12055 

It's all wishful thinking as yet with regards to the new Tsi unit appearing in the Citigo. As of yet I've not found even the tiniest hint that it will find it's way into the CitiGo anytime soon. We all hope it will, but it might be a year of more before facelifted Skoda's begin to filter through. I doubt Vdub will want the improved CitiGo to pop up and steal it's thunder.

Popped into the local VW dealership and they don't have any facelifted vehicles due for a few more weeks yet. Some reasonable deals on outgoing model though. 

• Like 1

It's all wishful thinking as yet with regards to the new Tsi unit appearing in the Citigo. As of yet I've not found even the tiniest hint that it will find it's way into the CitiGo anytime soon. We all hope it will, but it might be a year of more before facelifted Skoda's begin to filter through. I doubt Vdub will want the improved CitiGo to pop up and steal it's thunder.

Popped into the local VW dealership and they don't have any facelifted vehicles due for a few more weeks yet. Some reasonable deals on outgoing model though. 

With the recent negative VAG press i think you are right, VW are surely looking to make higher profit margins from its VW brand and by offering specific engine only to certain models it breaks up the choice and thus locks in profit per sale which is higher.

I still think Skoda have the option of the turbo engine, but does it fit in with their brand values and image?!

With the recent negative VAG press i think you are right, VW are surely looking to make higher profit margins from its VW brand and by offering specific engine only to certain models it breaks up the choice and thus locks in profit per sale which is higher.

I still think Skoda have the option of the turbo engine, but does it fit in with their brand values and image?!

I have no doubts that the Tsi unit will appear in the Skoda line-up at some point. I suspect that we will see a 105ps variant appear in an UP GTi, about the same time as the 90ps version gets passed on to Skoda, that way Vdub will still maintain their "bragging rights" and be able to justify the price premium for the badge.

Skoda are not the cheap 'n' cheerful brand they once were, up to yet their dealerships have not garnered the contempt for their own customers as VW have. IMO the CitiGo is a better looking car than the Up, but we will see what the facelift brings.

I have no doubts that the Tsi unit will appear in the Skoda line-up at some point. I suspect that we will see a 105ps variant appear in an UP GTi, about the same time as the 90ps version gets passed on to Skoda, that way Vdub will still maintain their "bragging rights" and be able to justify the price premium for the badge.

Skoda are not the cheap 'n' cheerful brand they once were, up to yet their dealerships have not garnered the contempt for their own customers as VW have. IMO the CitiGo is a better looking car than the Up, but we will see what the facelift brings.

I did some research, and at the time I decided to go for the Citigo, it was the most expensive option as Seat had a £2750 dealer deposit-contribution on the Mii, and VW were offering about £2k off the list price of some Up! models, while I was paying the list price for my Citigo (with a £500 dealer deposit contribution). However, I was perfectly happy to pay more for my Citigo than the equivalent models from VW/Seat for two reasons.

Reason 1: The Citigo looks nicer than the other two. I dislike the massive slab with thin lips on the bumper of the Up!, and the styling of the front of the Mii looks wonky to me.

Reason 2: The Citigo has the DRLs on the inside, and indicators on the outside of the front lights. The other two have indicators on the inside, which I hate as I'm certain it reduces their visibility, especially when they're immediately below the very bright DRLs!

Also, the chaps at Skoda were very friendly (the other dealers didn't seem so friendly) so I was immediately persuaded to buy a car, then they bent over backwards to get the car to me a day early as I'd accidentally booked myself up for a week after the Wednesday I was planning on picking up the car, so it was a case of either rushing my car through the PDI, or keeping it at the dealer for a week or so, they quite happily obliged and had the car ready for me ASAP!

• Like 2

Reason 2: The Citigo has the DRLs on the inside, and indicators on the outside of the front lights. The other two have indicators on the inside, which I hate as I'm certain it reduces their visibility, especially when they're immediately below the very bright DRLs!

Also, the chaps at Skoda were very friendly (the other dealers didn't seem so friendly) so I was immediately persuaded to buy a car, then they bent over backwards to get the car to me a day early as I'd accidentally booked myself up for a week after the Wednesday I was planning on picking up the car, so it was a case of either rushing my car through the PDI, or keeping it at the dealer for a week or so, they quite happily obliged and had the car ready for me ASAP!

I thought it was only me who thought burying the indicators on the inside adjacent to the headlamps was a bad idea. The amount of vehicles that have super bright DRL's and headlamps with mediocre indicators buried deep within the headlamp assembly is growing by the day. In bright conditions some are almost impossible to see. You have more chance of seeing the side repeaters than those at the front. The same can be said for brake lights, some are little more than a token gesture to designer aesthetics of the car.

Good to hear some dealers actually putting in some effort.

I've been looking to swap so touring the dealerships a little. I came close to choosing a Seat Mii Mango with the £2750 discount but just missed the car with the spec I would have wanted. Likewise a few Vdub dealers are offering good discounts on the remaining pre-facelift stock. A Vdub salesman spent 40 mins with me just this Sunday morning, quoting doing me the numbers on a High-up to then come back to me and say it was sold Saturday!! As you say discounts on the CitiGo have been more difficult to find even on pre-reg and ex demonstrators. 

• Like 1

".....popped into the local VW dealer.....". Made me laugh. Pop into our local VW dealer and youncould be forgiven for thinking that sentient life had departed the planet. I guess younhave to plead with them to buy a car. SWMBO has removed the Up! From hrt list of potentials. Local Skoda, on the other hand,..you get a genuine greeting and some proper craic. Sorry, I digress.

".....popped into the local VW dealer.....". Made me laugh. Pop into our local VW dealer and youncould be forgiven for thinking that sentient life had departed the planet. I guess younhave to plead with them to buy a car. SWMBO has removed the Up! From hrt list of potentials. Local Skoda, on the other hand,..you get a genuine greeting and some proper craic. Sorry, I digress.

I've run Vdubs for over 20 years, I'm not a die-hard fan-boy in any way. Generally I've stuck with them because when it came time to change their deals have always been good for whatever reason and the cars have been trouble free.  But the whole VW "showroom" image makes me cringe, the sale men are like automaton clones, they do 75% of the job then run off to the account manager or whatever they call themselves to get the deal OK'd and bull**** you into thinking they've gone the extra mile 'just for you!' It's more to do with spending 40mins trying to convince you GAP insurance, paint protection, and charging you £100's for the privilege will some how magically add value to the deal and make your life complete....

I know they all have a job to do, but I get the impression 90% of em don't give a stuff. 10-15 years ago I'd have said my local dealer was pretty good, now they are just irritating as though everything they do is just extra effort. Also the turnover of sales guys is shocking, every 3-4 months all the faces are new.

Edited by DampDog
  • Like 1

I thought it was only me who thought burying the indicators on the inside adjacent to the headlamps was a bad idea. The amount of vehicles that have super bright DRL's and headlamps with mediocre indicators buried deep within the headlamp assembly is growing by the day. In bright conditions some are almost impossible to see. You have more chance of seeing the side repeaters than those at the front. The same can be said for brake lights, some are little more than a token gesture to designer aesthetics of the car.

It's not the worst of them all though, there was a Honda CRV coming the other way with ultra bright DRLs and a very very tiny indicator nestling right inside the light cluster. One required very careful observing to notice any sign of the indicator. And even then the wing mirror repeater was much clearer than the front indicator.

Makes me wonder - why bother with front indicators when the wing mirror indicators are usually much more noticeable, and thus probably would benefit from being made bigger.

In fact, they'd be better too as in the dark, the wing mirror indicators would be vastly more obvious than the small indicators right next to the very bright lights of the dipped beam.

• 2 weeks later...

Autotrader has just so many Pre-Registered Delivery Mile 16 Plate VW UP!

VW UK and Dealerships really are in trouble shifting cars.

Real bargains should be had in another month or 2 as they are desperate to shift these.

Couple here, not sure I'm a fan of the new look at all. Current Citigo has it beat. Fingers crossed it won't be too long before we see the Skoda facelift, though I suspect it will be the end of this year, maybe next. Think I read somewhere it should be ready for a show in October, but can't remember where I read it.

My mother ordered a new Citigo when the fuel card promotion was on and she's since been told that it's due to be built in October and will be a facelift model.

• Like 1

My mother ordered a new Citigo when the fuel card promotion was on and she's since been told that it's due to be built in October and will be a facelift model.

Not sure if that's good news of bad news??

It's good in that the Skoda facelifted version is not too far behind the Up. But not so much as a sniff on news regarding whether the 1.0 Tsi will find it's way into the model. I wonder if Skoda may be content with simply upping the 60ps to 75ps across the range?