My Felicia 1.6 engine turns off while A/C is on

Hello everyone,

kindly please i need help with my felicia 2001 GLX 1.6 it was 1.3 & just finished replacing it with the 1.6 AEE.

i was facing that when A/C is turned on while normal driving as i use the clutch to go from a gear to another the engine turned off.

the RPM becoming lower than 10 and that turn the engine off. &  i got 3 things i'm not sure which one of them causing that problem 

1. I didn't change the fuel pump it belongs to 1.3 !! i don't know if that is necessary  !

2. Is it the distributor!!

3. and what makes me crazy.. those wires in the attached pic is what for ???

cuz the technician ruined 'em that way, he told me cuz my A/C button is jammed

even after this the car Temp goes to 110c while the A/C is on, but after switch it off goes back to normal 90c!!!

so please Help...

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/Criminal_Marcos/IMG_2788_zpsuwoctrl9.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/Criminal_Marcos/IMG_2791_zpsahqhbl3g.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/Criminal_Marcos/IMG_2790_zpslkn0uka7.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/Criminal_Marcos/IMG_2789_zpsm9fv5qs1.jpg

It is not clear why the A/C was butchered and has missing parts.

The engine stalls because of dirty / faulty MAP. Skoda had to issue a service bulletin for that.

• Like 1

I've changed the Radiator from 1.3 to 1.6.

okay i;ll try to adjust the distributor, clean the condenser then change the radiator coolant.

and i'll check the results.

P.S: the temperature in here is unbelievable today is the better day in this week it's  37c.

i'll let you know the updates.

Thanks. 

You have to understand that diagnosis is more difficult on a car with 1.3 - 1.6 mixed parts.

In such hot climate you should think using a tropical thermostat. The cooling system has to be in top shape. Cleaning it thoroughly is a good start. I would also make sure the head gasket is still holding 100%. Do you know anything about the history of donor engine?

How do you plan to adjust ignition timing?

What makes you think that is related to your car's problems?

You have to understand that diagnosis is more difficult on a car with 1.3 - 1.6 mixed parts.

In such hot climate you should think using a tropical thermostat. The cooling system has to be in top shape. Cleaning it thoroughly is a good start. I would also make sure the head gasket is still holding 100%. Do you know anything about the history of donor engine?

Okay i'll try the tropical thermo. Is it fit !! I don't know.

And about the head gasket is perfect.

But unfortunately here in Egypt we buy it from an importer the only info or history that we know is how many Km that the engine did.

Any update?

Did you solve the overheat issue by flushing the cooling circuit and using a tropical thermostat?

Did you solve the engine stall issue by cleaning/replacing the MAP sensor?

Did you use an OBD scanner to adjust the ignition timing? If so, did that make any difference?

About your initial question: how could you have the A/C running when the photos show parts missing and broken wiring?

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks a lot for following up.

I went to another workshop they told me it's because of the donor engine is not prepared with A.C even the controller and the (TPS).

​i don't know if that is right or not !!!

they told me the only solution for low idle is something i don't know it's name but it' job to increase the idle automatically once the compressor is on 

I flushed the cooling circuit but i figured the problem was the cooling fan it's working on one speed only.

and about the tropical thermostat do you have a pic of it !!! 

About the map sensor i couldn't find it but i order it from an importer and waiting for it, but i cleaned the throttle body with spray and cloth.

and i changed the spark plugs from normal to 3 ground electrodes.

and about the A.C it's working but the those three yellow wires i was wondering if they responsible about the throttle position or make the idle normal while the A.C is running.

(Forgive my English because most of the part's in here named differently and most of the work shops is not like you think specially when it comes to Felicia no one likes to repair it  :/ 

Edited by EastoCarlos

...most of the work shops is not like you think specially when it comes to Felicia no one likes to repair it  :/ 

Sadly, the same thing happens in other countries too... They say the car is too old and other things might break during repair. Don't worry, that's why this forum is all about. Do It Yourself. Their loss is your gain.

Now, about the A/C system integrity. I've inserted at the end of this post 3 illustrations that should help you decide if there are components missing. I think there are.

The MAP sensor: its location is shown below. For now it is enough to remove it, clean it, put it back.

PHMVKMR.jpg

The tropical thermostat looks exactly the same as a regular thermostat for 1.6 engine, except it opens at a slightly lower temperature of the coolant.

About idling speed increase when A/C is turned on. The component responsible for that is A/C control unit which sends a signal to the ECU indicating that the A/C has been switched on, and engine idling speed is increased (to compensate for load resulting from compressor work).

oSDEUFz.jpg

c7V7ad3.jpg

cgqOO7y.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. Recardo you are the man :)

Thanks a lot buddy for your precious information and your big efforts

About my forum and others. Really i've learned a lot science I registered in briskoda from you.

Thanks again i'll do my best to fix it and inform you and the Felicia owners with my achievements after following your steps.

Cheers. :)

Edited by EastoCarlos

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update after long time :)

I reconnect the A.C relay and fuse unit as Recardo's attached pictures.

Now my A.C working fine and the radiator fan the two stages.

But the low idle still the same.

I figured it because the the engine's control unit I guess it's not prepared with A.C it's number (032906030AG)

I don't know if I'm wrong or right ...

So I tried to replace it with (032906030AH) and it's still the same.

So kindly help .

• 7 years later...

@RicardoM  i have a question regarding to this topic ... is the ac in felicia 1.6 supposed to work on first or second speed ....as of my fan works immediately on second speed when pressing the ac button with the ignition on without firing up the engine (clutch still off) and the previous owner was using a 2-pin fan switch and it works only on first speed after reaching the temperature and i need to use the 3 pin as it was meant to be ...now i cant find the wire for the 3rd pin and i need to run a new wire but i am not sure where the other end of the wire should be connected to... if you can help me with it

• 2 weeks later...