Intermittent fan fault

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any issues with their fans? Yesterday the fans came on from cold with EML light on. Checked code and it said fan control 1? Cleared the fault and it drove ok

Went out this morning to take kids to school and fault came back again. Cleared it and drove ok, went out to pick them up and no fault showed, started the car to bring them home and it's back again.

Does the fan assembly have its own control module?

1.6Fsi Elegance pre F/L

Thanks in advance.

This is getting annoying now.

Go to pick up daughter from Nursery and EML comes on. Threw on my cheapie obd2 reader that I carry in car and get P0480.

Drive home and grab laptop to put VCDS on and fault no longer showing :mad:

I've checked the fans and they are clear of any obstruction, checked the connectors and removed and replugged. All connector terminals look ok and free from corrosion.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Edited by Mikek3111

Check for water in the fuse box under bonnet

I've taken the relays and fuses out and don't see any signs of it. As soon as it stops raining I'll take the fuse box apart and check.

Ok after a few hours out in the rain it looks as if the low speed resistor? Has burnt out as I have no low speed fans. Looks as though I'm going to need a new fan set.

I have climate control so my question now is are all mk2 fans packs the same? I.e I have a 1.6 FSI petrol. Are the tdi and tsi packs all the same size (obviously as long as they are twin fans and not single fans) or are they model specific?

Excuse me not having specific Octy2 knowledge, but does your car have a fan control module looking something like, or exactly like this?:

20160622_113246.jpg

To be found near the radiator/fans (if anywhere).

Edit: Can't see it in a parts catalog so I guess not, sorry, it's function(s) must be done differently somewhere.

Edited by Wino

I did consider that but I beleive they were mk1 only. I've had a look and can't find one. Trouble is I can't seem to find anything relating to a cooling relay for the mk2. I understand that there are some sort of internal resistors build into the motor assembly of the fans hence my reasoning for changing them.

I might download a bunch more current flow diagrams from erWin later, if so I'll be sure to include Octy2; or you could do so yourself - about 7 Euros + VAT for an hour's downloading.

What year is the car?

• Like 1

Ok been to Skoda dealer today to pick up a CTS. Replaced that and fault still there. Master Tech at Skoda just as confused as I am. We have read through the wiring Diagram and the only thing left in that complete circuit is a relay in the ebox that does several things but one of them is to control both fans.

Didn't have one in stock so need to wait till Thursday for it to come in. Failing that I don't have a bloody clue :(

• Like 1

Ok. Replaced that relay and light went off for a day. Came back on this morning. Same fault code. This is really bugging me now.

New Battery

Replacement of complete fan assembly

New Relay

New fuses

New coolant temp sensor

Cleaned earthing points

Removed fuse box, dried, cleaned, refitted.

Still no joy. Wiring all looks ok. This is doing my head in.

Is there a (dual) thermoswitch in the radiator (three-pin device)?  You haven't mentioned anything about that as far as I've noticed? 

Edit: I see from this page that you may not have, as it's a temperature sensor on some models instead, in the bottom hose fitting.  Is that the temperature sender that's been changed?

Edited by Wino

To be honest I've just noticed that one in the bottom hose and no that has not been changed. I did the one at the top of the engine though. Something really strange happened. I was in the ebox and checked fuse F8. Fuse was ok but when I reinserted the fans stopped and the fault code cleared?

I starting to suspect a faulty fuse box?

I had removed it and taken apart to dry it out and although all the pins looked ok I'm wondering if there maybe some dodgy connections or further damage from the water ingress than what is visible to the eye?

There wasn't a load of water in there, 5 maybe 10ml of water.

Light is off for now and will monitor it and see what happens. Can pick up a second hand fuse box for £25-30 so if it starts again I may just replace that sensor and the fuse box at the same time?

Is there a (dual) thermoswitch in the radiator (three-pin device)?  You haven't mentioned anything about that as far as I've noticed? 

Edit: I see from this page that you may not have, as it's a temperature sensor on some models instead, in the bottom hose fitting.  Is that the temperature sender that's been changed?

Just called skoda and that bottom temp switch is same part number as the top one so I have one here ready to change if the fault comes back.

Just called skoda and that bottom temp switch is same part number as the top one so I have one here ready to change if the fault comes back.

In that case it's two-pin? A sensor rather than a switch, I think.

In that case it's two-pin? A sensor rather than a switch, I think.

Yeah it appears so. Interestingly the bottom sensor does not show on the skoda wiring diagrams for the coolant circuits and is part of a completely different wiring diagram, which is probably why we missed it in the first place. (Spend Tuesday afternoon reading them with skoda master tech who has been kindly helping with questions etc over the phone).

I haven't done anything about downloading the current-flow diagrams, and it sounds like I would have struggled anyway, due to not knowing about the existence of that sensor, and not thinking about thermoswitch as something that hasn't been changed 'til I noticed it wasn't in your list of things done. 

Which way do the wires head from the back of that lower sensor, towards the fans or towards the e-box/elsewhere?

Still might do it though for future reference.

Edited by Wino