Fabia Mk1 dash pod - electrics problem HELP! I'm having a nervous breakdown over this!

I'm doing so much head scratching I am now getting a bald spot!

My problems started two weeks ago with my fabia mk1 2001 estate. Simples? Nope! not, unfortunately, kermit as he is affectionately known,  is a green Mk1 fabia estate in superb condition, with full history and less than 60k on the clock. He started suffering with the dreaded microswitch problem in the door which meant that the interior lights and warning buzzer stopped working, also the central locking would lock but not unlock.

So I set to, and ordered a central locking motor off ebay then spent a few hours disconnecting everything in organised fashion and replaced the motor. It worked! For all of two attempts, so deciding it was a faulty motor I returned it and was sent another, again I set to sorting out replacing the motor, unhooking everything in the door and replacing it only to find I had the same problems again. The central locking would lock and unlock about twice then pack in all together. I decided to ditch the new part (probably a china copy) and go to my local Vag breakers who supplied me with an original bench tested working part. No luck, it still didnt work. The micro switch worked, the interior lights came on but no central locking when it came to unlocking the car, even removing the lock and turning the motor by hand with a screw driver made no difference.

I then decided it could have been a wiring fault in the door loom, so ordered a whole door loom and window panel and set to replacing it, fingers crossed, when I hooked the battery up - nothing no central locking!

After two days I decided to leave it and just cope with it locking but not unlocking, until,........and this is the crunch, the dashboard died!  I now have no central locking and no warning lights on the dash with the exception of the lcd miles display, and to make matters worse the car no will not start, (an immobiliser fault)?

Vagcom wont communicate with "instruments" and I decided to send the dash pod off to revtronics in bradford for repair as apparently there are problems with the 6y units occasionally and they hold part of the immobiliser info.

Revtronics have sent it back saying they cant find any faults and suspect the chip in the dash is fried, they suggested getting an identical unit and coding it to the car, so I did, the identical unit came today and was plugged in only to do nothing and wont even communicate with the vagcom.......instruments not found!lt

So I now have a pristine fabia low miles that I might as well fill with soil and use as a planter as its on the drive and I don't have any idea what to do or where to go with repairing it.......I cant find a mobile auto electrician with vag software and the only local mobile electrician spoke polish as his first language and I couldnt explain the problem to him. 

Help, before I loose the will to live! PLEASE!

Edited by julesderby

Does the "Convenience Unit" play a role in the functions that you are having trouble with - they can be bought cheaply enough on ebay if you want to test by replacing. The fact that Vag Com is completely failing to communicate with a major system must be at the root of the problem - but which system. I would keep looking for a car electrician that understands Fabias - perhaps try a Czech rather than a Pole ?

I've checked all the fuses, they are all ok, and the ones under the bonnet (near battery) , All the loom seems ok It is communicating with the convenience control module but not the dash or instruments in any way shape or form the dash board is totally dead, and it wont start, the only display is the mileage display nothing else works. All switches work.

Check the ECU connections, clean contacts, check wiring going into the connections. Seen as you have eliminated the dash, next would be ECU. You can get it immo deleted various ways, or buy a immo deleted one. They go for just under £100. 

Central locking .. locking but not unlocking .. I had a similar issue .. TBH, I might still have it but I temporary had it sorted somehow. Dumb question, do your windows go up and down when holding the key longer in the door lock ? 2nd, wasn't there an emergency procedure to start the car when the immo or the key was faulty ?

Battery is brand new to be honest it was replaced a month ago and is in good condition, windows go up and down with the key, I've ordered an identical comfort control module but unsure of the procedure for retrieving the code off the current one and re coding it - I have access to vagcom. I've checked the ecu, cleaned all the connections with electrical cleaner while battery was disconnected dried everything then reconnected it made no difference. The vagcom is recognising the ecu systems, and comfort control module but not the dash - like I said earlier lots of head scratching. It recently had a new power steering pump fitted but the warning light went out and that performed normally (just to rule things out) 

Main issues are - No ignition lights etc on dash although miles are on lcd

Car turns over starts then cuts out

Central locking will lock but not unlock - but only from drivers side - all working normally on passenger side

Dash pod has been to revtronics in bradford who bench tested it and cant find a problem they suggested the chip that stores immobiliser info may be fried.

Replacement dash pod matched up and is showing the same symptoms

New comfort cont module ordered.

I'm loosing the will to live its me or the car!

Could it be an earth issue in the fuse box or a fuse Ive missed? My haynes manual is worse than useless it just says take to a main dealer - but I've called them and by the time I've recovered the car and spent 2-3 hours on labour its going to be virtually written off with the expense of it all.

I am lost! Don't suppose there is anyone near me who would be expert enough to come look at it for a fee? I'm starting to feel like taking a hammer to the thing! Arghhh ps - really appreciate the suggestions thanks ;-)

Hmmm, could be the immobiliser inductive sensor loop, had a 1.4 MPI briefly which did this, it would start then cut out with a little key symbol lit on the dash, I cleaned up the connectors to the loop and reflowed the solder pads on the dash to correct the problem.

With no dash lights I guess you won't see the little key symbol, does the rev counter work when it starts?

• Like 1

It's not an immobiliser issue, that doesn't stop the engine from starting

It's sounding very much like a battery issue to be. What's the battery voltage?

Well it did on mine, would try and turn over but not fire up, like the fuel pump was blocked. The immo delete solved it for me. I was also getting dash related errors on vcds, Its possible so ive read that the ECU on dash looses its code linked to the main ECU. I think its more hassle solving this than getting a delete.

Well it did on mine, would try and turn over but not fire up, like the fuel pump was blocked. The immo delete solved it for me. I was also getting dash related errors on vcds, Its possible so ive read that the ECU on dash looses its code linked to the main ECU. I think its more hassle solving this than getting a delete.

So that was a dash issue rather than a immobiliser coding issue.

What I mean is if there is an issue with the key/reader then the car will start then cut out.

It sounds like the dash isn't getting power. I would start with a fitting the original dash pod then doing a full scan with vcds and put the results up on here.

Hmmm, could be the immobiliser inductive sensor loop, had a 1.4 MPI briefly which did this, it would start then cut out with a little key symbol lit on the dash, I cleaned up the connectors to the loop and reflowed the solder pads on the dash to correct the problem.

With no dash lights I guess you won't see the little key symbol, does the rev counter work when it starts?

I can't reprogramme the immobiliser as you suggest, but the other lights should have come up on the dash even without it programmed. Unfortunately It is showing nothing on the dash. ;-(

It sounds like the dash isn't getting power. I would start with a fitting the original dash pod then doing a full scan with vcds and put the results up on here.

Thanks, the original dash is now back in. I will try that

Guy's these are the error codes I am getting as of today.......

18058     01312  power train data bus

P1650   Missing message from instrument cluster

01317 control module in instrument cluster no communication

Can Anyone Help?

Yup. You would get those if there was no communication with the dash cluster.

Can you access 19 gateway?

Has you checked the supply and Earth to the dash cluster?

Where can I find the supply and earth to the dash cluster please? Ive checked the leads at the back and cleaned them with electrical cleaner.