Turbo Police siren noise after remap... GT1749vb

I've recently fitted a brand new PD150 turbo GT1749vb and have been driving it for a few weeks on the current map I had on my previous kkk. Everything seemed fine, I didn't floor it to prevent any damage to the turbo over the few weeks, however I started to have boost spikes.

So I booked the car in for a remap at Big Fish Tuning, Stokesley. (Tuesday 7th June)

Everything seemed fine on the dyno while I was there, produced 176bhp @ 1.9 bar. when it come off the dyno there was a small spillage of oil on the floor...

And when the guy took it for a road test I could hear an unusual siren noise I haven't heard before...

I can only really hear the siren noise at low speed but it's now driving me crazy! And I'm worried the turbo may now be damaged...

I have spoken to Big Fish Tuning today and have been told either a boost leak or early signs of turbo failure! But it's a brand new turbo... How? And why? I have checked for boost leaks and it's certainly not that!

Has anyone else had this problem before? And how can I fix it?

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie.

Where was the turbo from?

If it's brand new it will have a warranty.

Where did the oil on the dyno come from?

- Turbo Active

- Possibly under warranty, not sure.

- We done an oil and filter change before the remap, went to fit the new sump plug and it was loose in the hole, the old sump plug was over size so had to reuse it but not tighten it much so was dripping from that. - the sump plug was tight, it never leaked for the first few days only after the log drive and being pushed on the dyno, was more of a drip i think.

Edited by hutchysrs50

Why would the turbo be damaged unless it was supplied faulty and do you have a proper air filter?

A brand new turbo is good to go straight from the box, no need to fanny around in grandpa mode, it's already been run up at the factory to check the balance. Fix that oil leak, it's probably the sump plug.

Edit: Hutchy just answered most questions so whip off the TIP and check the impeller.

Edited by sepulchrave

Why would the turbo be damaged unless it was supplied faulty and do you have a proper air filter?

A brand new turbo is good to go straight from the box, no need to fanny around in grandpa mode, it's already been run up at the factory to check the balance. Fix that oil leak, it's probably the sump plug.

Edit: Hutchy just answered most questions so whip off the TIP and check the impeller.

Air filter was a brand new s2000 one, old one was clean but wanted to do a full service before the remap so oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.

Only reason jamie was taking his time was because of the boost spikes, he has a boost gauge up to about 35psi'ish and on full throttle the needle would go off the gauge, so advised him not to drive it aggressively untill its had a proper remap.

IMO 1.8 bar would be around the area after a decent remap so over 35psi i knew it was closer to 2.4...

Edited by hutchysrs50

Tell him to scrap the daft boost gauge, it's not properly damped for a diesel, diesels don't have wastegates or BOV's so they can spike briefly before the VNT feathers, the ECU ignores transient boost spikes and only flags for overboost if the condition lasts long enough.

Tell him to scrap the daft boost gauge, it's not properly damped for a diesel, diesels don't have wastegates or BOV's so they can spike briefly before the VNT feathers, the ECU ignores transient boost spikes and only flags for overboost if the condition lasts long enough.

I don't see the boost gauge doing any harm so not gonna scrap it... It has an in-line filter so does that not dampen it down?

Think you need to get under the car and confirm where the oil has come from. Hopefully not the turbo oil feed line.

I have been underneath the car and there was oil on the sump plug and surrounding It. I was able to get a good turn on the plug (was being careful as I didn't want to strip the thread out the sump) so hopefully that has sorted the leak!

Edited by JamieFabia6Y

Its weird, maybe bad turbo from the remanufacture's. Police siren is not a good sign at all and that turbo should probably make a touch more power then 180. I guess you have to pull the intake off and inspect the cold side of the turbo.

Its weird, maybe bad turbo from the remanufacture's. Police siren is not a good sign at all and that turbo should probably make a touch more power then 180. I guess you have to pull the intake off and inspect the cold side of the turbo.

I really hope it's not a dodgy turbo... Like I said it's been fine driving before the remap, and now they've put it up to 1.9 bar the noise has started. The only thing to do now is to inspect the turbo and find out where the noise is coming from! :(

I don't see the boost gauge doing any harm so not gonna scrap it... It has an in-line filter so does that not dampen it down?

Not enough damping, the harm it's doing is you're looking at it believing there's a problem.

I had the siren when the turbo was cold for a few months, then it was there all the time. Still drove it for anther few months before changing it.

Here's what my turbo looked like when I first inspected it on the car

17606181862_5c49076945_b.jpg

And when I took it off the car I had lots of shaft play

19365586361_6202e57de8_b.jpg

• Like 1

There was no play at all. Was a brand new turbo from darksides

i'll just have to check and inspect it then!

Be such a shame if it's got any issues since it is brand new basically.

My 2p worth is the intake wheel damaged, I always link the police siren noise to a damaged intake compressor wheel.

I've recently fitted a brand new PD150 turbo GT1749vb and have been driving it for a few weeks on the current map I had on my previous kkk. Everything seemed fine, I didn't floor it to prevent any damage to the turbo over the few weeks, however I started to have boost spikes.

So I booked the car in for a remap at Big Fish Tuning, Stokesley. (Tuesday 7th June)

Everything seemed fine on the dyno while I was there, produced 176bhp @ 1.9 bar. when it come off the dyno there was a small spillage of oil on the floor...

And when the guy took it for a road test I could hear an unusual siren noise I haven't heard before...

I can only really hear the siren noise at low speed but it's now driving me crazy! And I'm worried the turbo may now be damaged...

I have spoken to Big Fish Tuning today and have been told either a boost leak or early signs of turbo failure! But it's a brand new turbo... How? And why? I have checked for boost leaks and it's certainly not that!

Has anyone else had this problem before? And how can I fix it?

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie.

1.9bar sounds way too high for that turbo - or is that a typo? Think when i was on standard KKK i was at about 1.65bar and man maths would suggest about 165bhp. Siren noise = turbo illness unfortunately

stock PD150 turbo shouldn't be pushed past 1.7bar and if you have ran it on a mapped KKK map it will have oversped the turbo and likely damaged it

Nothing to do with the map, it's the mechanical actuator adjustment that wasn't set correctly if the new turbo over speeded. I agree about the boost pressure though, 1.9 bar sounds absurd.

N75 maps are different between pd130/150/160's. If it's been custom mapped then the area which requires the most work to get controlled boost is the n75 map. That's assuming the actuator is set correctly. If it's a genuine new turbo then it should be. If it's a recon then who knows what it's set to.

stock PD150 turbo shouldn't be pushed past 1.7bar and if you have ran it on a mapped KKK map it will have oversped the turbo and likely damaged it

That's exactly why I was driving cautiously when I had the map from the previous kkk.

Big Fish Tuning said that they was originally aiming for 1.85 bar... So 1.9 bar is way too much for this turbo?

That's exactly why I was driving cautiously when I had the map from the previous kkk.

Big Fish Tuning said that they was originally aiming for 1.85 bar... So 1.9 bar is way too much for this turbo?

Yes! which is probably the reason that not many people on this forum have heard of Big Fish Tuning................................

Yes! which is probably the reason that not many people on this forum have heard of Big Fish Tuning................................

Aparantly it's the best place in the North East, according to the members based up here...

Hence why I travelled the extra distance and payed the extra for the best service which has back fired!