Replacing front seat cushion. Mk1 vrs.

Hi there

I've had a look through the tech guides but can't seem to find an answer to this.

Is there a way to replace the front seat cushion of a mk1 vrs without taking the cover off et cetera?

I have some donor seats but only want to replace the cushion so I can keep my storage box and not have to spend a week cleaning the donor seats.

Cheers.

You have to remove the lower cover to replace the foam padding yes. No fancy tools required, just some strong side cutters to remove the hog rings, and preferably a set of hog ring pliers and hog rings to refit the cover to the base

I'll be doing the exact same job as I've just bought a new replacement base to cure my soft original one - still available from Skoda

As Lofty said its a cover off job using pliers for the hog rings. You can get special pliers for hog rings but I've always managed with side cutters and needle nose pliers. It is a very fiddly job. I've had to do it a few times before to replace heated seat elements mainly. Not my favourite job in the world it has to be said! Good luck!

If you are swapping the base foam complete with the cover you don't have to remove the cover. You can unclip the edges and swap it over.

Can this be done with the drivers seat back too? Can you swap the drivers seat back cushion and cover over with the passengers seat?

I know that they're handed due to the pockets as it were but, if one wasn't bothered about the pocket position (which never gets used on my car anyway), is there anything that you know of stopping the swop?

The reason for asking is that the passengers seat never gets used on my car and it's cover and cushion are perfect, it would stop further deterioration on the drivers seat if I could swop the complete cushion/cover assembly on the back over.

If push came to shove I could even use the pocket material to get a colour match repair on the damaged bolster, although I'd rather not as it will mean a total strip down of that seat back to do the job properly. I just wondered if there were any special fittings or anything preventing the cushion/cover back units being done?

The bottom line is, I don't want to spend any money but, if I can make things more comfortable for me (the driver) while keeping the passengers side looking reasonable (although not perfect) it would suit me until I make up my mind over keeping the car and spending fortunes on it (hmm... not to sure how Swmbo will feel about that) or, get another car (yes, but what). So any info you can help with will let me get started (or not). Thanks Tech1e.

P.s. Sorry for h-jacking your thread DougS, I thought my query was still relevent and would help anyone else in the same position though. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it, lol!) Sorry again.

Edited by Coffin Dodger