FMIC Hardpipe Kit from ebay

Quality won't be as good as the Darkside kit but will do the job

A alloy pipe is a alloy pipe! :D

And Darksides kit is not spot on,know of people that have had leaks in the welds,and the pipework touching the rear of headlights.

• Like 1

A alloy pipe is a alloy pipe! :D

And Darksides kit is not spot on,know of people that have had leaks in the welds,and the pipework touching the rear of headlights.

Interesting. I was considering buying it and putting a pressure tester on it before fitting it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ok, ok... 133 watchers on eBay...

I'll buy it if I can find out which couplers I need.

Have I got this right, the 2 connections on the intercooler use the pipe clips supplied with the kit.

So I still need the 2 bayonet couplers, one to connect to the EGR and the other to connect to the turbo. I can see these (I think) in the Darkside kit.

mike07vrs gave a link to the Forge website, but its broken  :no:  

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/203948-upper-boost-pipe-replacement-guide/

1 x Forge Bayonet Coupler 64mm-60mm

1 x Forge Bayonet Coupler 60mm

Forge have 10 different types of couplers - Does anyone know which one we need, if we buy this kit?

Edited by Tuftythesquirrel

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. The kit is fine. I got one (purchased from UK stock, but the same). It's not perfect routing for those alloy pipes, but quite close.Maybe can be bend little bit more some places. I didn't try. Silicone is thin, compared to ASH or Samco but still hold the pressure. Clamps are decent, although one is wrong size for Turbo connecting elbow that BTW is reducing elbow 57-50mm. Other elbow is just 57 90 deg. Couplers sizes are 50-51 and 60-63. Bigger one going to EGR is only needed if you retain ASV + BKD  EGR delete on BLT engines or keep original EGR on ASZ engine. otherwise 57mm elbow goes direct on the 57mm EGR delete. If you use the egr coupler, you need to cut the upper elbow and persuade it to fit the 60mm side, but in the end it'll fit.

I've been running this on Stage 1 map and no leaks or blowouts. It's fitted on uprated FMIC from Universal Intercoolers. All I'm going to say, you won't be able to use left center bolt of the bumper. It goes where bottom pipe joins the intercooler, covering the mounting hole. I got it on Mk4 Ibiza and I had to cut away some bumper, no idea how it would fit VRs's bumper.

Other than that it's very decent piece of kit for less than half price of Darkside kit.

this is my boost log with the kit and KKK turbo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3JzMrC7gYRVmZaRWJ4OERrZE0

Edited by coronah

Sorry guys, still waiting for this to turn up from China!

So this is what I've done so far. I've attached a list of all the parts if anyone wants to repeat this. The car is a 2007, 1.9 vRS SE BLT, with the EGR still fitted and standard turbo.

Took some VCDS logs. I've logged the intake air temperature on my way home on Friday, over the last 40 minutes of my weekly journey. Weather was a nice sunny June day about 20 deg C and roads were mostly motorway standard dual carriageway. The air intake temperature could go up to 95C, more typical was 60-70 C with the throttle wide open (see pic). Will do the same when the intercooler is fitted.

post-63189-0-41845100-1468692249_thumb.jpg

The kit hasn't got the bayonet connectors for the EGR and the Turbo outlet. So I took the OEM ones out and measured them. 64mm (EGR) and 50.3mm (Turbo). So I got the Creation Motorsport ones (see parts list). I also got the OEM O Rings to fit these (tldarbyvolkswagen on eBay, really helpful guys, a lot more helpful than Audi Cardiff, who lets face it, aren't interested unless you are buying a new R8). These are a much nicer, tighter fit than the OEM ones.

Then bought 2 off, 90 degree elbows from Derby Performance Hoses, to go from the bayonet fittings to the 57mm pipes, which the hard pipe kit is meant to provide (if it ever turns up).

Also got some Mikalor clamps, because I think they look beefier than the ones coming with the kit.

post-63189-0-38026400-1468692291_thumb.jpg post-63189-0-39931100-1468692296_thumb.jpg post-63189-0-58673700-1468692301_thumb.jpg

Also bought a Seat Cupra front crash bar, which quite frankly, I'm not sure will fit, because the chassis brackets look different to the Fabia ones. Maybe the angle grinder is needed, but I'm waiting for the pipe kit to get here before I take the front bumper off again.

post-63189-0-11800600-1468692404_thumb.jpg

I know I need to take some metal off the crash bar, so I've made up a bit of reinforcing out of 20x2.4mm box section, to be welded to the inside of the crash bar, so I can take off as much metal as I need without losing any strength. Hmmm need to learn to weld again...

post-63189-0-95449000-1468692473_thumb.jpg post-63189-0-83277100-1468692480_thumb.jpg post-63189-0-79365700-1468692486_thumb.jpg

Where's the intercooler?

I'm still undecided between the Darkside or Airtec intercooler. There was much confusion between Airtec and one of their distributors, regarding the mounting brackets. With the distributor saying they were special brackets to fit the Airtec intercooler, so I would have to by the Airtec pipe kit as they didn't supply them separately. Airtec said they weren't and they came with intercooler when you buy it. Turns out neither was true .... they are bog standard Seat parts but do not come with the intercooler! From [email protected] - again really helpful chaps. I've also want to mount the intercooler so its sits parallel to the front bumper (because I'm weirdly OCD like that), so I might have to modify the brackets.

Question, in the picture, I've shown both the Darkside and Airtec intercoolers fitted in a Fabia. For some reason the Airtec one sits lower than the Darkside one, but I'm not sure why. It is probably where the pick up points for the brackets are placed on the intercooler body. Therefore, it seems with the Darkside one you have to cut less out of the bumper, but you would need to remove the lug marked in red, but I'm not sure what else.

post-63189-0-74336500-1468692570_thumb.jpg

Has anyone had experience of doing it both ways?

Cheers.

FMIC Conversion Parts List.xls

Edited by Tuftythesquirrel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Kit finally turned up....

I was expecting the worst, however, I have been presently surprised.

Clamps: I bought some Mikalor clamps as I thought they would be better. Wrong! The clamps look just as sturdy as the Mikalor ones and they are probably better finished.

post-63189-0-22808200-1469566662_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-73906800-1469566691_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-40238900-1469566704_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-01744000-1469566714_thumb.jpg

Silicone Hose: Hard to tell the difference between the kit pipes and the DPH ones I bought. The kits ones are marginally thinner i.e. 4.5mm against 5mm

post-63189-0-55154100-1469566750_thumb.jpg

Hard Pipes: Again, really well finished, polished nicely and consistent, good looking weld on the sensor fitting.

post-63189-0-36652800-1469566777_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-62702700-1469566782_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-92772900-1469566789_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-91056900-1469566797_thumb.jpg

post-63189-0-29282200-1469566850_thumb.jpgpost-63189-0-97007300-1469566864_thumb.jpg

Nothing not to like ......

and Airtec intercooler turning up next week.

Cheers.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Does the map sensor wiring need extending for this kit? Does anyone sell extended wiring for the pipe kits as looked everywhere. Am fitting to a Polo GT130 BLT but can't find any done on the VW yet!

Does anyone know if I have a Fabia or a Ibiza crash bar? Just thinking of biting the bullet and going for it.

Does the map sensor wiring need extending for this kit? Does anyone sell extended wiring for the pipe kits as looked everywhere. Am fitting to a Polo GT130 BLT but can't find any done on the VW yet!

Does anyone know if I have a Fabia or a Ibiza crash bar? Just thinking of biting the bullet and going for it.

I fitted a Darkside pipe kit and the map sensor boss was in perfect position and no extending of wires was needed. If you do need to extend the wires, speaker wire can be used apparently. Double check before you go ahead with that though, I wouldn't want you having problems!

As for the crash bar, you won't need to take much of if you have the Fabia type. I believe the Ibiza bar needs little to no cutting.

I only needed to take a slither from my bad, by a slither I mean a piece three inches long and about a quarter inch wide.

JRJG