New Breed of Aftermarket Multimedia Head Units - discussion!

Guest trl1

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the new wave of aftermarket head units from China etc.. ??

I was looking to upgrade my basic Bolero to something which preferably had: Satnav / Bluetooth / DAB / iPod or MP3 player control

If you want to do all this with an OEM unit (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda) you're talking mega bucks new (£800) and still quite expensive used and rare to get all those features.

The Chinese units on the face of it offer incredible spec and features for the money, Android OS, (so compatible with smartphones) Apps, Maps, DVD as well as the normal functions (A complete multimedia system). I'm talking about manufacturers: Pumpkin, Joying, Erisin, and Xtrons (German) to name a few.

If you go for a known quality brand to get all this spec (Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine) its about £500+ compared with £200-£250 for Chinese, although I am concerned about reliability and build quality, you don't really want to be sending them back to China for returns.

The obvious issue with some units which use maps like Google is that they are internet based so you'd use up all your mobile data allowance very quickly. So for me, it needs to have GPS system. 

I've recently brought one is these type for my ford and although it offers a lot of toys and gimmicks I have lost a lot of functions of it actually talking to the car as such.

Also I have found that I barely use half of it now after the initial honeymoon period.

I have the Columbus in my octy and the only thing I miss from it is DAB, having said that I wouldn't be putting a aftermarket Android one just to gain DAB and google programs.

Also, Mine has GPS built in which is actually a downloaded app called Igo, its okay but not as good as the skoda sat-nav system.

I haven't done so yet but it would pay off to buy a dongle and internet only sim card for it to get the full use of the system.

With regards to returns, I think they all have regional dealers that deal with returns and replacements etc.

Lastly, reliability, in my mind, because it is android, it can become infected with all sorts, and thus not be as reliable as a normal head unit.

Hi,

I just bought this one:

https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-1-car-stereo/volkswagen-android-5-1-car-stereo/joying-2016-latest-aftermarket-european-warehouse-lollipop-android-5-1-1-car-head-unit-autoradio-quad-core-double-din-gps-navigation-system-stereo-radio-support-reverse-camera-dvr-goo.html

Going to install it on wednsday.

I was really dissapointed when I found out how much map updates cost to RNS-315 and RNS-510. And I love Android.

Only winter time in Finland makes me worry, wonder if this unit from Chine can cope with -30 degrees celcius...

Hi,

I just bought this one:

https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-1-car-stereo/volkswagen-android-5-1-car-stereo/joying-2016-latest-aftermarket-european-warehouse-lollipop-android-5-1-1-car-head-unit-autoradio-quad-core-double-din-gps-navigation-system-stereo-radio-support-reverse-camera-dvr-goo.html

Going to install it on wednsday.

I was really dissapointed when I found out how much map updates cost to RNS-315 and RNS-510. And I love Android.

Only winter time in Finland makes me worry, wonder if this unit from Chine can cope with -30 degrees celcius...

good to see they're using 5.1 lolipop instead of 4.4 kitkat now

good to see they're using 5.1 lolipop instead of 4.4 kitkat now

Yeah. And really hoping that this new hardware is ready for even further. Those older 4.4 devices can't be updated to 5.1 without hardware upgrades. Altough CarJoying gave required hardware for 4.4 users, they only had to pay for posting fees.

Really like Joying, it seems that they really support their customers, and bringing updates.

Yeah. And really hoping that this new hardware is ready for even further.

The hardware is rubbish...

- RK3188

- 1024*600 resolution

- 1GB RAM

- 16GB storage

A brand new similar spec'ed tablet can be had for ~£50 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lowest-price-Chuwi-V17HD-Quad-Core-1-83GHz-CPU-7-inch-Multi-touch-Camera-8G-ROM/32317479960.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_2_10037_10017_10032_10040,searchweb201603_2&btsid=c545eef3-7928-4a1d-ade4-61aa30a35a0f Admittedly it has 8GB storage rather than 16GB but that should only be an extra £20 or so.

I can't believe that they haven't released versions with 1080p screens, 2-4GB RAM and a CPU that's not from 2013.

The hardware is rubbish...

- RK3188

- 1024*600 resolution

- 1GB RAM

- 16GB storage

A brand new similar spec'ed tablet can be had for ~£50 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lowest-price-Chuwi-V17HD-Quad-Core-1-83GHz-CPU-7-inch-Multi-touch-Camera-8G-ROM/32317479960.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_2_10037_10017_10032_10040,searchweb201603_2&btsid=c545eef3-7928-4a1d-ade4-61aa30a35a0f Admittedly it has 8GB storage rather than 16GB but that should only be an extra £20 or so.

I can't believe that they haven't released versions with 1080p screens, 2-4GB RAM and a CPU that's not from 2013.

I know that it seems outdated on paper, but everything seems to work smoothly, and that's what I really want. My friend has one of these, and only complain has been screen visibility on bright sunlight and some BT-issues.

But I'm going to find out myself in few days. :)

the common main handicap , they all have no onboard/offline Navigation-System. You allways have to be online ...expensive when abroad......and so they´re too expensive

a 8" tablet is around 70€, a simple car radio is around 50€, a good Navigationsystem with lifetime map update is available for 100€....and you pay +400€ for a "car tablet"  with car radio/amplifier and the rest is only mirror link stuff from your own mobile.....

If these head units will have a good onboard/offline navigation system with lifetime updated maps for around 400€....then it´s worth to think about.....

But consider this: Is just one feature defect, the whole head unit will be out for repair or for buying new....

I am happy with my Stream and a seperate Becker Navigation and a seperate Parrot......all easy to handle while driving.....

Edited by 0ctavist

For me, my son's discarded Sony Experia T (James bond phone) plus Here maps, and an Asda £4 screen mount and poundland 3.5mm cable gives me all the navigation and music I need anywhere in the world. Add a three simcard and Spotify if you want more.

• Like 2

thanks guys, good stuff

jonssonj please report back and let us know how you go.. - I see some Joying units demo'd on Youtube.

So all of these Android/China units need internet connection (Google maps) for the Satnav? 

I thought some of them had their own GPS system and maps ?

Xman - sounds like a great cheap alternative.  

How are you finding Here maps, any problems or issues ? (free offline maps Android mobile app) 

I read about some problems when you update the app and it losing map data ?

thanks in advance 

Here maps works great offline, maps and updates are free. I love the speed warning ability. Available on all platforms. Never had map data disappear. You need to go online for realtime traffic and the really obscure location searches but it hardly uses any data.

Its different to google maps, more like a traditional gps unit which is why youngsters shy away.

The advantages of a phone based system is it goes with you, not the car. Change car? No problem, use a bike? No problem. Wife wants to borrow it? Well, it depends on who phoned you yesterday. ;)

Edited by xman

For the record, Google Maps have a 30 day offline map feature. You can save huge chunks of maps for 30 days, but you can keep them indefinitely if you just hit the update option before the 30 days expire.

For the record, Google Maps have a 30 day offline map feature. You can save huge chunks of maps for 30 days, but you can keep them indefinitely if you just hit the update option before the 30 days expire.

Or even select the automatically update on WiFi option ;)

the common main handicap , they all have no onboard/offline Navigation-System. You allways have to be online ...expensive when abroad......and so they´re too expensive

a 8" tablet is around 70€, a simple car radio is around 50€, a good Navigationsystem with lifetime map update is available for 100€....and you pay +400€ for a "car tablet"  with car radio/amplifier and the rest is only mirror link stuff from your own mobile.....

If these head units will have a good onboard/offline navigation system with lifetime updated maps for around 400€....then it´s worth to think about.....

But consider this: Is just one feature defect, the whole head unit will be out for repair or for buying new....

I am happy with my Stream and a seperate Becker Navigation and a seperate Parrot......all easy to handle while driving.....

No offence but what a pile of rubbish. This Chinese head units work on wince or android or both so you can easily buy (some are even for free) any OFFLINE navigation you want (igo, sygic, tomtom, copilot etc). Some of them have lifetime licence&update, some yearly subscription. Also prices of these apps are nowhere you said - just check google play store.

Tablet integration looks usually awful, on the other end, Chinese made huge step in terms of built quality so it is not concern anymore. Reliability is also much improved, sure the stock headunits are better in this aspect but also 3x dearer (and fail too). But that's what warranty is for, isn't it? Plus there is no need to buy directly from China, dealers like icebox auto or pumpkin on amazon have competitive prices and are based in uk. Btw show me a 8" tablet for €70 from reputable company...

I've had Stream before, replaced it with Bolero and with Columbus afterwards. Now I've got Roadnav S160 and never looked back...worth every penny.

To the OP, use search button, these units are discussed here a lot.

• Like 1

Now I've installed my Joying head unit. And it works great!

It has pre-installed iGo navigation software with offline navigation. Europe map included, but it needs SD-card for updating maps. And yes, I can use Google Maps offline.

After changing HU I have no more navigation directions on Maxidot, but didn't even used it with my Amundsen.

Only problem now is bad radio reception, but it can be fixed by isolating antenna cable.

Microphone which is built in the HU is quite bad, so I have to install external microphone to the roof.

Steering wheel keys works as well.

In your previous post to which I replied you said "But consider this: Is just one feature defect, the whole head unit will be out for repair or for buying new...." and then , as an alternative, you post link to some generic-brand tablet which is probably made in the same factory as the headunits we talk about here...can you see the cliche? If you are happy with your Stream that's fine but don't slack this units on your personal assumptions.

Now I've installed my Joying head unit. And it works great!

It has pre-installed iGo navigation software with offline navigation. Europe map included, but it needs SD-card for updating maps. And yes, I can use Google Maps offline.

After changing HU I have no more navigation directions on Maxidot, but didn't even used it with my Amundsen.

Only problem now is bad radio reception, but it can be fixed by isolating antenna cable.

Microphone which is built in the HU is quite bad, so I have to install external microphone to the roof.

Steering wheel keys works as well.

Does the unit display climate control changes or parking sensors? If yes then directions on maxidot should work. Maybe you can try different navigation?

To fix bad reception you will need antenna amplifier. Wasn't on supplied with your headunit? Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Deluxe-Inline-Car-Antenna-Radio-AM-FM-Signal-Amp-Amplifier-Booster-Wire-UK-/152034046439?hash=item2365ef71e7:g:PfYAAOSwZtJW-0Wz

With external microphone you might loose voice control. If the unit's board is made in similar way as my unit then only way how to make voice control work with external microphone is to solder it instead if internal one.

Edited by dara85
  • Like 1

Hi,

It does display climate control and parking sensors, but no navigation on Maxidot.

There was no radio amplifier included, I think I'll have to get one then.

Thank you for your help.

Hi guys, thanks for all your input.

I really want DAB built in, but none of the Android units seem to have this. 

Here is the only unit I could find which does everything I want in one unit, but its non Android, and Kudos maps ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172001713804?euid=7502186938cd43e2b3dc37644fde12ac&bu=43113457630&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Also says it only fits Mk1 Octavia and not my Mk 2, would that be right ? (currently old style Bolero, non USB)

Same shop says Android DAB unit is coming soon, approx £400.

I'm going to be investing in an android HU and going to go for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201523273529 I think, unless something else comes up.

Can add USB DAB, OBD2 etc.

Worth looking at custom ROMs - http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units , changing the Launcher etc

Thanks Jellybeard, you might just have swayed me with this one!

And DAB module will just plug into USB. 

I guess you've done a lot of research on these?

Also, you know its not a UK seller right? It says UK but if you read the small print its supplied from Hong Kong

Edited by trl1

Thanks Jellybeard, you might just have swayed me with this one!

And DAB module will just plug into USB. 

I guess you've done a lot of research on these?

Also, you know its not a UK seller right? It says UK but if you read the small print its supplied from Hong Kong

You could say I've done a bit of research!

XDA has a load of information on these, but it's difficult to work out what the unit is without finding someone who has bought the exact same unit or having it in front of you! More info - http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Generic_Android_Head_Unit

They're all made by a small number of companies and rebadged. There are a number of different sellers on ebay, so check a few. If it's listed in the UK, the item should ship from the UK and can be returned to the UK if faulty. The seller could be abroad though, which I suspect is the case with that auction - HK company, with a UK warehouse.