Has the oil spec changed?

Cumbrian28

Yesterday I went to a local dealers for a bottle of oil to use as a top up as necessary. I was told that they use Shell oils, I wanted Castrol Edge, as in the handbook ( which incidentally doesn't state the viscosity needed). Has the spec changed?

• Like 1

Oil specs are also driven by ever changing emissions standards.....it won't be long before 0 - 20 becomes the norm to reduce CO2 by another gram/km.

Maybe they will find another use for dieselene

Edited by Ryeman

First time the TT had a lubrication service (last year) they used Castrol. Had another service last week and they used Mobil, same dealer.

As said they use whatever they get the best deal on. As long as meets the spec then fine and no problem mixing different brands.

Even the manufacturer's swing from one brand to another.

Hi Cumbrian28, assuming you went to Border Cars? they do use Shell oils and have done for a while but they should be the correct VAG standard.

Whenever they carry out a service they always leave a litre bottle of oil in the car for you to keep for top ups which will be the standard for you vehicle (same as they used in the service). I find this a nice touch but as I've never had to top up any of our cars I have quite a few of these now in different standards from my mk3 Octavia VRS, the wife's old Citigo and her current Fabia Monte Carlo.

I used to maintain all sorts of machinery and phoning to find out

which oil or grease was in vogue and the correct spec. was an

almost monthly chore. Planned maintenance sheets were always

having to be reprinted.

As said just make sure the spec. is the same or better.

Hi CumbrianYeti, yes, it was Border Cars. They are nearer than Telfords.

My previous Yeti always ran Castrol Edge, and only once needed any oil added in between services (during an extremely hot and fast continental run) in over 50k miles, so as that is the recommended manufacturer I would like to continue to use their oil if possible.

I realise many companies may make oil to the correct VAG spec, and I will use different oil if forced, I would prefer not to vary from Castrol Edge as long as it isn't too inconvenient.

Also it would be nice if the handbook contained a section detailing advice on viscosity recommendations, I guess 5w-30 is the norm?

Yes, it's nice to use the manufacturer's specified oil (whatever is their current choice) but you are really in the hands of the dealer as to what they choose.

I have Triumph motorbikes and they have changed their "chosen" oil over the years, Shell, Mobil etc.

To be honest few of use really use our vehicles that hard and any good quality oil of the correct spec is more than up to the job.

Also it would be nice if the handbook contained a section detailing advice on viscosity recommendations, I guess 5w-30 is the norm?

The problem is as soon as something is printed it's potentially out of date. If Skoda decided to change the grade or spec of oil then you could be using the unapproved oil. This is why all tech specs of all fluids and service information is accessed online from Skoda directly by your retailer.

I appreciate the problem of keeping up to date in a changing world but if 5w-30 is the recommended oil for the 2.0 CR engine for use in temperate climates like the UK ( for example) when it is introduced, it is likely to remain that way until that engine is upgraded. If the handbook doesn't contain that info then what is there to stop someone putting something that meets VW 507.00 ( or whatever) but is eg 20w-50 in their car? It may not do great harm but it may not be correct, and what happens when there is a warranty claim - say for prematurely worn big end bearings?

I tend to use the oil manufacturers web-sites for finding out the correct oil to use.

The dealer's invoice doesn't always clearly tell you what oil has been used. My Audi (haven't had the Yeti serviced yet) had Castrol xxxx (can't remember the suffix) listed but I couldn't find it listed on the Castrol web-site.

Because they buy in bulk I'm guessing it is called something different from what we can buy?

Edited by VAGCF

Until recently the only viscosity available in 504 00/507 00 specification was 5W-30. You can now also get it in 0W-30. Either is fine so long as they carry that specification (and this is what you must use for a diesel or for a petrol engine on variable servicing).

The specs haven't changed. As stated above, dealers can make their own deals as they are usually franchises, not owned or controlled by the OEM they represent. The OEM recommendation on the oil does make an easier sell though (as demonstrated by OP).

I appreciate the problem of keeping up to date in a changing world but if 5w-30 is the recommended oil for the 2.0 CR engine for use in temperate climates like the UK ( for example) when it is introduced, it is likely to remain that way until that engine is upgraded. If the handbook doesn't contain that info then what is there to stop someone putting something that meets VW 507.00 ( or whatever) but is eg 20w-50 in their car? It may not do great harm but it may not be correct, and what happens when there is a warranty claim - say for prematurely worn big end bearings?

I suspect that part of the specification that constitutes VW 507.00 is that the oil viscosity at various temperatures fits within a fairly narrow band of the 'traditional' Nw-NN values; so a 20w-50 oil wouldn't meet 507.00.  In other words, if it meets the 507.00 (or whatever) VW spec then it will have correct viscosity parameters.

I accept what you say but I would like to know what viscosity I am using.

When I bought my last one for my previous Yeti I could decide which of those detailed in the handbook I bought after due consideration of the sort of use I was going to subject the car to.

As an aside, I find it difficult to believe that the same viscosity of oil is specified for use in, say, India and also in Finland/Russia which will both have to meet 507.00.

Thanks Wino, very informative. It seems as if time goes on it's only people like you who have the knowledge/take time to research and inform others that you are the only way for the rest of us to learn. It's a shame the manufacturers don't still give us the info like they used to.

Many thanks all.

Great bit of info there Wino.

Cumbrian28, a bit like yourself I wasn't too impressed when I realised Border had used the shell oil when for some reason, rightly or wrongly, I too had expected Castrol. However after a bit of research and reading reviews on the Shell oil at the time (the particular one used in my VRS) it seemed it was very good stuff which was highly rated and after 2 years and around 20k running with it in it has been faultless. The car is due a service now but is getting traded in in the next week or so but even now if I take out the dipstick the oil feels 'good', not 'thin & worn' like you might expect from a car due service.

I would be more than happy continue to see the Shell in my motors going forward and as they give you a litre of oil for top ups there's not even any issues (more of an OCD thing with me) with having to mix oils if a top up is needed.

Thinner oils carry heat away more effectively and flow faster on cold starts eg Porsche use 0W-40.......not cheap though.

To counter that, Bugatti and Koenigsegg use 10W-60! Plenty of heat there.

I'm sure that the Shell oil is excellent stuff, I just don't want to mix oils.

By chance today I was in Wilkos and browsed their oils, shock horror, it is to 507.00 spec! However as I only want 1 litre I put the large container down and picked up the 1 litre bottle of the same viscosity and identical appearance. Walking down the aisle I looked on the back and lo and behold - NOT the same spec!! Moral of the story, read the small print!

To counter that, Bugatti and Koenigsegg use 10W-60! Plenty of heat there.

At $20,000.00 for an oil change I suspect their technology is a tad different to the average Joe's wheels which need an oil that can do all in one small package over potentially 32,000 kms.