Has the oil spec changed?

Cumbrian28

I appreciate the problem of keeping up to date in a changing world but if 5w-30 is the recommended oil for the 2.0 CR engine for use in temperate climates like the UK ( for example) when it is introduced, it is likely to remain that way until that engine is upgraded. If the handbook doesn't contain that info then what is there to stop someone putting something that meets VW 507.00 ( or whatever) but is eg 20w-50 in their car? It may not do great harm but it may not be correct, and what happens when there is a warranty claim - say for prematurely worn big end bearings?

You are confusing viscosity with a manufacturer's oil specification.

If VAG say to use 507.00 then the viscosity is irrelevant providing the oil used has been approved as meeting the 507.00 spec by VAG.

If you really feel strongly about the brand of oil then you have the option to supply your own when getting the vehicle serviced.

BTW:  The sticker under the bonnet that says "Brand X recommended" is basically an advertisement and simply reflects who won the oil supply contract for that factory in that year.

Ours use 0W-30 and there is also 0W-20......below that you'd think dieselene would almost do.

It's the CO2 figure driving this ever thinning oil.

At $20,000.00 for an oil change I suspect their technology is a tad different to the average Joe's wheels which need an oil that can do all in one small package over potentially 32,000 kms.

You'd be surprised. That big cost is not due to the oil (although it IS a good oil).

Ours use 0W-30 and there is also 0W-20......below that you'd think dieselene would almost do.

It's the CO2 figure driving this ever thinning oil.

You can't use a 0W-20 in a VAG diesel that requires 507 00. There is a new VAG specification (508 00/509 00) but this is for new engine designs and is not backwards compatible.

You'd be surprised. That big cost is not due to the oil (although it IS a good oil).

A gold foil lined engine bay and a sheikh giving it a good hiding in the UAE summer desert would need something exceedingly special I would think if only to avoid it boiling off.

You can't use a 0W-20 in a VAG diesel that requires 507 00. There is a new VAG specification (508 00/509 00) but this is for new engine designs and is not backwards compatible.

Obviously not but there's a trend driven by CO2 emissions we're all slaves to.

A gold foil lined engine bay and a sheikh giving it a good hiding in the UAE summer desert would need something exceedingly special I would think if only to avoid it boiling off.

Like I said, it is a good oil and does have a very low Noack volatility (something around 5% from memory) but it is not unique to the Veyron. Plus, the Veyron is not the benchmark engine it used to be... the Koenigsegg One:1 makes more power from a smaller unit and has nearly double the BMEP.

Like I said, it is a good oil and does have a very low Noack volatility (something around 5% from memory) but it is not unique to the Veyron. Plus, the Veyron is not the benchmark engine it used to be... the Koenigsegg One:1 makes more power from a smaller unit and has nearly double the BMEP.

Yeah!

Who'd want a 'mere' Veyron?.

I'm sure that the Shell oil is excellent stuff, I just don't want to mix oils.

By chance today I was in Wilkos and browsed their oils, shock horror, it is to 507.00 spec! However as I only want 1 litre I put the large container down and picked up the 1 litre bottle of the same viscosity and identical appearance. Walking down the aisle I looked on the back and lo and behold - NOT the same spec!! Moral of the story, read the small print!

If all you need is 1ltr of Castrol then you can have the bottle in my boot, it's Castrol Edge Professional, Long Life III 5W-30, 504 00 / 507 00.

If you are over on the West Coast let me know and you're welcome to it.

• Like 1

A very generous offer CumbrianYeti, yes I am in West Cumbria, but I am sorted now thanks.

Just for info, some Asda stores sell the Castrol oils - don't know about in Cumbria though.

Again, many thanks for your offer.

If in doubt you can always go to Opie Oils web site http://www.opieoils.co.uk/vehicle-lookup.aspx?  and look up you car's specific requirement.

Faster, easier and more likely to lead you to the right choice IMO, than ploughing through the owner's manual for an answer that is not in there. Manuals today seem to cater for a different kind of owner than they did 25 years ago?  

• Like 1

Perfect.

Good stuff that Quantum range. Used to know who produced it...but it may have changed. But I do know who was the driving force for the packages/label designs. He's a really nice bloke.