17" alloys on a greenline

agh321

I've taken my Micheln 205 55 16 energy X off my greenline

And replaced with origami Michelin 225 50 17 cross climate

and can honestly say it's like riding in an Audi it is now so quiet and smooth

I wouldn't have believed it Totally differant car

No need for sound proofing just fit these tyres and see for your self

Have to see on mpg now was 55mpg so I'll report back

I fitted the 16" Cross Climates several months ago and the reduction in tyre noise was one of the immediate things I noticed. I suspect it is this rather than going from 16" to 17" wheels that has made the difference in terms of noise. (The down side of the change in wheel might be cost - when I bought my tyres the 17" tyre was around £30 dearer than the 16" although this may have changed by now).  Based on brim-to-brim fills the Cross Climate are routinely returning around 2mpg better fuel consumption than their predecessors. Their grip in the wet I find excellent and so far no noticeable sign of tyre wear. So for once the facts seem to live up to the promises.

The overall rolling circumference of the wheels and tyres is almost the same, so that doesn't apply.

he appears to have fitted 225/50r17, not 45 series.  The 50 series are a fair bit taller than a 205/55r16.  Even the 225/45r17 is a beezdik bigger.  Been there, done that with all 3 sizes. 

I can't see the size making a huge difference to noise though

When changing the wheels over I did notice the new 17" are apx 1" bigger than the old 16" they do look big in the wheel arches

And my speedo is bang on now attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice alloys!  Mine are due for changing soon so will take a look at the Cross Climates.   Running some Continentals at the moment on 16" moon's that came with the Yeti.  They do seem noisy tbh.

Random one but do you think a slightly larger tyre could have an impact on road noise? Moving from a 215/60/16  to a 216/65/16? 

Slightly more ground clearance and fill those mega arches slightly :)

The Cross climates come out at £88.99 all in.  With our current climate they seem like a great step-up.  Good find :)

Is this the tread pattern you have?

michelin_crossclimate.jpg

Edited by TD5

Are you mad? I'd never get insurance on a Yeti, my insurance company thinks I'm bezzing around in a 1983 Fiat Panda... 

• Like 2

I hope all those fitting a non-standard, non-approved sized tyre are informing their insurance companies. 

225/50 R17 are a Yeti approved size as per the manual.

Image4_zpsvlyua5wy.jpg

he appears to have fitted 225/50r17, not 45 series.  The 50 series are a fair bit taller than a 205/55r16.  Even the 225/45r17 is a beezdik bigger.  Been there, done that with all 3 sizes. 

I can't see the size making a huge difference to noise though

You can't compare an old tyre with a new one to start with when comparing noise, and a 16" version would be equally quiet surely.

The other aspect is ride quality, it depends on your personal priority as to which is most important.