Columbus issue with Samsung Galaxy?

Picked up my car on Friday and salesman kindly connected my phone for me as I'm not too au fait with this procedure, however every time I start the car all my contacts are 'deleted' from my phone, it also shows phone numbers for received texts where previously it showed names?

If I switch car off phone reverts back to 'normal' after a reboot?

I hope I have explained my dilemma correctly, any advice appreciated, by the way I still love the car.

Regards, John.

I can`t think whats going on with your phone but since upgrading my Note 4 to Marshmallow 6.01 I`ve had problems too. The phone will connect fine, contacts are imported to the Columbus but when I`m taking a call I will be disconnected after a few seconds. So, maybe if you have the latest version of Android that`s what is causing the problem

I can`t think whats going on with your phone but since upgrading my Note 4 to Marshmallow 6.01 I`ve had problems too. The phone will connect fine, contacts are imported to the Columbus but when I`m taking a call I will be disconnected after a few seconds. So, maybe if you have the latest version of Android that`s what is causing the problem

Thanks ashfan, I was wondering whether I should disconnect and go back to the beginning, i.e. see if I can set it up myself?

For starters, which Samsung Galaxy is it? Galaxy is basically a brand name at this point, with many models. Any idea which bluetooth module you have? What bluetooth protocol did the dealer use to connect your phone?

• Like 1

For starters, which Samsung Galaxy is it? Galaxy is basically a brand name at this point, with many models. Any idea which bluetooth module you have? What bluetooth protocol did the dealer use to connect your phone?

Thank you chimaera, it's a Galaxy Android A3, not sure about Bluetooth protocol the dealer used?

Ok, so that phone supports the latest Bluetooth functionality which means the issue is probably on the car. What year is the car? There are different versions of the bluetooth module fitted depending on year and trim level.

In the bluetooth setup menu you want to look for an option HFP or Handsfree Protocol. This is the most common way to connect a phone to the car. The other option, rSAP, effectively disconnects your SIM card from the phone and connects it to a GSM transeiver in the car. This could be how your phone is connected and the phone may be having a fit when it is disconnected from the car.

• Like 1

Ok, so that phone supports the latest Bluetooth functionality which means the issue is probably on the car. What year is the car? There are different versions of the bluetooth module fitted depending on year and trim level.

In the bluetooth setup menu you want to look for an option HFP or Handsfree Protocol. This is the most common way to connect a phone to the car. The other option, rSAP, effectively disconnects your SIM card from the phone and connects it to a GSM transeiver in the car. This could be how your phone is connected and the phone may be having a fit when it is disconnected from the car.

Hi chimaera, car is 2011 Elegance TDi. When you say 'In the bluetooth setup menu you want to look for an option HFP or Handsfree Protocol.' is that on the phone? Thanks for taking the time to assist.

Edited by omnipeta

Hi chimaera, car is 2011 Elegance TDi. When you say 'In the bluetooth setup menu you want to look for an option HFP or Handsfree Protocol.' is that on the phone? Thanks for taking the time to assist.

No, on the setup menu in the car on the MFD. Basically, telling the car how to talk to the phone.

• Like 1

No, on the setup menu in the car on the MFD. Basically, telling the car how to talk to the phone.

Thank you, will give it a go tomorrow :-)

As far as I can remember my 2011 elegance TDI didn't give the option to choose between rSAP and HFP when I connected and presumably chose HFP without telling me. This might be because my Motorola G won't support rSAP, but it may not be available on the 2011 model's bluetooth. I can't for example read text messages on the Columbus, but I do get an address book and a list of dialled/received/missed calls.

• Like 1

As far as I can remember my 2011 elegance TDI didn't give the option to choose between rSAP and HFP when I connected and presumably chose HFP without telling me. This might be because my Motorola G won't support rSAP, but it may not be available on the 2011 model's bluetooth. I can't for example read text messages on the Columbus, but I do get an address book and a list of dialled/received/missed calls.

Thank you for taking the time to assist, much appreciated.

Well men, I've tried to follow your instructions but to no avail. I've gone into Columbus, set up etc but cannot find eithet HFP or rSAP? I've disconnected phone which is annoying as 'hands free' is really helpful, I thought with a 2011 car this would be simple?

People who know me appear to think I'm reasonbly intelligent :-) but this has got me stumped!

Thank you for all your advice.

Edited by omnipeta

I have got a Samsung A3 and the and the Bluetooth Control Unit kept disconnecting from the phone, I took it to the dealers they looked at it and found the fault to be the Bluetooth Control Unit. I bought a new unit and I have not had any trouble since. That was in January 2015.  

• 1 month later...

I have a Galaxy Note 4 and just recently started to get an issue with calls dropping out after a few minutes. I can't be sure if it's an issue with the phone or with the Bluetooth module in the car. Does anyone know how I could test this? It works fine when streaming audio from my phone.