Fabia 1.4 16V AUB battery charging relay

Is there such thing as a battery charging relay ? When I switch on the ignition, I can hear a 'clank' which sounds like a short or a bad relay. The red battery light is on when the ignition is on and it gets away once the engine has started. After driving the car for a while (lets say after it warms up), the power steering alert gets on and the red battery as well. I haven't got time to scan it, but I might do it later. The alternator is brand new .. according to the previous owner (no service history though). The battery is also new. We had some really nasty rainy days and maybe some water got where it shouldn't have ? 

Has anybody encountered this kind of problem before ?

Later edit: if it makes any difference, the car does have AC and parking heater as well. I checked the battery charging last night, the multimeter was showing 13.8 with the low beams on and 13.79 with low beams ac on and fan blower on 2nd speed.

Edited by Alexandru

I found a blown fuse under the battery cover, 60Amps. The 3rd one. All seems to be good now. Why ECU didn't say anything about it ?

Edited by Alexandru
  • Like 1

Now you should try to find out why/if your alternator (really) is underperforming.

See if you can measure the output voltage right at the output post of the alternator - the M8 stud that the cable bolts to, relative to the body of the alternator.  This removes all the lead and connection resistances that may be concealing the reality of what the alternator is doing. It can only work with what it senses locally, on its output and its body. (Mind you don't short things out with your meter probes when attempting this)

When you measured the 13.8, was that warmed-up or from a cold start?

Edited by Wino

The alternator has been serviced, diodes, charging relay and the brushes have been replaced with brand new ones. The measurements have been done at the battery terminals with cold and hot engine as well.

Last year, or the year before, I bought a new aftermarket (cheap!) alternator for my Golf. It gave only about 13.6 volts. I took it back for a replacement. I swapped them in the carpark of the parts shop so I could measure the output (at the alternator) there and then, this time slightly better at 13.8 but I wasn't happy. After a long discussion with one or two of their employees, I gave up on getting a 'good' alternator from them and just decided to see how it went. 

After a couple of months of not being happy with the battery's state of charge, I bought a replacement voltage regulator off ebay for £10 or £15, fitted it, and then had the 14.3-ish volts I was looking for. No more battery issues after that.

Do the measurement suggested as a first step though, there may be nothing wrong with the alternator.

• Like 1

PAS related question, but offtopic: is there any logic in fact that steering feels heavier after somebody else drives the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:no:

• Like 1

Nope...it really feels a bit harder after somebody else drives the car. It isn't just me! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's a bit superstitious where you live but think about what you're saying, there is no physical mechanism for what you describe, therefore it is just you because it has to be.