Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive Tyres

gumdrop

I have just read a query, where a chap ordered tyres from Black Circles and was

told they only had Left Hand Drive Tyres in stock, no Right Hand Drive stock.

Needless to say the man was confused, I am aware that some tyres are "handed"

and should be fitted as marked but clearly the suppliers were confused. Or were they?

What a load of  *******s .......You dont need backwards tyres to go in reverse ?? & do Australians have to order  upsidedown tyres ??? Is it April the 1st ???I've owned a rew LHD Yanks &  bought & fitted UK tyres ..... DOH>>>

Surely what he was after were 'Directional tyres' which were also asymmetric and they only had ones to suit the passenger side of a right hand drive car.

None available to fit the drivers side.

Or they were coc-king things up.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Directional or not they can be fitted to any side of the car! You just can't swap them around once on the wheel as that would change the direction.

Directional and asymmetric tyres are pretty rare but can only be fitted to one side of a vehicle.

If a tyre is directional and symmetric or non-directional, it can be used on either side.

Edited by langers2k

So, for clarity as I understand it:-

Asymmetric tyres - may be fitted to either side as long as the 'Outside' marking is adhered to.

Directional tyres - may be fitted to either side as long as the 'Direction of Rotation' marking is adhered to ( ie will need to be changed from rim to rim if swapping sides)

Asymmetric AND Directional - can only be fitted to one side.

As many tyres are now directional or asymmetric ( and some both) the advice from many car manufacturers on swapping round tyres to even out wear is to swap front to back (and vice versa ) ON THE SAME SIDE.

• Like 1

So, for clarity as I understand it:-

Asymmetric tyres - may be fitted to either side as long as the 'Outside' marking is adhered to.

Directional tyres - may be fitted to either side as long as the 'Direction of Rotation' marking is adhered to ( ie will need to be changed from rim to rim if swapping sides)

Asymmetric AND Directional - can only be fitted to one side.

As many tyres are now directional or asymmetric ( and some both) the advice from many car manufacturers on swapping round tyres to even out wear is to swap front to back (and vice versa ) ON THE SAME SIDE.

But non of the above would be marked LHD or RHD as per the original post.

But non of the above would be marked LHD or RHD as per the original post.

Exactly so.

I suspect a misunderstanding by the OP or the tyre supplier ( most likely!).

Asymmetric (sometimes called non-directional) tyres usually have 'Outside' and 'Inside' stamped on the wall of the tyre.

This tells the tyre fitter which way the tyre must be fitted onto the wheel.

Once fitted correctly onto the wheel, that tyre/wheel can be legally fitted to any corner of the car.

If the tyre is 'Directional' the tyre rotation will be stamped onto the wall of the tyre.

This will tell tell the tyre fitter which way around the tyre must be fitted onto the wheel.

Once this tyre is fitted to the wheel it must comply the wheel/ tyre rotation will be a driving forward motion only.

So once tyre is fitted, the tyre of this nature can only move in one driving direction, either on the 'offside' or nearside only, but not both..

Edited by giandougl

When I started to read this post, I thought it was a wind up. Seemingly it's not.

I understand the part about 'directional' because of the tread pattern,

the rest is way over my head.

Thanks for teaching me something I knew nothing about.

Rightly or wrongly, I trust the garage I've been using for over 20 years.

They understand my wants/needs and always answer any questions I have.

• Like 1

I think what's confusing here is the word "Drive".

I can understand tyres to be fitted to Left Hand (nearside) and Right Hand (offside) wheels but as far as I am aware the word "Drive" should not have appeared.
It does not matter at all what side of the road the car is driven on.

• Like 1

If that is directed at me, i just put up the link, they did their website.

see post #3 i know the spelling.  & how to fit tyres.

That was me trying to put up a working link you shared that brought up a "404 page not found error" as you know because you went in and edited it.

What's spelling and knowing how to fit tyres got to do with it?

• Like 1