One extreme of Yeti to the other: 1.2 DSG to 170 DSG

Zib

Excellent review and mirrors exactly our findings too.

I also think you are feeling the difference between the 7 speed dry clutch and 6 speed wet clutch dsg gearboxes. The 7 speed box is much crisper at low speed.

I've already said on the forum my ideal Yeti would be a 1.4tsi DSG SE/SEL 2wd.

Lee

• Like 1

Great review, having come from a FL 110TDI 2wd Elegance to a 1.4 L&K, I couldn't agree more with you that a 2wd, 1.4 DSG with choice of spec is the missing choice in the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Falmouthboy

Excellent review zib. I too changed from 1.2 dsg yeti to a 170 yeti, however I went for manual gearbox.

I enjoyed the dsg very much however had a bad experience with reliability of the gearbox and lost confidence.

Appreciate issues with earlier dsg on 1.2 have been resolved and understand dsg on tdi was not affected by the same issues.

On the whole do not regret changing cars. Love the torque offered by the 170 and having instant power from low revs, well, from around 1800 rpm at least.

Would consider a stage 1 remap however am concerned about long term reliability, insurance cost.

Thanks again for the review.

I have a 170 yeti with a remap and it improves the car as you would expect worth the investment and stick to the well known brands 30,000+ and its not missed a beat by far one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Replies in-line.

Performance

However, once it gets going and the turbo is on boost, the performance is nicely grin-inducing.  Where the TSI would spin its front wheels, the TDI just gets on with moving, although I’d be interested to determine how much of this is just down to the better traction of the heavier engine.  Previously, we’d had a 170 DSG VW Passat, only two-wheel drive, and this rarely spun its wheels. 

The 170 can spin its wheels quite easily when the Haldex isn't working! Though it does require a good bit of throttle. It seemed a bit less inclined to do so than my old 2WD Octavia estate, so I think engine weight has something to do with it.

Economy

The fuel consumption on the trip computer of the TSI was about 2% optimistic, whereas on the TDI, it appears about 10% optimistic.  If anyone knows if this can be adjusted, please do tell me.

This can be done via VCDS. My 170 was at least 10% optimistic, but now reads within 0.5 mpg of the brim to brim figure every time.

Overall

I don’t think our ideal Yeti is sold in the UK, though.  Reflecting on these experiences and with choice unconstrained by Skoda UK, I suspect we’d choose a 1.4 TSI DSG, probably with 2WD, and definitely not in the L&K trim.

Likewise, though I'd go for an SE L 1.4 DSG with 4x4. I'm still happy with my 170, (now just a few miles off 50K and just over 4 years old), so no plans to change for a while.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you folks in the UK don't get the 1.4l 2wd. We've got it over here in Australia. I've had mine for about 3 months now and quite enjoy it. Averaging about 7.5l/100km at the moment.

I wonder if recent developments will have a knock-on effect re choice and supply.

Will the UK be penalised intentionally or as a consequence?.

The fallout from dieselgate and the fact that the Transport Minister has said the Taxation on diesels will need to change will see a move in the market towards petrol.

Skoda UK will have to meet that changing demand or loose sales to other manufacturers.

As for Brexit, BMW, VAG and Merc have already petitioned Merkel to ensure sales to the UK are not affected by tariffs. We are a massive market for the German brands.

What may affect prices is a weaker pound but we wont know for some time how that will settle.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

The fallout from dieselgate and the fact that the Transport Minister has said the Taxation on diesels will need to change will see a move in the market towards petrol.

Skoda UK will have to meet that changing demand or loose sales to other manufacturers.

It's interesting you mention that. Due to dieselgate, the Yeti TDI models were withdrawn from the Australian market. We now only have the 1.2 (in manual and DSG) and 1.4 DSG. All 2WD.

Excellent review and mirrors exactly our findings too.

I also think you are feeling the difference between the 7 speed dry clutch and 6 speed wet clutch dsg gearboxes. The 7 speed box is much crisper at low speed.

I've already said on the forum my ideal Yeti would be a 1.4tsi DSG SE/SEL 2wd.

Lee

That could well be the case, although we never noticed it when we owned both 6-speed wet clutch (VW Passat) and 7-speed dry clutch (Yeti 1.2) at the same time.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks, dbg400, for mentioning that VCDS can be used to adjust the trip computer's fuel consumption accuracy.

As for Brexit, BMW, VAG and Merc have already petitioned Merkel to ensure sales to the UK are not affected by tariffs. We are a massive market for the German brands.

What may affect prices is a weaker pound but we wont know for some time how that will settle.

Lee

My thoughts as well.

In addition to the value of the pound I'm wondering as well if folks will be more inclined to look at buying British built cars rather than German etc?

My thoughts as well.

In addition to the value of the pound I'm wondering as well if folks will be more inclined to look at buying British built cars rather than German etc?

Maybe Land Rovers will become more affordable out here.

(Brexit and Airbus manufacturing in the UK will be interesting also.....bit OT though)

If you want a British built car you need to be quick. Sunderland the British base of Nissan in Europe voted to leave the EU-so how long will a Nissan be a British built option?

If you want a British built car you need to be quick. Sunderland the British base of Nissan in Europe voted to leave the EU-so how long will a Nissan be a British built option?

The Pound to Peso might work out after all.......they'll be looking for cheap labour. (((

Can we now get back to mpg and fuel pumps with price per gallon at last,this should be a priority.

The the three countries in the world that haven't adopted the metrics system -

Liberia

Myenmar

U.S.A. (it was only globalisation, with U.S. bourses integration, that resulted in securities no longer be offered for 13/64ths of a dollar on their exchanges........a rocket booster failed because the specs were international metric but the manufacturer used imperial)

Join the club?.

Seriously OT!

Edited by Ryeman

The the three countries in the world that haven't adopted the metrics system -

Liberia

Myenmar

U.S.A. (it was only globalisation, with U.S. bourses integration, that resulted in securities no longer be offered for 13/64ths of a dollar on their exchanges........a rocket booster failed because the specs were international metric but the manufacturer used imperial)

Join the club?.

Seriously OT!

And the USA dont even use proper gallons ;)

• Like 1

Thanks, dbg400, for mentioning that VCDS can be used to adjust the trip computer's fuel consumption accuracy.

Excuse my ignorance,but what is VCDS please?