Brexit's effect on UK science

Ryeman

What about Farming?

Is there going to be a glut of low-mileage Range Rovers on the Market?

At the annual Cereals conference round our way there are more farmers driving their flashy "Sunday" 4x4's than I've ever seen anywhere else (including on the pavement outside posh schools :) )

Edited by camelspyyder

Research is an easy target for cuts even if it's shortsighted.

The UK has never been good at taking good research and making profitable enterprises from it. They'd rather do things on a shoestring and if any breakthroughs do happen tax it to oblivion or sell it to the USA for a quick buck.

Strange times

Trump COULD be elected.........grumpy old people

Apparently scientists can't be trusted anymore.......in Australia grumpy old people

Britain leaves the EU......grumpy old people

One world government conspiracy.........grumpy old people

What a weird world

Research is an easy target for cuts even if it's shortsighted.

The UK has never been good at taking good research and making profitable enterprises from it. They'd rather do things on a shoestring and if any breakthroughs do happen tax it to oblivion or sell it to the USA for a quick buck.

Australia has invented many things but I can't recall anything being financed and marketed here.

It's almost every time bought out by Americans due to lack of local finance, and scientists leave as well.

Strange times

Trump COULD be elected.........grumpy old people

Apparently scientists can't be trusted anymore.......in Australia grumpy old people

Britain leaves the EU......grumpy old people

One world government conspiracy.........grumpy old people

What a weird world

Grumpy old people bother to vote, so governments pander to them and they get their own way.

I've seen a few graphs that have shown that of the 18-24 demographic voted in the same % numbers as the 50+ then we wouldn't be exiting the EU.

However now they are screaming that they are hard done by and their voice wasn't heard. Too late.

Firing up 'your' supporters and making them angry in order to get them to vote has its consequences; eg the U.S.

I may be inconvenient occasionally, but compulsory preferential voting has it's benefits also.