Road noise and handling?

I have. Company car up for renewal and am considering a vRS TDCI. I previously owned privately a Mk1 SLXi Turbo. For the new one I was considering the Black Pack Plus with the nice looking 19"s. However, bigger wheels tend to spoil the ride. I've been out in the local dealer's car for an hour and had a lease demo for a weekend. Both were on 18"s and felt OK. Sounded not too bad too, other than several times when it sounded like wind hammer you get with a window open only they weren't. Didn't notice this in the dealer car, but did in the other demo.

Is this common or random. I've read many a review criticising the road noise, but didn't find the two cars any worse than the B-class Mercedes I'm currently running.

Anyone else noticed this hammering and/or has the 19s and would car to comment on ride/noise?

Road surface and the tyres make more of a difference than being 18s or 19s in my personal experience.

Can't say that the 19's on my are bad. Though both myself and other half noticed a difference on the UniRoyal RS3's tyre to that of the standard fitted tyres. The RS3's are quieter.

We have a vrs tdi estate with the black pack plus, in all honesty I don't think think the ride is that bad and regarding road noise my car has been parked up for the last 8 weeks (knee op) so I've been using the wife's vrs mostly, going up the motorway at 80mph in my a45 amg is a much more noisier experience than in the vrs, tyre wise ours still has the Pirellis that came when new

I have a company car up for renewal and am considering a vRS TDCI. I previously owned privately a Mk1 SLXi Turbo. For the new one I was considering the Black Pack Plus with the nice looking 19"s. However, bigger wheels tend to spoil the ride. I've been out in the local dealer's car for an hour and had a lease demo for a weekend. Both were on 18"s and felt OK. Sounded not too bad too, other than several times when it sounded like wind hammer you get with a window open only they weren't. Didn't notice this in the dealer car, but did in the other demo.

Is this common or random. I've read many a review criticising the road noise, but didn't find the two cars any worse than the B-class Mercedes I'm currently running.

Anyone else noticed this hammering and/or has the 19s and would car to comment on ride/noise?

I have the 19" wheels and must admit it seems quieter than my old Passat Sport (12 plate). I haven't heard any hammering noise - except the wind when the kids play with the windows! I've hit a few bigger holes in the road this past week and it was jarring, but overall I'm really impressed.

In fairness the 18" wheels look really cool too, so maybe see if you can test drive one with 19" wheels. Noise will be mostly down to with personal perception. I must admit I also tend to have my canton blaring out music too, so that may stifle some road noise [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should read the thread "booming in cabin" for information about the wind hammer noise you mentioned.

It is a long standing issue, affecting the O3 since launch with no concrete solution offered by Skoda so far.

It only affects some cars but there seems no logic regarding hatch/estate, wheel size, trim level or model.

There are several DIY fixes like adding a boot liner, spare wheel or adjusting the boot stops but none seem a 100% fix & none fix all cars.

I've had my TDi VRS for 17 months now, and honestly, the road noise as others have said, relates to road surface and tyre type. Never did have the booming noise some people get. Possibly because I have a full size alloy spare wheel in the boot, and boot liner which is a substantial chunk of rubber.. 

As above really. Had the car 7 weeks and done 6k miles and all is okay - apart from the dire fuel consumption..... Was REALLY concerned about the wind hammer/booming that some mentioned but I have never experienced it but I do have a spare wheel, variable boot floor with a liner on it. Ride quality on the 19's is generally good, can be noisy on some bad surfaces, eg. concrete, but I really dont think its much different for any car in the same price bracket. Due to the amount of miles I do, I will not be using any premium tyres, it will be craposheeto ching chong specials at £50 each, so it will be interesting if they are better or worse than the P Zero's.

Edited by cherry evo

Hi have a Vrs on 19's, when I originally drove this demo car I noticed a drumming noise at speed but not excessive, I brought the demostrater that I drove but had a spare wheel fitted I haven't heard the noise since.

Just watch out for road tax increase if you go with bigger wheels as it can change it.

I have done 13,000 miles so far and would agree some road surfaces are worse than others.

You should read the thread "booming in cabin" for information about the wind hammer noise you mentioned.

It is a long standing issue, affecting the O3 since launch with no concrete solution offered by Skoda so far.

Thanks Gabbo. That has kept me entertained. I did skip a few pages in the middle, but it appears that there is still nothing resolved and it's a complete lottery whether or not your car will exhibit the signs.

It was a little intrusive over a long weekend's demo and could prove a major annoyance once stuck with a car for four years. I'm wondering if I might have to forego the space and plump for the Focus ST3 instead.

Edited by Me-109

Thanks Gabbo. That has kept me entertained. I did skip a few pages in the middle, but it appears that there is still nothing resolved and it's a complete lottery whether or not your car will exhibit the signs.

It was a little intrusive over a long weekend's demo and could prove a major annoyance once stuck with a car for four years. I'm wondering if I might have to forego the space and plump for the Focus ST3 instead.

Focus ST3 estate maybe?

Yes the booming and lack of better refinement spoils the Octavia. It cant hide its budget roots.

Maybe Skoda should supply earplugs and paracetamol for long journeys...lol

Edited by glosrich

It is a very long thread & strange that there isn't a definative fix from Skoda.

This is probably the one thing which lets down an excellent car for the price.

However, it does affect a very small number of cars relatively & provided you discuss this with your dealer (that you wont accept a car with this behaviour) I wouldn't let it put you off choosing an Octavia.

There are many many happy customers which is perhaps not always reflected in these kinds of forums.

Focus is nice if you dont need the space. Went to look at one, rear seat legroom is non existent unless you're about 5ft tall in the front to have the seat forward (I'm 6ft)! Also, no option for a tow hitch due to the central exhaust. 

• Like 1

No booming or such so far. Vrs230. Spare wheel and flexible boot floor. But not as good sound insulation as Audi. Think its a good car. Looked at Focus ST myself. Awful dashboard layout. No towhitch. Those things put me of and on to the 230.

Edited by KjetilRos

I haven't looked at the new ST Focus but one of the big things that put my off the last model was the lack of cruise control with the "sports steering Wheel".

You couldn't even fit a 5 spoke Wheel with cruise as an option.

For the powertrain lineup & the space for passengers & luggage you can't go wrong with an Octavia.

In many ways its punching above its weight as car magazines regularly compare it with the Passat, Mondeo & 320 rather than the Golf, Focus & Astra.

As mentioned before I find road noise on certain surfaces can be a pain if it's for long distances. A change of tyres from Contis to Goodyears helped a little.

Cabin boom is something I have never experienced but 90% of the time I have a duvet in the back for the dogs so that might have something to do with it. :)

Now done 2000 miles and there is no change in my feelings about the car. It would be reasonable value without the noise but is extremely annoying with it! I'm not sure if my noise is the same one that many complain about. It starts quite loudly as low as 10mph and then continues with no change in loudness or frequency. It is a haunting mid-range rumbling/humming/singing noise which I cannot escape from.

I have done a complete soundproofing job, plus a 40 quid extra heavy boot mat plus boot lid adjustment and all the other suggested tweaks.

I doubt if it is tyre noise as I assume this

would change with speed. Starts at 10 mph!!!

I may wait until new tyres are due and, if no improvement, the car goes.

Wish I had read Briskoda before buying!

P.S. Don't ever open a rear window at speeds above about 30mph !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will vibrate your head off.