18" wheels and coilovers. issues?

Hi all, ive been reading up a lot about this and so far the majority say there shouldnt be any rubbing.

Im going to get some 18x8 wheels with some 215 40 18 tyres, checked on willtheyfit website and its come back saying the rim will be 9.7mm closer to the strut, and stick out a further 15.7mm over the standard spiders with 205 50 17s. Thats the rim not the tyre though? The problem is i have appox 6mm between my tyre and the adjuster collar, and not a lot of room between the tyre and the plastic inner arch liner, id say no more than 5mm. I know people use these size wheels without issues but with those figures i just cant see how its going to fit. Im wanting to go pretty low, as in the top of the tread just and so level with the arch, if not tucking slighty. Is this doable with having the arches rolled? Any pics of peoples setups would be great. Thanks

Edited by Wattam

Ive seen somewhere that i can remove the helper spring which in turn moves the collar up above the tyre which would solve that problem if needs be. Cant seem to find many 18 x 7.5s though, 8j seems to be the general consensus when it comes to to 18" wheels.

A lot of OE Audi wheels are 7.5 and et 32 which helps.

Mine are 7.5 and et32 with a 215 40 tyre and theres loads of clearance.

Yes, I've seen people remove the helper spring and wind the platform up which then gives more room as long as you don't go too low.

8x18 et35 with 225/40/18 is a widely used combo

It seems to be the estates that get the rear 225 issues mate

I ran 8x20s with 225/30/20 and no issues

U can do alot by tyre choice too

Say a falken or pzero nero , i know they have nice rounded shoulders, some are very blocky and help nothing

Thanks, ive seen some of your setups in the rimfest thread, it was actually that thread that got me started haha. I see you've had a few setups with minimal arch gap which is what im going for, have you had to do anything with the arches at all?

Been looking at the falken 452 or 453, would you reccommend a 215 40 or a 215 35?

Everytime i look at my arches and measure up it just doesnt look like i could fit anything bigger in there... im probably too pessimistic, gonna have to bite the bullet!

Thanks, can see they definately tuck in quite well there, and thats a 215 40 right? Im guessing the stretch on a 35 would be an even more angled curve? Thanks for all the help btw. I appreciate it

Thanks, can see they definately tuck in quite well there, and thats a 215 40 right? Im guessing the stretch on a 35 would be an even more angled curve? Thanks for all the help btw. I appreciate it

Just spoken to the local tyre place, they can get hold of some toyo tyres, not sure which ones forgot to ask, but theyre only £80 fitted a corner at the moment. Anyone have any views on toyos? And more importantly are they going to be the chunky kind that will cause problems? Id take a guess at the being the Toyo T1 sport at that size and price. Thanks

Just spoken to the local tyre place, they can get hold of some toyo tyres, not sure which ones forgot to ask, but theyre only £80 fitted a corner at the moment. Anyone have any views on toyos? And more importantly are they going to be the chunky kind that will cause problems? Id take a guess at the being the Toyo T1 sport at that size and price. Thanks

I run 18 x 8.5 et 35 with coilovers and I've had a couple of problems with clearance

Also running 225-45 18 pirellis which are slightly stretched.

The wheel had about 1-2mm room from the strut and it did touch when the car was on lock so had to put 5mm spacers on

I have now rolled the front arches and they just touch the arch liner when really pushed

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, ive seen some of your setups in the rimfest thread, it was actually that thread that got me started haha. I see you've had a few setups with minimal arch gap which is what im going for, have you had to do anything with the arches at all?

Been looking at the falken 452 or 453, would you reccommend a 215 40 or a 215 35?

Everytime i look at my arches and measure up it just doesnt look like i could fit anything bigger in there... im probably too pessimistic, gonna have to bite the bullet!

Sorry lol i went awol

215/40 isa nice size and a diddy stretch

35 profiles can often make it look like u got the wrong wheels

I run rear camber so can get it down abit nicer, front arches are now rolled but its sat pretty low ( infact it drives me nuts )

• 1 month later...

So finally got round to buying some wheels, after moving house its worked its way back up the priority list. Got some 18" bbs lm reps, et35 8j Fitted with 215 40 18 toyo proxes t1 sport. Got round to fitting them today and I'm having issues. The fronts went on okay, a little close to the brake callipers, 2mm ish clearance, and the same between the tyre and spring platform, arch clearance looks okay so far. Went to fit the rears, and I'm resting on the rear calliper. I've double checked and measured and theyre definitely et35, has anyone else had this problem or is it just me? also I'm guessing the best way to go would be some 5mm spacers?

Thanks in advance