In need of desperate help! URGENT

Hi all I bought my mk2 fl 11plate from Turners of Erlestoke in sailsbury.

Since I have had it it has had to go back on multiple occasions for an engine management light that flickers on and off for around 5 seconds during the starting process.

First time was spark plug, second was coil pack and adjusting injectors. Had it back for a few weeks now and all seemed fine until the engine management light turned on and stuck for a day. Called them and they were quite rude because apparently I used and abused the rental car last time for borrowing it a week extra, even though they called me 5 to 5 on a Friday, telling me it's ready for a sat delivery pickup... I can't get up during the week..

Anyway, I digress... Just on the way home now and I could hear a weird noise, thought it was the car next to me. Worked out it was me, eml started flashing then popped off. The noise sounds like a rattly bearing, almost like a release bearing that's going and can be heard when revving. If you rev, it will come back down slowly, pause at 2k, rattle, then drop down. Oil level is low and the car seems to be getting through it. Luckily, I have the skoda warranty on it, but I don't know what to do,

it sounds f'cked to me? Also, Turners will do it for free, but I have to drive 1.30hours to get there, where as westover are around the corner, but want an £80 diagnostic fee. Can they actually charge that on a car still in warranty?

Sorry if it's jumble, just a little lost.

Who is covering the warranty? Skoda UK or Turners.

I suspect it will be Turners as a second hand car and if this is the case then Westover owe you nothing and it would cost them to find the fault.

Is there anyone near you with diagnostic equipment to try and find the fault, at least to give you a heads up.

If Turners have had it back a few times already then maybe they owe you for the inconvenience?

How long have you had the car ??????????. If not long, is returning it an option?

It's the skoda warranty, the last customer bought the sumer summer warranty for the car directly from skoda and it has 18months? Left. It was the deciding factor to buying the car. Trying to find someone now. My obd2 won't read it which is annoying.

Surely any main Skoda dealer could deal with your issues? I would of thought so anyway although it might be best to phone Skoda uk to confirm. As for your reader, if using it on your phone do try carista if not already. I can highly recommend it. Good luck. Nothing worse than stress dealing with warranty or insurance claims AND a car that refuses to play ball!!

Who is covering the warranty? Skoda UK or Turners.

I suspect it will be Turners as a second hand car and if this is the case then Westover owe you nothing and it would cost them to find the fault.

If it is an approved used Skoda warranty then you can take it to any franchised Skoda retailer.

Westover are simply covering their backs, the £80 fee will be reimbursed if the issue is found to be covered by the warranty. They can't do this though. Assuming they are a Skoda main dealer then there is no diagnostics fee to pay.

Each time the EML comes on a fault code is logged. There should be no reason for Turner's 'trial and error' attitude towards diagnosis.

Time to speak with Skoda UK and ask them to open a case. Any mechanical noises need to be investigated immediately, you certainly shouldn't be driving the car...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

From the OP spark plugs and a coil pack suggests it is the petrol vRS.

A flashing EML on start up and now mechanical noises points towards the common issue with the timing chain to me.

See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

Edited by silver1011

Ok, so I e called Turners, they were pretty wish washy about the whole thing, just said don't drive it. After waiting an hour I was told to call skoda Road side assistance. Currently waiting on them to arrive to look/collect the car. I was looking over the warranty booklet and it says car hire is provided upto 6 days, but not for the first 8 hours? How does that work? post-56735-0-63762900-1467191227_thumb.png

Looking over all of the threads and comparing the details, it would appear that the worst case is the engine is going/gone.

So, where do I stand? If they have to replace the engine, do they replace the turbo? as a 0 miles engine vs a 90k turbo doesn't seem like a match made in heaven and since the only job of the turbo is to work with the engine, in my eyes these have to be matched. Unlike the gearbox which is affected by clutches, harsh use, hitting curbs e.t.c the turbo is directly connected and only works with the engine.

Loss of earnings. Today, chasing Skoda has cost me a day of work, waiting for their service team to make answers, which I have had to chase them for. Can I claim to Skoda UK for loss of earnings?

Since it was Turners who had sent it back to me twice now and said it was fixed, which by the seems of it has lead to this issue. West over want £90 diagnostic fees, can I fire that back to turners to pay? As the trading standards says, after 2 repairs with still a problem on the car, I am well within my right to have a refund or a full repair. So, in my eyes, once again, it is within my rights to ask for them to pay for it.

MODS: When I mention garages, it is not to portrait them in a good or bad light, it is merely to keep a written log of the circumstances, which can be used for fact finding knowledge.

You'd be best just sticking with Turners, you got the car from them. I would try and reject it, they have already tried to fix it twice. Send them a letter, you should be able to claim reasonable consequential losses.

If it is an approved used Skoda warranty then you can take it to any franchised Skoda retailer.

Westover are simply covering their backs,

Hence why I said "if this is the case", before the "then Westover owe you nothing".................... ;) .

Personally wouldn't really want to be leaving the car in the care of Turners, although I do not have all of the facts.

They should have at least offered to collect the car and supply a loaner.

Sometimes you have to tell them what you want / expect, rather than them telling you what they can (or can't) be bothered to do.

Know your rights, decide what you want, and then contact them.

Looking over all of the threads and comparing the details, it would appear that the worst case is the engine is going/gone.

So, where do I stand? If they have to replace the engine, do they replace the turbo? as a 0 miles engine vs a 90k turbo doesn't seem like a match made in heaven and since the only job of the turbo is to work with the engine, in my eyes these have to be matched. Unlike the gearbox which is affected by clutches, harsh use, hitting curbs e.t.c the turbo is directly connected and only works with the engine.

Loss of earnings. Today, chasing Skoda has cost me a day of work, waiting for their service team to make answers, which I have had to chase them for. Can I claim to Skoda UK for loss of earnings?

Since it was Turners who had sent it back to me twice now and said it was fixed, which by the seems of it has lead to this issue. West over want £90 diagnostic fees, can I fire that back to turners to pay? As the trading standards says, after 2 repairs with still a problem on the car, I am well within my right to have a refund or a full repair. So, in my eyes, once again, it is within my rights to ask for them to pay for it.

MODS: When I mention garages, it is not to portrait them in a good or bad light, it is merely to keep a written log of the circumstances, which can be used for fact finding knowledge.

The least I would expect would be a few services FOC including at least one major one.

If you are (?) within your rights to take it back (still unsure how long you've owned it?) then you hold all the cards. Don't be shy of making them aware you know this.

Good luck.

I've looked on the email I sent and before I bought the car I asked if the tensioners were ok and in the email they said their technician said it was fine.

Hence why I said "if this is the case", before the "then Westover owe you nothing".................... ;) .

Personally wouldn't really want to be leaving the car in the care of Turners, although I do not have all of the facts.

They should have at least offered to collect the car and supply a loaner.

Sometimes you have to tell them what you want / expect, rather than them telling you what they can (or can't) be bothered to do.

Know your rights, decide what you want, and then contact them.

What you wrote read to me that Westover shouldn't have to look at the car.

I was suggesting that with it being an approved used car and Westover being a franchised main dealer then they are obliged to.

But the point was that there is no way the OP should be paying either Turners or Westover a diagnostic fee.

Now that Skoda Assist are involved then this won't be an issue.

Ok, so westover are saying there is defiance damage to the cams and they're still investigating it further as the fault codes gave back a ten page job list. They said it may just be a head replacement, I don't want that. Am I within my rights to push for a new engine?

The noise you heard we're the pistons hitting the valves, so, when mine let go, all the valves we bent and the head was scored. Its very unlikely just a head as what he the head will be damaged etc. etc... I would really be pushing for your money back as it sounds like the engine is totalled. But, turners may want the car back.

Ok, so I e called Turners, they were pretty wish washy about the whole thing, just said don't drive it. After waiting an hour I was told to call skoda Road side assistance. Currently waiting on them to arrive to look/collect the car. I was looking over the warranty booklet and it says car hire is provided upto 6 days, but not for the first 8 hours? How does that work? Screenshot_20160629-100643.png

Basically, it stops you hiring a car if yours has a minor fault that can be rectified in a day.

What you wrote read to me that Westover shouldn't have to look at the car.

I was suggesting that with it being an approved used car and Westover being a franchised main dealer then they are obliged to.

But the point was that there is no way the OP should be paying either Turners or Westover a diagnostic fee.

Now that Skoda Assist are involved then this won't be an issue.

But how did you know it was 'approved used'?. It wasn't stated.

The car is five years old and could have high mileage too.

If at that point in time you knew it was approved used then fair enough, but I wasn't assuming it was, and if it wasn't then Westover owed him nothing and would have been able to charge the fee.

But yes, glad it is getting sorted.

It was a good guess, there are very few Skoda franchised dealers allowed to sell used Skoda's outside of Skoda's approved used car scheme.

Most of those cars that are not eligible (age, mileage, condition) are sent to auction.

Another reason why a lot of the older, family run, traditional Skoda dealers which helped to establish Skoda's reputation are now being swapped over to shiny new glass showrooms. Shame, in a way.

Ok, so westover have gone through it and said there are quite a lot of parts that need to be changed, but they don't equate to enough to change the engine. So currently I am talking to Skoda Uk to try and get them to look into doing a full engine replace as I don't think a few fixes are just. I can't remember everything that was said, but they said there was cam shaft damage and oil vales that had gone.

Ok, so they have said they are not going to replace the engine, not even reimburse me for lost money at work or cost of having to insure another car. Even though Turners weren't logging their warranty repairs. So quite upset at skoda now. Any advice.

Two choices, let Skoda do what they said they'll do and fix the car without replacing the engine. Sell it or part exchange it and cut your losses.

Or reject the car. The issues were present when you purchased the car. It appears to me you've given them ample opportunity to fix it. Ask for your money back, walk away and put it down as experience.